* how to stop pagenumbering
@ 2015-12-27 13:21 Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2015-12-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

The command  "\setuppagenumber[state=stop]"  used to stop numbering the pages, now it doesn't.
Has this been changed and did I miss that change?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: how to stop pagenumbering
@ 2015-12-27 16:20 ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2015-12-27 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

More information on this. Statements:

<buffer definition for xml>
\usemodule[hvdm-dvd]
\starttext
\xmlprocessbuffer{dvd}{xmlbuffer}{}
\stoptext
\endinput

in the hvdm-dvd module \setuppagenumber[state=stop] is put inside

\startxmlsetups setup-name
    \setuppapersize[A5][A5]
    \setuppagenumber[state=stop]
   "typesetting operations following"
\stopxmlsetups
In this case pagenumber not suppressed.

However with the following order of statements the pagenumber does get suppressed.

\starttext
  \setuppagenumber[state=stop]
  \xmlprocessbuffer{dvd}{xmlbuffer}{}
\stoptext

In both cases the call to  \setuppagenumber comes before typesetting the page.
Why is the  \setuppagenumber inside the xmlsetup ignored?

Hans van der Meer

@ 2015-12-27 20:47   ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2015-12-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

One more observation on the strangeness of \setuppagenumber.

Putting \setuppagenumber[number=4] before the call to \xmlprocessbuffer and putting \setuppagenumber[state=stop,number=8] inside the \startxmlsetups does make the pagenumber having the value 8. This proves two things:

(1) the \setuppagenumber in the \startxmlsetups is processed before the pagenumber is fixed and typeset

(2) the [state=stop] in the \startxmlsetups is wrongfully ignored, whereas at the same time [number=8] does get honored.

Imho this demonstrates there is an error in the processing of \setuppagenumber when located inside the \startxmlsetups. An error that does not occur when called at the \starttext document-level before the \xmlprocessbuffer.
Could it be a matter of locality?

@ 2015-12-27 20:57     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-12-27 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Meer, Hans van der <mailto:H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>
> 27. Dezember 2015 um 21:47
> One more observation on the strangeness of \setuppagenumber.
>
> Putting \setuppagenumber[number=4] before the call to
> \xmlprocessbuffer and putting\setuppagenumber[state=stop,number=8]
> inside the \startxmlsetups does make the pagenumber having the value
> 8. This proves two things:
>
> (1) the \setuppagenumber in the \startxmlsetups is processed before
> the pagenumber is fixed and typeset
>
> (2) the [state=stop] in the \startxmlsetups is wrongfully ignored,
> whereas at the same time [number=8] does get honored.
>
> Imho this demonstrates there is an error in the processing of
> \setuppagenumber when located inside the \startxmlsetups. An error
> that does not occur when called at the \starttext document-level
> before the \xmlprocessbuffer.
> Could it be a matter of locality?
You have to provide a *working* minimal example.

Wolfgang

* Re: how to stop pagenumbering
@ 2015-12-27 21:25       ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2015-12-27 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

On 27 Dec 2015, at 21:57, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com<mailto:schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

Not so simple, alas.
But I will be greatly helped if you can ascertain that

\startxmlsetups
code within
\stopxmlsetups

is code executed locally as if between \begingroup .. \endgroup.
That would explain the behaviour.
The remedy then could be a more global execution of \setuppagenumber.
I already tried in vain \global\settuppagenumber

@ 2015-12-27 21:32         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-12-27 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)