* \startalignment
@ 2016-01-12 18:07 Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-01-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Jean-Michel pointed out to me the following curiosity:

\starttext
\input tufte
\startalignment[middle]
\input ward
\stopalignment
\input tufte
\stoptext

The startalignment applies to the preceding text, too. Strange...

I never noticed this before as I have the habit of coding
\startalignment\stopalignment blocks set-off with leading and trailing
blank lines for better readability. But such practice could lead to
undesired results. Consider the following example:

\setupwhitespace [big]

\starttext
\input tufte

\startalignment[middle]
\input ward
\stopalignment
\input dawkins
\stoptext

So \stopalignment implicitly imposes a \par.
If I were to omit the blank line before \startalignment so that no big
whitespace be included before the centered block, the tufte text will
get middle aligned. Also, perhaps I might not wish for the dawkins text
to be separated by a big whitespace, logically as in:

\startparagraph
\input tufte
\startalignment [middle]
\input ward
\stopalignment
\input dawkins
\stopparagraph

Indeed, curious behavior.

Alan

* Re: \startalignment
@ 2016-01-12 18:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-01-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Alan BRASLAU <mailto:alan.braslau@cea.fr>
> 12. Januar 2016 um 19:07
> Hello,
>
> Jean-Michel pointed out to me the following curiosity:
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \startalignment[middle]
> \input ward
> \stopalignment
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> The startalignment applies to the preceding text, too. Strange...
It’s a normal behaviour for TeX, the question is should \startalignment
end the previous paragraph or not.
> I never noticed this before as I have the habit of coding
> \startalignment\stopalignment blocks set-off with leading and trailing
> blank lines for better readability. But such practice could lead to
> undesired results. Consider the following example:
>
> \setupwhitespace [big]
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
>
> \startalignment[middle]
> \input ward
> \stopalignment
> \input dawkins
> \stoptext
>
> So \stopalignment implicitly imposes a \par.
> If I were to omit the blank line before \startalignment so that no big
> whitespace be included before the centered block, the tufte text will
> get middle aligned. Also, perhaps I might not wish for the dawkins text
> to be separated by a big whitespace, logically as in:
You can use \startpacked … \stoppacked to suppress blank lines inserted
by \setupwhitespace.

Wolfgang

* Re: \startalignment
@ 2016-01-12 20:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-12 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Alan BRASLAU <mailto:alan.braslau@cea.fr>
>> 12. Januar 2016 um 19:07
>> Hello,
>>
>> Jean-Michel pointed out to me the following curiosity:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>> \startalignment[middle]
>> \input ward
>> \stopalignment
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>>
>> The startalignment applies to the preceding text, too. Strange...
> It’s a normal behaviour for TeX, the question is should \startalignment
> end the previous paragraph or not.

when tex breaks a paragraph into lines the current values of relevant
parameters is used (left and right skips, spacing, etc)

\bgroup \raggedright \inptu tufte \par \egroup

\bgroup \raggedright \inptu tufte \egroup \par

>> I never noticed this before as I have the habit of coding
>> \startalignment\stopalignment blocks set-off with leading and trailing
>> blank lines for better readability. But such practice could lead to
>> undesired results. Consider the following example:
>>
>> \setupwhitespace [big]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>>
>> \startalignment[middle]
>> \input ward
>> \stopalignment
>> \input dawkins
>> \stoptext
>>
>> So \stopalignment implicitly imposes a \par.
>> If I were to omit the blank line before \startalignment so that no big
>> whitespace be included before the centered block, the tufte text will
>> get middle aligned. Also, perhaps I might not wish for the dawkins text
>> to be separated by a big whitespace, logically as in:
> You can use \startpacked … \stoppacked to suppress blank lines inserted
> by \setupwhitespace.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: \startalignment
@ 2016-01-12 20:43     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-01-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 21:07:38 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> >> The startalignment applies to the preceding text, too. Strange...
> > It’s a normal behaviour for TeX, the question is should
> > \startalignment end the previous paragraph or not.
>
> when tex breaks a paragraph into lines the current values of relevant
> parameters is used (left and right skips, spacing, etc)

I guess that I do not know TeX well-enough to understand why your
MWE below gives different line breaks.

\starttext

\bgroup \raggedright \input tufte \par \egroup

\bgroup \raggedright \input tufte \egroup \par

\stoptext

From a practical point-of-view, what would be the "correct" way of
achieving the following (i.e. no paragraph breaks):

\setupwhitespace [big]
\starttext
\input tufte
\\
\startframed
  [frame=off,offset=0pt,before=,after=,width=\textwidth,align=middle]
\input ward \stopframed
\\
\input dawkins
\stoptext

Alan

* Re: \startalignment
@ 2016-01-12 21:18       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/12/2016 9:43 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

>>> It’s a normal behaviour for TeX, the question is should
>>> \startalignment end the previous paragraph or not.
>>
>> when tex breaks a paragraph into lines the current values of relevant
>> parameters is used (left and right skips, spacing, etc)
>
> I guess that I do not know TeX well-enough to understand why your
> MWE below gives different line breaks.
>
> \starttext
>
> \bgroup \raggedright \input tufte \par \egroup
>
> \bgroup \raggedright \input tufte \egroup \par
>
> \stoptext

because the par builder kicks in when \par is issued so when that
happens after teh group the settings for left/rightskip used are not the
one inside the group

Hans