* \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-16 14:26 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2016-01-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

When used in inside \emph, \quote puts the words cited into roman face.
Thus,

\starttext

\emph{The \quote{Problemata} in Medieval Times}

\emph{The \quote{\emph{Problemata}} in Medieval Times}

\stoptext

This seems odd. Should \quote not leave the style of the text as it is?
That is, should the output of line 1 not look like that of line 2?

Alan

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-16 16:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-01-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Alan Bowen <mailto:bowenalan03@gmail.com>
> 16. Januar 2016 um 15:26
> When used in inside \emph, \quote puts the words cited into roman
> face. Thus,
>
> \starttext
>
> \emph{The \quote{Problemata} in Medieval Times}
>
> \emph{The \quote{\emph{Problemata}} in Medieval Times}
>
> \stoptext
>
> This seems odd. Should \quote not leave the style of the text as it
> is? That is, should the output of line 1 not look like that of line 2?
Delimited texts (where \quote belongs to) set the upright font as
default value for the style, see also
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/286743/context-quote-command-resets-font-shape-is-this-a-bug

Wolfgang

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-16 17:55 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-01-16 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Alan Bowen wrote:

> When used in inside \emph, \quote puts the words cited into roman face.
> Thus,
>
> \starttext
>
> \emph{The \quote{Problemata} in Medieval Times}
>
> \emph{The \quote{\emph{Problemata}} in Medieval Times}
>
> \stoptext
>
> This seems odd. Should \quote not leave the style of the text as it is?
> That is, should the output of line 1 not look like that of line 2?

The same question was asked recently on TeX.SE
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/286743/context-quote-command-resets-font-shape-is-this-a-bug

I think that this is just a bad default. You can use:

\setupdelimitedtext[quote][style=]

Aditya

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-16 18:03   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2016-01-16 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Wolfgang!

Alan

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>
> 16. Januar 2016 um 15:26
> When used in inside \emph, \quote puts the words cited into roman face.
> Thus,
>
> \starttext
>
> \emph{The \quote{Problemata} in Medieval Times}
>
> \emph{The \quote{\emph{Problemata}} in Medieval Times}
>
> \stoptext
>
> This seems odd. Should \quote not leave the style of the text as it is?
> That is, should the output of line 1 not look like that of line 2?
>
> Delimited texts (where \quote belongs to) set the upright font as default
> value for the style, see also
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/286743/context-quote-command-resets-font-shape-is-this-a-bug
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-16 18:07   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2016-01-16 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am inclined to agree, Aditya. At least it *is* odd in English typography.
Still thanks for the fix.

Alan

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Alan Bowen wrote:
>
> When used in inside \emph, \quote puts the words cited into roman face.
>> Thus,
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \emph{The \quote{Problemata} in Medieval Times}
>>
>> \emph{The \quote{\emph{Problemata}} in Medieval Times}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> This seems odd. Should \quote not leave the style of the text as it is?
>> That is, should the output of line 1 not look like that of line 2?
>>

> The same question was asked recently on TeX.SE
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/286743/context-quote-command-resets-font-shape-is-this-a-bug
>
> I think that this is just a bad default. You can use:
>
> \setupdelimitedtext[quote][style=]
>
> Aditya

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-17 23:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-17 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/16/2016 6:55 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Alan Bowen wrote:
>
>> When used in inside \emph, \quote puts the words cited into roman face.
>> Thus,
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \emph{The \quote{Problemata} in Medieval Times}
>>
>> \emph{The \quote{\emph{Problemata}} in Medieval Times}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> This seems odd. Should \quote not leave the style of the text as it is?
>> That is, should the output of line 1 not look like that of line 2?
>
> The same question was asked recently on TeX.SE
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/286743/context-quote-command-resets-font-shape-is-this-a-bug
>

> I think that this is just a bad default. You can use:
>
> \setupdelimitedtext[quote][style=]

we could change it (i don't care too much as i've never use them nested)

up to you/wolfgang/... to decide

Hans

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-18  0:06     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-01-18  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
> 18. Januar 2016 um 00:56
>

> we could change it (i don't care too much as i've never use them nested)
>
> up to you/wolfgang/... to decide
Remove the default setting and for completeness sake add style/color
settings to the paragraph alternative.

\unexpanded\def\typo_delimited_par
   {\groupedcommand

{\dostarttaggedchained\t!delimited\currentdelimitedtext\??delimitedtext
% block?
       \typo_delimited_handle_left\c!left
+     \usedelimitedtextstyleandcolor\c!style\c!color
       \dostarttagged\t!delimitedcontent\empty}
      {\dostoptagged
       \typo_delimited_handle_right\c!right
       \removelastskip
       \dostoptagged
       \typo_delimited_pop}}

Wolfgang

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-18  2:19       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-01-18  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
>> 18. Januar 2016 um 00:56
>>

>> we could change it (i don't care too much as i've never use them nested)
>>
>> up to you/wolfgang/... to decide
> Remove the default setting and for completeness sake add style/color settings
> to the paragraph alternative.
>
> \unexpanded\def\typo_delimited_par
>  {\groupedcommand
>     {\dostarttaggedchained\t!delimited\currentdelimitedtext\??delimitedtext
> % block?
>      \typo_delimited_handle_left\c!left
> +     \usedelimitedtextstyleandcolor\c!style\c!color
>      \dostarttagged\t!delimitedcontent\empty}
>     {\dostoptagged
>      \typo_delimited_handle_right\c!right
>      \removelastskip
>      \dostoptagged
>      \typo_delimited_pop}}

I agree. Removing the default setting (style=normal) will be the simplest
solution.

Aditya

* Re: \quote inside \emph
@ 2016-01-18 10:17         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/18/2016 3:19 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>>> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
>>> 18. Januar 2016 um 00:56
>>>

>>> we could change it (i don't care too much as i've never use them nested)
>>>
>>> up to you/wolfgang/... to decide
>> Remove the default setting and for completeness sake add style/color
>> settings to the paragraph alternative.
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\typo_delimited_par
>>  {\groupedcommand
>>
>> {\dostarttaggedchained\t!delimited\currentdelimitedtext\??delimitedtext %
>> block?
>>      \typo_delimited_handle_left\c!left
>> +     \usedelimitedtextstyleandcolor\c!style\c!color
>>      \dostarttagged\t!delimitedcontent\empty}
>>     {\dostoptagged
>>      \typo_delimited_handle_right\c!right
>>      \removelastskip
>>      \dostoptagged
>>      \typo_delimited_pop}}
>
> I agree. Removing the default setting (style=normal) will be the
> simplest solution.

ok (btw, in the past 'normal' was used as signal)

Hans