* If figures are placed left, left-aligned captions are unwantedly centered
@ 2016-01-29 20:30 d_jan
From: d_jan @ 2016-01-29 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello fellow ConTeXt users,

I want to place figures left so that text wraps around them if they have
less width than \textwidth. The figure captions should be aligned left
(flushleft).

What happens: The captions are all centered.

Details:
--------
If I use default={here,nonumber} instead of default={left,nonumber}
in\setupfloat[figure][default=..., the captions are aligned left, just
like they should.

It does not matter if the text warps around the captioned image, the
centered is present for all figure-captions, regardless of their width.

Code demonstrating the behaviour:
---------------------------------

   \setupfloat[figure][default={left,nonumber}]

   \setupcaption[figure][align=flushleft] %prefix: section-wis 3

   \starttext

   %here is some text...
   Lorem Ipsum....

   \placefigure{my figure caption}{\externalfigure[images/image1.jpg]}

   %here is some text
   Lorem Ipsum....
   \placefigure{my figure caption}{\externalfigure[images/image1.jpg]}

Is there any way to left-place figures and have the captions flushleft
aligned? (Ideally while keeping the content after starttext the same)

addition: I tried with an comes-with-Ubuntu-14.04 and a LiveTex2015
Version of ConTeXt, no difference in behavior.

Kind Regards,
 Jan

PS.: Previously posted this on tex.stackexchange too
(http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/289752/if-figures-are-placed-left-left-aligned-captions-are-unwantedly-centered-conte),
but without answers so far.

* Re: If figures are placed left, left-aligned captions are unwantedly centered
@ 2016-01-29 21:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-29 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/29/2016 9:30 PM, d_jan wrote:
> Hello fellow ConTeXt users,
>

> I want to place figures left so that text wraps around them if they have
> less width than \textwidth. The figure captions should be aligned left
> (flushleft).
>
> What happens: The captions are all centered.

What happens is that a caption < width kicks in.

% put this on cont=-new.mkiv

\unprotect

\def\strc_floats_prepare_side_caption_fit
   {\ifdim\wd\b_strc_floats_caption>\wd\b_strc_floats_content\relax
      \setbox\b_strc_floats_caption\vbox
        {\forgetall % needed?
         \hsize\wd\b_strc_floats_content
         \strc_floats_make_complete_caption}%
    \else
       \setbox\b_strc_floats_caption\hpack
         {\strc_floats_make_complete_caption}%
    \fi}

\protect

% then you can do this (maybe Wolfgang can check the logic too):

\starttext

     \setupfloat[figure][default={left,nonumber}]

     \placefigure{my figure caption my figure
caption}{\framed[width=4cm,height=1cm]{}} \input tufte
     \placefigure{my figure caption}
{\framed[width=4cm,height=1cm]{}} \input tufte

     \setupfloat[figure][location=left]

     \placefigure{my figure caption my figure
caption}{\framed[width=4cm,height=1cm]{}} \input tufte
     \placefigure{my figure caption}
{\framed[width=4cm,height=1cm]{}} \input tufte

\stoptext

don't use flushleft as that won't work ok for location

@ 2016-01-29 23:26   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-01-29 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 1/29/2016 9:30 PM, d_jan wrote:
>>  Hello fellow ConTeXt users,
>>

>>  I want to place figures left so that text wraps around them if they have
>>  less width than \textwidth. The figure captions should be aligned left
>>  (flushleft).
>>
>>  What happens: The captions are all centered.
>
> What happens is that a caption < width kicks in.

But we already have a way to get around that: width=max

\setupfloat[figure][default={left,nonumber}]

\setupcaption[figure][align=flushleft, width=max]

\starttext

\placefigure{my figure caption a really long
caption}{\externalfigure[images/image1.jpg]}
\input knuth

\placefigure{my figure caption}{\externalfigure[images/image1.jpg]}
\input tufte
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: If figures are placed left, left-aligned captions are unwantedly centered
@ 2016-01-29 23:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-01-29 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/30/2016 12:26 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2016, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 1/29/2016 9:30 PM, d_jan wrote:
>>>  Hello fellow ConTeXt users,
>>>

>>>  I want to place figures left so that text wraps around them if they
>>> have
>>>  less width than \textwidth. The figure captions should be aligned left
>>>  (flushleft).
>>>
>>>  What happens: The captions are all centered.
>>
>> What happens is that a caption < width kicks in.
>
> But we already have a way to get around that: width=max
>
> \setupfloat[figure][default={left,nonumber}]
>
> \setupcaption[figure][align=flushleft, width=max]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placefigure{my figure caption a really long
> caption}{\externalfigure[images/image1.jpg]}
> \input knuth
>
> \placefigure{my figure caption}{\externalfigure[images/image1.jpg]}
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

indeed, you're right, no need to change something (i'll add an example
to the test suite)

Hans