* Setting expansion depth limit for metapost
@ 2010-03-16 12:43 Michal Suszko
From: Michal Suszko @ 2010-03-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm preparing quite long presentation -- nearly 3000 sides,
900 figures (500 distinct PNG files).
I'm using ConTeXt MkIV installed using minimals (2010.03.12 19:49).
Recently I'm hitting MetaPost capacity limit on expansion depth:

!mplib          : mp terminal: ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [expansion depth=10000].

Increasing expand_depth in texmf.cnf and regenerating formats with
context --make doesn't help. expansion depth is still at 10000 in error
message.

texmf.cnf in texmf-local I've changed is reported by context as first one in
log line starting with "mkiv lua stats : used config path"

What am I missing?

Michal

* Re: Setting expansion depth limit for metapost
@ 2010-03-17  9:27 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-17  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Suszko wrote:
> I'm preparing quite long presentation -- nearly 3000 sides,
> 900 figures (500 distinct PNG files).
> I'm using ConTeXt MkIV installed using minimals (2010.03.12 19:49).
> Recently I'm hitting MetaPost capacity limit on expansion depth:
>
> !mplib          : mp terminal: ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [expansion depth=10000].
>
> Increasing expand_depth in texmf.cnf and regenerating formats with
> context --make doesn't help. expansion depth is still at 10000 in error
> message.

This is because recursion in metapost takes place on the C stack,
and that does not allow growth. But do you really need 10000 expansion
levels? That seems a little weird.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Setting expansion depth limit for metapost
@ 2010-03-17 11:57   ` Michal Suszko
From: Michal Suszko @ 2010-03-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> [2010-03-17 10:27:41 +0100]:

> Michal Suszko wrote:
> > I'm preparing quite long presentation -- nearly 3000 sides,
> > 900 figures (500 distinct PNG files).
> > I'm using ConTeXt MkIV installed using minimals (2010.03.12 19:49).
> > Recently I'm hitting MetaPost capacity limit on expansion depth:
> >
> > !mplib          : mp terminal: ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [expansion depth=10000].
> >
> > Increasing expand_depth in texmf.cnf and regenerating formats with
> > context --make doesn't help. expansion depth is still at 10000 in error
> > message.
>
> This is because recursion in metapost takes place on the C stack,
> and that does not allow growth. But do you really need 10000 expansion
> levels? That seems a little weird.

I don't see where this could come from. If I split document in half both
parts are building fine.

Michał

* Re: Setting expansion depth limit for metapost
@ 2010-03-17 12:10     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-17 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Suszko wrote:
> * Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> [2010-03-17 10:27:41 +0100]:
>
>> Michal Suszko wrote:
>>> I'm preparing quite long presentation -- nearly 3000 sides,
>>> 900 figures (500 distinct PNG files).
>>> I'm using ConTeXt MkIV installed using minimals (2010.03.12 19:49).
>>> Recently I'm hitting MetaPost capacity limit on expansion depth:
>>>
>>> !mplib          : mp terminal: ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [expansion depth=10000].
>>>
>>> Increasing expand_depth in texmf.cnf and regenerating formats with
>>> context --make doesn't help. expansion depth is still at 10000 in error
>>> message.
>> This is because recursion in metapost takes place on the C stack,
>> and that does not allow growth. But do you really need 10000 expansion
>> levels? That seems a little weird.
>
> I don't see where this could come from. If I split document in half both
> parts are building fine.

It could be a bug in mplib then, but I can't test that without
an input example. Can you create me one? (it could consist of one
massive \dorecurse call, I assume?).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Setting expansion depth limit for metapost
@ 2010-03-19 17:22       ` Michal Suszko
From: Michal Suszko @ 2010-03-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> [2010-03-17 13:10:19 +0100]:

> It could be a bug in mplib then, but I can't test that without
> an input example. Can you create me one? (it could consist of one
> massive \dorecurse call, I assume?).

Trying to prepare minimal working example of this problem I isolated it in
the process. There were 3 MP graphics each one used once on each page.
After change them from

\startuseMPgraphic ... \stopuseMPgraphic
and \useMPgraphic

\startreusableMPgraphic ... \stopreusableMPgraphic
and \useMPgraphic

error messages disappeared.

Michał

* Re: Setting expansion depth limit for metapost
@ 2016-02-18 22:20         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-18 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/18/2016 11:03 PM, Michal Suszko wrote:
> * Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> [2010-03-17 13:10:19 +0100]:
>
>> It could be a bug in mplib then, but I can't test that without
>> an input example. Can you create me one? (it could consist of one
>> massive \dorecurse call, I assume?).
>
> Trying to prepare minimal working example of this problem I isolated it in
> the process. There were 3 MP graphics each one used once on each page.
> After change them from
>
> \startuseMPgraphic ... \stopuseMPgraphic
> and \useMPgraphic

> \startreusableMPgraphic ... \stopreusableMPgraphic
> and \useMPgraphic
>
> error messages disappeared.

if that can be used it's always better (more efficient) but it's anyway
strange so there is an issue in your graphic