* Re: Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
       [not found] <12314_1456159130_56CB399A_12314_11481_1_20160222093651.0b9d55b3@cea.fr>
@ 2016-02-22 16:53 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-02-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should add that the newsletter was apparently composed using Adobe
InDesign!

Alan

* Re: Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
@ 2016-02-22 17:46   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-02-22 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/22/2016 05:53 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> I should add that the newsletter was apparently composed using Adobe
> InDesign!

Good typography isn’t a software program, but a craft. (I guess... )

Your example scared me. My goodness!

I saw a worse example from a publishing house that added small caps
where they really hardened readability (including also capital letters
for headings) and for some strange reason, last lines in some justified
paragraphs were centered. Only to name two features.

This book was published by a well-known academic press in Spain. They
could handle Adobe InDesign, but I’m afraid they had no basic
sensibility for typography.

I regularly check books at bookstores and the vast majority of them
don’t excel in typographic quality (of course, I my opinion). Most of
them even fail in what I consider basic typographic rules.

It is a pity, but typography is only noticed by everybody when it is awful.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
@ 2016-02-22 19:14     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-02-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:46:36 +0100
Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> Good typography isn’t a software program, but a craft. (I guess... )
>
> Your example scared me. My goodness!

I have tried

\setupalign
  [nothyphenated,verytolerant,stretch] % hz?

\definefontfeature [nokern] [kern=no,liga=no]

\setff{nokern}

and still I cannot produce anything near as horrible (without adding
multiple non-breakable spaces and the like)!

Alan

* Re: Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
@ 2016-02-22 21:37       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-22 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/22/2016 8:14 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:46:36 +0100
> Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
>
>> Good typography isn’t a software program, but a craft. (I guess... )
>>
>> Your example scared me. My goodness!
>
> I have tried
>
> \setupalign
>    [nothyphenated,verytolerant,stretch] % hz?
>
> \definefontfeature [nokern] [kern=no,liga=no]
>
> \setff{nokern}
>
> and still I cannot produce anything near as horrible (without adding
> multiple non-breakable spaces and the like)!

\starttext

     \definedfont[Serif]   % no kerns and ligatures and ...
     \hsize 10cm           % kind of columns
     \emergencystretch10cm % make sure we can be very loose
     \looseness 6          % losen up the already not ideal paragraph
     \normallanguage0      % don't hyphenate
     \input tufte          % some text

\stoptext

* Re: Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
@ 2016-02-22 22:54       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-02-22 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/22/2016 08:14 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:46:36 +0100 Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Good typography isn’t a software program, but a craft. (I guess... )
>>
>> Your example scared me. My goodness!
>
> I have tried
>
> \setupalign
>   [nothyphenated,verytolerant,stretch] % hz?
>
> \definefontfeature [nokern] [kern=no,liga=no]
>
> \setff{nokern}
>
> and still I cannot produce anything near as horrible (without adding
> multiple non-breakable spaces and the like)!

Who knows what did the user to «create» such a typesetting...

BTW, I remember that Erik Spiekermann stated that typography isn’t about
the blank marks, but the space in between. (I think Jan Tschichold had a
very simlilar concept [but I don’t remember where].)

Well, it is clear that the «author» of that typesetting couldn’t handle
the blank space.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
@ 2016-02-22 18:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/22/2016 5:36 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was dismayed to read the February newsletter published by a large
> University: the attached extract shows a nice example of the quality
> of the typesetting... It is in French, but that doesn't matter, anyone
> can see the result independent of the language.
>
> I share it with the ConTeXt list as we see more and more examples like
> this, and the sad thing is that most readers think that they could care
> less. Are readers (and writers) really becoming so sloppy? Have we
> become so perverted by poor rendering by HTML engines that we now will
> accept anything?

that really looks bad

i always wonder why nowadays there is so much talk about (in nl)
dyslexia and compensation programs at schools while at the same time
most texts are so badly done that nothing can compensate anyway

i must admit that i often don't buy a what looks like an interesting
book simply because there is that inconsistent (letter)spacing and
stretching combined with avoiding hyphenation going on (ok, th ebenefit
is that my reading backlog grows a bit slower)

> I do not know about others, but I find it extremely difficult to read
> newspapers (or much anything else) online.

here (at pragma) we actually prefer a paper newspaper because now we see
it laying on the table and we browse and discuss what we read when we
start the day and/or while drinking coffee etc etc (i'm also an old
fashion tv news watcher)

Hans

* Example of quality typesetting (sic.)
@ 2016-02-22 16:36 Alan BRASLAU