From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
	"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Are nested sections possible?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:11:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On 3/15/2016 8:09 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:10:27 +0100
> "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
>> But don't let anyone
>> tell you that explicit names are "antiquated." They make TeX or xml
>> source documents so much more readable! And when you have to retrace
>> five levels of \startsectionlevels because you want to change the
>> structure of your document, you will rue the day you abandoned proper
>> names.
>
> When you want to change the structure of your document when using
> structure levels, all that you need do is add or subtract a level of
> nesting. With named levels, it is easy to create complicated documents
> that jump around in level, which would be pretty messy.

on the other hand, when you look at a piece of coded document you no
longer know if you're in an important chapter or unimportant
subsubsubsubsubsubsection

so, in the end it all boils down to circumstances and usage which is why
we have several methods

> What a nightmare it would be to add or subtract a named structure level
> in a complicated document.
>
> This being said, I still mostly use named structure levels myself, as
> old habits are hard to change (but don't tell Hans this!).

ha, well, if i remember right this nested anonymous sectioning was added
on your request .. so it is now one of those orphaned features

anyway, i tend to replace

\chapter{foo}

by

\startchapter[title=foo]

\stopchapter

but at a much lower level keep using \subsubsection and alike

(also because then with chapters one can more conveniently set other
properties)

Hans