From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Length range control of the last line of paragraph
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 17:56:07 +0100	[thread overview]

On 3/25/2016 2:40 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> On 2016-03-24 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 3/24/2016 8:36 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
>>>
>>> We basically need:
>>> <text><glue min-width='XX' max-width='hsize-3*indent'>
>>>
>>> and I thought this is exactly what \parfillskip ensures
>>> \parfillskip XX plus (hsize - 3*indent)
>>>

>> the fil is taken into account when calculating the best break points
>> and then the XX is fixed but plus/minus can lead to if being less
>> or more, all relative to other fill (distributed)
>>
>> so, XX plus (hsize - 3*indent) is not a fixed value, it's XX or more
>>
>> take this:
>>
>> \ruledhbox to 10cm {x\hskip0pt plus 1cm x}
>>
>> the skip will stretch more than 1cm
>
> I can see.
>
> But sorry for my ignorance, as far as I understand, \parfillskip is added to the end of the paragraph, so we have rather
> \ruledhbox to 10cm {x\hskip0pt plus 1cm} % without that 'x' at the end, so no 'glue' distribution is performed
>
> If '\parfillskip 2em plus (hsize - 3*(2em) - 2em)' is specified, I still think we should get space of width at least 2em '####' which can be extended as indicated by hyphens '-' here:
>
> emememememememememememememememememememem
> emememememem------------------------####
>
> So there are two last line lengths extrems:
> (shortest)
> emememememememememememememememememememem
> emememememem
>
> (longest)
> emememememememememememememememememememem
> emememememememememememememememememem
>
> I slightly modified your example and even with verystrict settings all seems to be fine (except too narrow blocks, which is not my use case).
>
> \showmakeup[glue]
>
> \setupindenting[yes,2em]
>
> \edef\ward{\cldloadfile{ward}}
>
> \setupalign[verystrict,hz]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{100}{
>       \hsize\dimexpr\textwidth-#1mm\relax
>       \dimen0=\hsize
>       \advance\dimen0 by -8em % 3*em - 2em
>       \parfillskip 2em plus \dimen0\relax
>       \ward  \par
>       \parfillskip 2em plus \dimen0\relax
>       \ward  \par
>       \startnarrower[left]
>           \parfillskip 2em plus \dimen0\relax
>           \ward \par
>       \stopnarrower
>       \startnarrower[left]
>           \parfillskip 2em plus \dimen0\relax
>           \ward \par
>       \stopnarrower
>       \page
> }
> \stoptext
>
> The problem here this settings cannot be done globally if there are various block widths.
>
> Can I somehow define command globally which takes local block widths?
>
> \parfillskip #1 plus \localhsize-#1-#2, where
> #1 gap width
> #2 shortest line width

As expected, results are on the average worse than an occasional
relatively short last line. One cannot expect to find good solutions
when the solutionspace is too small.

\startluacode
function builders.paragraphs.constructors.methods.crap(head)
     local needed  = 2 * tex.parindent
     if needed > 0 then
         local maximum = tex.hsize
         local cycles  = 500
         local step    = 65536
         local done    = 0
         local tail    = node.tail(head)
         while true and done < cycles do
             local h = nodes.copy_list(head)
             local t = nodes.tail(h)
             local d, r = tex.linebreak(h)
             local l = node.tail(d)
             if d ~= l and l.subtype == nodes.listcodes.line then
                 local natural = nodes.dimensions(l.list,t.prev)
                 node.flush_list(d)
                 if natural >= needed then
                     break
                 elseif natural >= maximum then
                     break
                 else
                     local maybe = maximum - needed - done*step
                     if maybe > 0 then
                         tail.width   = maybe
                         tail.stretch = 0
                         tail.shrink  = 0
                         done = done + 1
                     else
                         break
                     end
                 end
             else
                 node.flush_list(d)
             end
         end
         if done > 0 then
             logs.report("crap","last line enforced in %i steps",done)
         end
     end
end
\stopluacode