* first-setup.bat weirdness II: xetex etc.
@ 2016-07-19 23:42 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2016-07-19 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear syndicate,

As mentioned in my other message, "first-setup.bat weirdness I: cloned
system" I've now switched to the first-setup.bat way of updating. Two
pieces of weirdness on the main machine:

1. mtx-context     | running command: xetex --ini --etex --8bit
cont-en.mkii \dump

makes vista complain:

=====================
xetex.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because xetex.dll was not found.
<etc.>
=====================

Pressing OK, xetex crashes and things continue until

2. mtx-context     | running command: xetex --ini --etex --8bit
cont-nl.mkii \dump

Then the same error occurs.

After xetex crashes things continue briefly till first-setup.bat exits.

Everything works fine, except that every now and then the following
happens when I run a file:

=====================
This is LuaTeX, Version 0.97.0 (TeX Live 2016/W32TeX)
  system commands enabled.
.
<*>
  cont-yes.mkiv
?
=====================

A fresh run of first-setup.bat makes the problem go away but it is
annoying. After getting even more weirdness when cloning to another
machine -- see "first-setup.bat weirdness I: cloned system" -- it seems
appropriate to put this one out to the forum as well.

Any explanations and advice would be appreciated. Never had these problems
using when updating manually... Thanks in advance and

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

* Re: first-setup.bat weirdness II: xetex etc.
@ 2016-07-20  7:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-07-20  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/20/2016 1:42 AM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
> Dear syndicate,
>
> As mentioned in my other message, "first-setup.bat weirdness I: cloned
> system" I've now switched to the first-setup.bat way of updating. Two
> pieces of weirdness on the main machine:
>
> 1. mtx-context     | running command: xetex --ini --etex --8bit
> cont-en.mkii \dump
>
> makes vista complain:
>
> =====================
> xetex.exe - Unable to Locate Component
>
> This application has failed to start because xetex.dll was not found.
> <etc.>
> =====================
>
> Pressing OK, xetex crashes and things continue until
>
> 2. mtx-context     | running command: xetex --ini --etex --8bit
> cont-nl.mkii \dump
>
> Then the same error occurs.
>
> After xetex crashes things continue briefly till first-setup.bat exits.
>
> Everything works fine, except that every now and then the following
> happens when I run a file:
>
> =====================
> This is LuaTeX, Version 0.97.0 (TeX Live 2016/W32TeX)
>  system commands enabled.
> .
> <*>
>  cont-yes.mkiv
> ?
> =====================
>
> A fresh run of first-setup.bat makes the problem go away but it is
> annoying. After getting even more weirdness when cloning to another
> machine -- see "first-setup.bat weirdness I: cloned system" -- it seems
> appropriate to put this one out to the forum as well.
>
> Any explanations and advice would be appreciated. Never had these
> problems using when updating manually... Thanks in advance and

if you do a fresh install with

--engine=luatex

then you'll never run into xetex or pdftex issues as they will not get
installed (you get a smaller footprint too)

Hans