* LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23  7:55 Benny Schurig
From: Benny Schurig @ 2021-05-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Julian,

afaik with lmtx a setup is not necessary. With mk iv it established the
tex tree. With lmtx the tree is somehow self-contained.

I use lmtx and point the compile command of my editor of choice (Geany,
Kile, Texmaker, Emacs whatever) directly to
.../context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script
context [file]

Best, Benny

PS: First answer with phone, html message, weird stuff

Von: jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>
Datum: So., 23. Mai 2021, 08:52
An: mailing list for ConTeXt users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Betreff: [NTG-context] LMTX install

     Someone will quickly clarify what I am doing wrong here. Have used mkiv
     until now but decided to download and install LMTX in
     /home/me/bin/context.

     I then ran  export
     PATH=/home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:$PATH as the install
     script indicated at the end.

     When running mk iv, I always first ran a setup line (in my case it
     was .
     /home/me/Documents/Freedom/Context/tex/setuptex). Do I need to run a
     setup also for LMTX installed as above? And what one, because there is
     no 'setuptex' as far as I can see. If I just run context myfile.tex I
     get the mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or
     'mtx-context.lua' message. Does this mean my 'path' command didn't work
     (and why not? It should have) or do I still need to run a setup
     before I
     try to compile?

     Julian

* Re: LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23 23:01         ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-05-23 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

To all who assisted me in thinking the problem through (permission
errors): Bruce, Luigi, Benny, Hans, Werner. Thank you!

Julian

On 24/5/21 3:42 am, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> I just setup a Mint virtual machine as a test and it all worked as expected so I'm not sure why you're having a problem. However you wrote earlier that you are using "Mint 21" but I can only find "Mint 20.1 LTS" - I assume that's what you meant?
>
> If so then I suggest that you create a new Linux user and try installing under that new user. If it works then it's something in your user account. If it fails then ... well, we're no worse off. :-)
>
>> On 23 May 2021, at 11:14, jbf <roma83537@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Then something is not making sense (to me).
>>
>> .bashrc clearly shows: export PATH=$PATH:/home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin, so does that not mean that bin can be found via the path? So why does 'context myfile.tex' not work?
>>
>> If I run a full path (. /home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun context myfile.tex) I get the message 'cannot execute binary file' and yet mtxrun is executable. I checked. Clearly I am making a basic error, but cannot work out what.
> —
> Bruce Horrocks
> Hampshire, UK

* Re: LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23 17:42       ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2021-05-23 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2021-05-23 12:34       ` Werner Hennrich
From: Werner Hennrich @ 2021-05-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Julian, is the luametatex file in that directory executable?
both context and mtxrun are links to it:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx xxx      10  context -> luametatex
-rw-r--r-- 1 xxx xxx    1315  context.lua
-rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 2957368  luametatex
-rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 7150016  luatex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx xxx      10  mtxrun -> luametatex
-rw-r--r-- 1 xxx xxx  689635  mtxrun.lua

all the best!
Werner

Am 23.05.21 um 12:14 schrieb jbf:
> Then something is not making sense (to me).
>
> .bashrc clearly shows: export
> PATH=$PATH:/home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin, so does that
> not mean that bin can be found via the path? So why does 'context
> myfile.tex' not work?
>
> If I run a full path (.
> /home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun context myfile.tex)
> I get the message 'cannot execute binary file' and yet mtxrun is
> executable. I checked. Clearly I am making a basic error, but cannot
> work out what.
>
> Julian

* Re: LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23 10:53       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2021-05-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il Dom 23 Mag 2021, 12:14 jbf <roma83537@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Then something is not making sense (to me).
>
> .bashrc clearly shows: export
> PATH=$PATH:/home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin, so does that not
> mean that bin can be found via the path? So why does 'context
> myfile.tex' not work?
>
> If I run a full path (.
> /home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun context myfile.tex) I
> get the message 'cannot execute binary file' and yet mtxrun is
> executable. I checked. Clearly I am making a basic error, but cannot
> work out what.
>
> Julian

In general I always set
export PATH=<tex bin path>:$PATH

--
luigi

* Re: LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23 10:14     ` jbf
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: jbf @ 2021-05-23 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/5/21 7:54 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/23/2021 9:52 AM, Benny Schurig wrote:
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> afaik with lmtx a setup is not necessary. With mk iv it established
>> the tex tree. With lmtx the tree is somehow self-contained.
>>
>> I use lmtx and point the compile command of my editor of choice
>> (Geany, Kile, Texmaker, Emacs whatever) directly to
>> .../context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script
>> context [file]
> Even mkiv doesn't need it .. just make sure the bin can be found (via
> the path) or call it fully quallified. Once started th ebinary can
> figure out where it sits in the tree.
>
> The setup script(s) also (at least in the beginning) made sure that
> when for some reason an other tex installation had set some variables
> related to the "TDS" they were nilled, but when a context user just
> install context that doesn't happen
>
> Hans

>                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23  9:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-05-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-05-23  9:22   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-05-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linux Mint 21 and yes, followed precisely the instructions on the wiki
page. mtxrun is executable. Not sure why this has to be so difficult but
it is not working.

Julian

On 23/5/21 5:53 pm, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 23 May 2021, at 07:52, jbf <roma83537@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Someone will quickly clarify what I am doing wrong here. Have used mkiv until now but decided to download and install LMTX in /home/me/bin/context.
>>
>> I then ran  export PATH=/home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:$PATH as the install script indicated at the end.
>>
>> When running mk iv, I always first ran a setup line (in my case it was . /home/me/Documents/Freedom/Context/tex/setuptex). Do I need to run a setup also for LMTX installed as above? And what one, because there is no 'setuptex' as far as I can see. If I just run context myfile.tex I get the mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua' message. Does this mean my 'path' command didn't work (and why not? It should have) or do I still need to run a setup before I try to compile?
> You don't say which Linux you are using so I would first check to see that
>   /home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun
> is executable.
>
> I assume that you followed the instructions on the wiki page here?
> <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation>
>
> (Sorry to be so pedantic but it helps us to know exactly what you have done.)
>
> —
> Bruce Horrocks
> Hampshire, UK

* Re: LMTX install
@ 2021-05-23  8:33   ` Julian Fox
From: Julian Fox @ 2021-05-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not pedantic, just correct. I should have said Linux Mint 21! I'll check
the status of mtxrun but I thought all that would be automatic

On Sun, 23 May 2021, 5:54 pm Bruce Horrocks, <ntg@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2021, at 07:52, jbf <roma83537@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Someone will quickly clarify what I am doing wrong here. Have used mkiv
> until now but decided to download and install LMTX in /home/me/bin/context.
> >
> > I then ran  export
> PATH=/home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:$PATH as the install
> script indicated at the end.
> >
> > When running mk iv, I always first ran a setup line (in my case it was .
> /home/me/Documents/Freedom/Context/tex/setuptex). Do I need to run a setup
> also for LMTX installed as above? And what one, because there is no
> 'setuptex' as far as I can see. If I just run context myfile.tex I get the
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
> message. Does this mean my 'path' command didn't work (and why not? It
> should have) or do I still need to run a setup before I try to compile?
>
> You don't say which Linux you are using so I would first check to see that
>  /home/me/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun
> is executable.
>
> I assume that you followed the instructions on the wiki page here?
> <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation>
>
> (Sorry to be so pedantic but it helps us to know exactly what you have
> done.)
>
> —
> Bruce Horrocks
> Hampshire, UK