Thanks for the clarification, Wolfgang. Am 20.04.2016 um 16:25 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster: > [...] >> I was looking for a general way how to substitute one glyph with >> another depending on context, thus I can't see how there are >> different problems in my post? But it's good to hear that others have >> thought at least of a partial solution. >> >> Is my guess right that normally the author of a font ought to provide >> otf features that can be switched on and off to get one result >> instead of the other? That area seems to be utter chaos in the >> Calluna fonts. > The output of \sc to produce small capitals depends on the font and > it’s the font designers job to provide a small ẞ (he could use > stilistic sets to let you choose between ß and ẞ). Well, there's the problem, I think. Jos Buivenga, aka exljbris, Calluna's font designer, has done a superb job on the graphics (in my eyes), but his stylistic sets or otf features seem to be full of holes, as far as I understand them, which is perhaps not very far. What I'm looking for is a way on the TeX, LuaTeX or ConTeXt level to define "environments" ('scuse my LaTeX slang) within which certain glyph substitutions happen. Then I could kind of redefine a thing like \sc to use the smallcaps ß and switch to smallcaps lining figures, if available, or, otherwise, scaled-down uppercase lining figures. I have still other fish to fry in this context, but a general hint where to look for something like this would be helpful. Thanks a lot so far -- Thomas