* Palatino Linotype under MKIV
@ 2010-06-29  9:15 Paul Schalck
From: Paul Schalck @ 2010-06-29  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm trying to use the full glyph range of the Palatino Linotype font shipped
with XP (version 1.40; significantly different from the Windows 7 one) under
MKIV. Everything works fine (oldstyle figures, sups for instance), except
that the small cap "i" character has a dot whereas it shouldn't.

Here's a test file. The result, produced on WinXP / ConTeXt beta 2010-06-23,
is attached.

\definefontfeature[palatinolt-default][script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,trep=yes,tlig=yes,protrusion=quality]
\definefontfeature[palatinolt-smcp][script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,trep=yes,tlig=yes,protrusion=quality,smcp=yes,onum=yes]
\definefontfeature[palatinolt-sups][mode=node,script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,trep=yes,tlig=yes,protrusion=quality,sups=yes]

\starttypescript[serif][palatinolt][name]
\usetypescript[serif][fallback]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][file:pala.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold][file:palab.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][file:palai.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][file:palabi.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][file:pala.ttf][features=palatinolt-smcp]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[palatinolt][rm][serif][palatinolt][default]

\setupbodyfont[palatinolt]
\enableprotruding\setuppagenumbering[location=]

\starttext
{\sc \input knuth }
\stoptext

As far as I can see, it has to do with the messy name list of the glyphs.
Both the normal small cap i and the small cap dotted i are named "i.sc", but
the wrong one is picked when the smcp feature is activated. Moreover, the
small cap glyphs have no unicode numbers in this font, so I cannot pick them
manually with \char"XXXX or even with \charXXXXX.

Any ideas how I can get the right dottless i?

[-- Attachment #2: palatinolt_mkiv_test.pdf --]

* Re: Palatino Linotype under MKIV
@ 2010-06-30  7:33 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-06-30  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/29/2010 11:15 AM, Paul Schalck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the full glyph range of the Palatino Linotype font
> shipped with XP (version 1.40; significantly different from the Windows
> 7 one) under MKIV. Everything works fine (oldstyle figures, sups for
> instance), except that the small cap "i" character has a dot whereas it
> shouldn't.

I borrowed one of the fonts from my wife's XP install (pala.ttf).

The short answer: the font is borked, complain to Microsoft.

The long answer: lookups are name-based, and if there are two glyphs
with the same name, you can't know which one is used in any particular
piece of software.

> As far as I can see, it has to do with the messy name list of the
> glyphs. Both the normal small cap i and the small cap dotted i are named
> "i.sc"

The one with a dot is meant for Turkish.

> Moreover, the small cap glyphs have no unicode numbers in this font, so
> I cannot pick them manually with \char"XXXX or even with \charXXXXX.
>
> Any ideas how I can get the right dottless i?

Context always maps all unencoded glyphs into a private area starting
at 0xF0000. For this font, the first i.sc (the one without dot) is at
0xF00AF and has glyph index 0x456, and the second is at 0xF00EB
with glyph index 0x492.

To find these numbers, run a file like this:

   \usemodule[fnt-10]
   \starttext
   \ShowCompleteFont{file:pala.ttf}{20pt}{1}
   \stoptext

This means that to get the dotless version, you could enter \char"F00AF

Really long answer: to fix the problem nicely, we have to rename one of
the two glyphs.

This could be done in an external editor, but as this is a system font,
that may not be wise or even possible. Luckily, context allows to do
this using a patching system that is active during initial font loading
time (when the cache is generated).

In the following, we will be patching the generated cache file before
it is saved (by putting some lua code at the beginning of your test
file). Remember that you have to delete the generated cache
files after each iteration. In my case, they were /opt/tex/texmf-
cache/luatex-cache/context/c24894930eb65eadf7b71f1e305ff518/fonts/otf/pala.tm*.
If you forget to do this step in between runs,
nothing will change in the output!

The existing font patches are in font-pat.lua, and from that file it is
possible to deduce that something like this is the correct program
structure, theoretically:

\startluacode
function palapatch (data,filename)
    -- to be filled in
end
fonts.otf.enhancers.patches["^pala"] = palapatch
\stopluacode

The two arguments to the patch function are the data table from the
luafontloader and the font file name, respectively. The function
should patch the data table to our liking and does not have to return
anything.

In order to have a good look at the data, the first thing to do is to
dump the data to a file. Put this code at the top of your test file,
delete the data cache files, and run:

   \startluacode
   function palapatch (data,filename)
      io.savedata(filename .. '.lua', table.serialize(data))
   end

   fonts.otf.enhancers.patches["^pala"] = palapatch
   \stopluacode

   \definefontfeature [...]

Afterwards, open pala.ttf.lua (or pala.TTF.lua. not sure how this works
out on an actual XP install) in an editor for browsing.

Looking at the lua code in pala.ttf.lua, you will see that there
is a pretty large sub-array called 'glyphs', which happens to be
indexed by glyph id.  There are two entries in that sub-array called
'i.sc' and we will want to change the second of those to 'i.scturkish'
(the one at 0x492, the number we discovered above).

Change the lua code to the code below, save your test file, delete the
data cache again, and rerun.

\startluacode
function palapatch (data,filename)
      data.glyphs[0x492].name = "a.scturkish"
end

fonts.otf.enhancers.patches["^pala"] = palapatch
\stopluacode

That's one problem fixed. If you look at the test's pdf, it will now
have dotless i's in the smallcaps. But now we have broken the
turkish smallcaps code (it will now also use the first i.sc, which is
wrong) so it is nice to fix that as well. Some searching back and forth
through the pala.ttf.lua code reveals that there are two lookups that
use i.sc: ss_latn_l_13_s (for normal latin) and ss_latn_l_14_s (for
turkish). These lookups are part of the glyph definition of 'i' which
lives at 0x92 (I found that number in the earlier font dump, but you
could also count the entries in pala.ttf.lua, if you are bored or like
counting stuff).

Named lookups are small arrays (you can deduce that from the double
braces in pala.ttf.lua), so the needed patch is:

data.glyphs[0x92].lookups["ss_latn_l_14_s"][1].specification.variant="a.scturkish"

And that will fix the turkish lookup. Now, I want to make sure we
only run this code for palatino version 1.40 (it should be obvious
why), and it is nice to do a terminal message as well. (note: testing
for just the font version ignores the fact that different vendors may
use the same font name for different fonts, but that is a complication
that I think can be ignored in this particular case).

The end result is:

\startluacode
function palapatch (data,filename)
      if data.version == "1.40" then
         logs.report("load otf", "patching smallcaps i")

data.glyphs[0x92].lookups["ss_latn_l_14_s"][1].specification.variant="a.scturkish"
         data.glyphs[0x492].name = "a.scturkish"
      end
end

fonts.otf.enhancers.patches["^palatino"] = palapatch
\stopluacode

Updated test file attached. I hope this makes sense to someone who is
willing to wikify the process.

Best wishes,
Taco

[-- Attachment #2: palasc.tex --]

* Re: Palatino Linotype under MKIV
@ 2010-06-30  7:46   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-06-30  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> [...]
> why), and it is nice to do a terminal message as well. (note: testing
> for just the font version ignores the fact that different vendors may
> use the same font name for different fonts, but that is a complication
> that I think can be ignored in this particular case).
>
> The end result is:
>
> \startluacode
> function palapatch (data,filename)
>     if data.version == "1.40" then
>        logs.report("load otf", "patching smallcaps i")
>
> data.glyphs[0x92].lookups["ss_latn_l_14_s"][1].specification.variant="a.scturkish"
>        data.glyphs[0x492].name = "a.scturkish"
>     end
> end
>
> fonts.otf.enhancers.patches["^palatino"] = palapatch
> \stopluacode
>
> Updated test file attached. I hope this makes sense to someone who is
Well, at least a good starting point for an article for MAPS.
Maybe this can solve the problem of font with zero-widths-glyphs that makes
invalid  pdf/A files

--
luigi

* Re: Palatino Linotype under MKIV
@ 2010-06-30 16:16   ` Paul Schalck
From: Paul Schalck @ 2010-06-30 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Taco Hoekwater

Thank you very much, Taco, especially for the detailed explanations you
gave! It works like a charm. I've made a new Wiki page (my first one),
mainly based on your answer:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV

@ 2010-08-06  7:20     ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-08-06  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:16, Paul Schalck <schickele@web.de> wrote:
> Thank you very much, Taco, especially for the detailed explanations you
> gave! It works like a charm. I've made a new Wiki page (my first one),
> mainly based on your answer:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV

I follow this example to test fonts Palatino. It works perfectly. Thanks!

But when I do some math with \startformula ... \stopformula, I got
LMRoman12-Regular and LMMathItalic12-Regular in my PDF.

My stupid question: How to use math symbols of Palatino ?

Thanks,

* Re: Palatino Linotype under MKIV
@ 2010-08-06  7:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-06  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-8-2010 9:20, Vnpenguin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:16, Paul Schalck<schickele@web.de>  wrote:
>> Thank you very much, Taco, especially for the detailed explanations you
>> gave! It works like a charm. I've made a new Wiki page (my first one),
>> mainly based on your answer:
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV
>>

> I follow this example to test fonts Palatino. It works perfectly. Thanks!
>
> But when I do some math with \startformula ... \stopformula, I got
> LMRoman12-Regular and LMMathItalic12-Regular in my PDF.
>
> My stupid question: How to use math symbols of Palatino ?

use the ones based on the px fonts (search for palatino in  font-otf.mkiv)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-06  8:02         ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-08-06  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 09:24, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>> Thank you very much, Taco, especially for the detailed explanations you
>>> gave! It works like a charm. I've made a new Wiki page (my first one),
>>> mainly based on your answer:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV
>>>

>> I follow this example to test fonts Palatino. It works perfectly. Thanks!
>>
>> But when I do some math with \startformula ... \stopformula, I got
>> LMRoman12-Regular and LMMathItalic12-Regular in my PDF.
>>
>> My stupid question: How to use math symbols of Palatino ?
>
> use the ones based on the px fonts (search for palatino in  font-otf.mkiv)

Do you mean "type-otf.mkiv" ? I can't found "font-otf.mkiv" in my
minimal installation here.

I tried to add:
\starttypescript [math][palatino][all]
    \loadfontgoodies[px-math]
    \definefontsynonym[MathRoman][pxmath@px-math]
\stoptypescript

into the example code. But it does not work.
Could you give me some idea please ?

Thanks

* Re: Palatino Linotype under MKIV
@ 2010-08-06 10:34           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-06 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-8-2010 10:02, Vnpenguin wrote:

>>> I follow this example to test fonts Palatino. It works perfectly. Thanks!
>>>
>>> But when I do some math with \startformula ... \stopformula, I got
>>> LMRoman12-Regular and LMMathItalic12-Regular in my PDF.
>>>
>>> My stupid question: How to use math symbols of Palatino ?
>>
>> use the ones based on the px fonts (search for palatino in  font-otf.mkiv)
>>

> Do you mean "type-otf.mkiv" ? I can't found "font-otf.mkiv" in my
> minimal installation here.
>
> I tried to add:
> \starttypescript [math][palatino][all]
>      \loadfontgoodies[px-math]
>      \definefontsynonym[MathRoman][pxmath@px-math]
> \stoptypescript
>
> into the example code. But it does not work.
> Could you give me some idea please ?

depends on how your other typescript looks

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-06 11:40             ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-08-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:34, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> use the ones based on the px fonts (search for palatino in
>>>  font-otf.mkiv)
>>>

>> Do you mean "type-otf.mkiv" ? I can't found "font-otf.mkiv" in my
>> minimal installation here.
>>
>> I tried to add:
>> \starttypescript [math][palatino][all]
>>     \loadfontgoodies[px-math]
>>     \definefontsynonym[MathRoman][pxmath@px-math]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> into the example code. But it does not work.
>> Could you give me some idea please ?
>
> depends on how your other typescript looks

I take simply the example on wiki, no more no less :

@ 2010-08-06 11:46               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-06 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-8-2010 1:40, Vnpenguin wrote:

> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV

\definetypeface[PalatinoLinotype][mm][math][palatino][default]

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-06 11:49                 ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-08-06 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 13:46, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 6-8-2010 1:40, Vnpenguin wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV
>
> \definetypeface[PalatinoLinotype][mm][math][palatino][default]

Voilà, it works now.

Thank you so much for your help,

Cheers,