* what does rscale=auto achieve?
@ 2016-05-15 14:58 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-05-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have the following sample:

    \definefallbackfamily
        [mainface]
        [rm]
        [DejaVu Serif]
        [preset=range:cyrillic, rscale=auto]

    \definefallbackfamily
        [mainface]
        [rm]
        [GFS Didot]
        [preset=range:greek, rscale=auto]

    \definefontfamily
        [mainface]
        [rm]
        [TeX Gyre Termes]

    \setupbodyfont[mainface]

    \starttext
    \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
    аaα
    \stopTEXpage
    \stoptext

I thought that "rscale=auto" would scale the typeface so that its
x-height would match the x-height from the main typeface.

Since I don’t see any scaling, could anyone explain me what I’m missing?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: what does rscale=auto achieve?
@ 2016-05-15 17:39 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-05-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pablo Rodriguez <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>
> 15. Mai 2016 um 16:58
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
> \definefallbackfamily
> [mainface]
> [rm]
> [DejaVu Serif]
> [preset=range:cyrillic, rscale=auto]
>
> \definefallbackfamily
> [mainface]
> [rm]
> [GFS Didot]
> [preset=range:greek, rscale=auto]
>
> \definefontfamily
> [mainface]
> [rm]
> [TeX Gyre Termes]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
> \starttext
> \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
> аaα
> \stopTEXpage
> \stoptext
>
> I thought that "rscale=auto" would scale the typeface so that its
> x-height would match the x-height from the main typeface.
>
> Since I don’t see any scaling, could anyone explain me what I’m missing?
1. Only \definetypeface supports rscale=auto, the \definefontfallback
accepts only number values for the rscale key.

2. You have to use scale instead of rscale for the \definefontfamily and
\definefallbackfamily commands for the moment but I will change it to
rscale.

Wolfgang

* Re: what does rscale=auto achieve?
@ 2016-05-15 18:03   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-05-15 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Pablo Rodriguez 15. Mai 2016 um 16:58
>> [...]
>> I thought that "rscale=auto" would scale the typeface so that its
>> x-height would match the x-height from the main typeface.
>>
>> Since I don’t see any scaling, could anyone explain me what I’m missing?
> 1. Only \definetypeface supports rscale=auto, the \definefontfallback
> accepts only number values for the rscale key.
>
> 2. You have to use scale instead of rscale for the \definefontfamily and
> \definefallbackfamily commands for the moment but I will change it to
> rscale.

Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.

I’m not sure whether I get your second point: will you implement
rscale=auto for \definefontfamily and \definefallbackfamily or will you
disable scale in those two commands?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2016-05-15 18:05     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-05-15 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pablo Rodriguez <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>
> 15. Mai 2016 um 20:03
>
> Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.
>
> I’m not sure whether I get your second point: will you implement
> rscale=auto for \definefontfamily and \definefallbackfamily or will you
> disable scale in those two commands?
I’m changing the name of the key from scale to rscale.

Wolfgang

* Re: what does rscale=auto achieve?
@ 2016-05-15 18:41       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-05-15 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Pablo Rodriguez <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>
>> 15. Mai 2016 um 20:03
>>
>> Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.
>>
>> I’m not sure whether I get your second point: will you implement
>> rscale=auto for \definefontfamily and \definefallbackfamily or will you
>> disable scale in those two commands?
>
> I’m changing the name of the key from scale to rscale.

As far as I concerned, please consider that this would break backwards
compatibility.

Relative scaling is a feature that might pass unnoticed until it is to
late to fix anything. And this would be a problems for sources that have
this option already defined.

Many thanks for yuor help,

Pablo
--