* Equivalent in ConTeXt mkiv for LaTeX's picture environment?
@ 2016-06-25 18:31 Thomas Fehige
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Fehige @ 2016-06-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

The headline says it: As a convert from LaTeX I'm looking for the
functionality of LaTeX's picture environment, i.e. the placing of boxes
et al. according to absolute coordinates, possibly with calculating
measurements and coordinates on the go, like the stuff provided by the
picture package on LaTeX. (It's labels for cider bottles this time.)

Cheers -- Thomas

* Re: Equivalent in ConTeXt mkiv for LaTeX's picture environment?
@ 2016-06-26  1:06 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2016-06-26  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2016-06-26 um 00:31 schrieb Thomas Fehige <thomas@fehige.de>:

> The headline says it: As a convert from LaTeX I'm looking for the functionality of LaTeX's picture environment, i.e. the placing of boxes et al. according to absolute coordinates, possibly with calculating measurements and coordinates on the go, like the stuff provided by the picture package on LaTeX. (It's labels for cider bottles this time.)

You’re looking for layers: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers
and maybe XY imposition: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Imposition#XY_schema

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Equivalent in ConTeXt mkiv for LaTeX's picture environment?
@ 2016-06-26  1:59 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-06-26  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016, Thomas Fehige wrote:

> The headline says it: As a convert from LaTeX I'm looking for the
> functionality of LaTeX's picture environment, i.e. the placing of boxes
> et al. according to absolute coordinates, possibly with calculating
> measurements and coordinates on the go, like the stuff provided by the
> picture package on LaTeX. (It's labels for cider bottles this time.)

Depends on the specifics. If you just want to place labels, then use
layers. If you want labels + measuring stuff + drawing lines etc., then
use a combination of layers and metapost.

Aditya

* Re: Equivalent in ConTeXt mkiv for LaTeX's picture environment?
@ 2016-06-26 23:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-06-26 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)