* Mail- (or text-)merge with ConteXt
@ 2006-02-22 20:43 vittorio
From: vittorio @ 2006-02-22 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to write letters using some mail-merge or text merge procedure
under ConTeXt.
Could you please help me indicating where should I start with and, above all,
giving some example of that?

Thanks a lot
Vittorio

* Re: Mail- (or text-)merge with ConteXt
@ 2006-02-22 22:05 ` vittorio
From: vittorio @ 2006-02-22 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alle 20:43, mercoledì 22 febbraio 2006, vittorio ha scritto:
> I would like to write letters using some mail-merge or text merge procedure
> under ConTeXt.
> Could you please help me indicating where should I start with and, above
> all, giving some example of that?

Perhaps I need to be more precise!!

What I've been doing for some years has been to send some 1800 2-page letters
in a shot. What change are the addresses of the recipients and some small
parts of the text according to certain circumstances. Years ago I dismissed
the mail-merge capabilities of MS-Word because it was unable to deal with
that amount of letters. So I tailored a *-sty file for my letters and started
to use latex with the textmerge. Bingo, it was THE solution!

Now I want to give ConTeXt a chance. I mean that a Context doc seems to me
more "readable" and "intuitive" than latex. So I would have a go with ConTeXt
to solve the same problem.

Ciao

@ 2006-02-23 18:27   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-02-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-02-22 um 23:05 schrieb vittorio:

> Alle 20:43, mercoledì 22 febbraio 2006, vittorio ha scritto:
>> I would like to write letters using some mail-merge or text merge
>> procedure
>> under ConTeXt.
>> Could you please help me indicating where should I start with and,
>> above
>> all, giving some example of that?

I would use a script that pulls the addresses from the database and
writes the ConTeXt code for each; you could define some \Letter
{Address} macro to reduce redundance.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---