* columnset and placefigure
@ 2016-07-20  9:24 Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-07-20  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I'm using columnsets to typeset stuff for a conference poster.  I can't
use paragraphs or columns, because these do not allow to set frames or
backgrounds.  Currently I do not use the column-spanning features, but I
might in the future.

The thing is, when I place a figure using `\placefigure` and the column
distance is too large (i.e. the columns too narrow), the figure is not
placed on spot but flushed to the next page.  I'm unsure what the exact
value for this threshold is and based on which criteria the figure is
flushed.  While this is not a problem in a normal document, it is for
sure for a poster (I have not seen any multi-page posters yet).

Please find below an example to illustrate my problem (with version
2016.05.17 19:20 from TL2016).

Cheers, Henri

---

\definecolumnset[threecolumn][n=3]
\startmode[bug]
  \setupcolumnset[threecolumn][each][distance=3cm,frame=on]
\stopmode
\startnotmode[bug]
  \setupcolumnset[threecolumn][each][distance=2.999cm,frame=on]
\stopnotmode
\setupcolumnset[threecolumn][1][distance=0pt]

\starttext

\startcolumnset[threecolumn]
  \placefigure[force,here]{}{\externalfigure[cow][width=\textwidth]}
\column
\stopcolumnset

\stoptext

* Re: columnset and placefigure
@ 2016-08-19 17:38 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-19 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bump

@ 2016-08-19 21:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/19/2016 7:38 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
> Bump
>
> On 07/20/2016 11:24 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I'm using columnsets to typeset stuff for a conference poster.  I can't
>> use paragraphs or columns, because these do not allow to set frames or
>> backgrounds.  Currently I do not use the column-spanning features, but I
>> might in the future.
>>
>> The thing is, when I place a figure using `\placefigure` and the column
>> distance is too large (i.e. the columns too narrow), the figure is not
>> placed on spot but flushed to the next page.  I'm unsure what the exact
>> value for this threshold is and based on which criteria the figure is
>> flushed.  While this is not a problem in a normal document, it is for
>> sure for a poster (I have not seen any multi-page posters yet).
>>
>> Please find below an example to illustrate my problem (with version
>> 2016.05.17 19:20 from TL2016).
>>
>> Cheers, Henri
>>
>> ---
>>
>> \definecolumnset[threecolumn][n=3]
>> \startmode[bug]
>>   \setupcolumnset[threecolumn][each][distance=3cm,frame=on]
>> \stopmode
>> \startnotmode[bug]
>>   \setupcolumnset[threecolumn][each][distance=2.999cm,frame=on]
>> \stopnotmode
>> \setupcolumnset[threecolumn][1][distance=0pt]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startcolumnset[threecolumn]
>>   \placefigure[force,here]{}{\externalfigure[cow][width=\textwidth]}
>> \column
>> \stopcolumnset
>>
>> \stoptext

best do your experiments with the new column sets (put this on top of
your file for now:

\input page-cst.mkiv

* Re: columnset and placefigure
@ 2016-08-20 11:40     ` Wolfgang Schuster