* Caption placement in margin
@ 2016-08-30 19:25 Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-30 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list,

I was trying to place float captions in the margin, which according to setup-en.pdf should work with location=outermargin, but it doesn't.  The MWE below reproduces this on TL 2016 and on http://live.contextgarden.net/.  Please fix.

Cheers, Henri

---

\setupfloatcaption
  [figure]
  [location=outermargin]

\starttext

\placefigure
  [top]
  {The famous dutch cow!}
  {\externalfigure[cow]}

\stoptext

* Re: Caption placement in margin
@ 2016-08-31  7:59 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-08-31  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Henri Menke <henrimenke@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was trying to place float captions in the margin, which according to setup-en.pdf should work with location=outermargin, but it doesn't.  The MWE below reproduces this on TL 2016 and on http://live.contextgarden.net/.  Please fix.
>
> Cheers, Henri
>
> ---
>
> \setupfloatcaption
>   [figure]
>   [location=outermargin]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placefigure
>   [top]
>   {The famous dutch cow!}
>   {\externalfigure[cow]}
>
> \stoptext

I have never noticed the setup \setupfloatcaption before, but I think
you have to add a top/middle/bottom or so to the outermargin, like

\setupfloatcaption[figure][location={outermargin,middle}]
\starttext

\placefigure
  [top]
  {The famous dutch cow!}
  {\externalfigure[cow]}
\stoptext

Another option might be to use \setupcaption (somebody could perhaps
tell the difference between \setupfloatcaption and \setupcaption?)

\setupcaption[figure][
location={outermargin,middle},
align=flushleft,
width=\marginwidth,
]

\starttext
\showframe%just to show where it ends up

\placefigure
  [top]
  {The famous dutch cow!}
  {\externalfigure[cow]}

\stoptext

/Mikael

* Re: Caption placement in margin
@ 2016-08-31  8:30   ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-31  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mikael,

thanks for your reply!  Indeed, one has to add this second specifier, but only middle produces a sensible result.  Both top and bottom override the outermargin, so there is probably something wrong.

Regarding \setupfloatcaption and \setupcation, there is no difference.  In base/mkiv/strc-flt.mkvi you can find the following definitions:

\let\setupcaption \setupfloatcaption
\let\setupcaptions\setupfloatcaption

Cheers, Henri

@ 2016-08-31  8:37   ` Wolfgang Schuster