* \vfill shifts content off grid
@ 2016-08-31 17:45 Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-31 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Dear list,

when I use a body font size other than the standard, issuing \vfill will move the content off the grid.  MWE is below.  How do I fix this?

Cheers, Henri

---

\setupbodyfont[9pt]
\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\showgrid
\starttext
Hello

\vfill

World
\stoptext

* Re: \vfill shifts content off grid
@ 2016-09-01  7:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-09-01  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/31/2016 7:45 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> when I use a body font size other than the standard, issuing \vfill will move the content off the grid.  MWE is below.  How do I fix this?

that's how vfill works, you can try \vskip30\lineheight with a value you
like

@ 2016-09-01 11:22   ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-09-01 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/01/2016 09:33 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 8/31/2016 7:45 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> when I use a body font size other than the standard, issuing \vfill will move the content off the grid.  MWE is below.  How do I fix this?
>
> that's how vfill works, you can try \vskip30\lineheight with a value you like

Hm.  Then I'd like to reformulate my question:  How do I flush content to the bottom of the page when grid is enabled without having to specific how many lines to clear.

@ 2016-09-01 11:53     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-09-01 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/1/2016 1:22 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
> On 09/01/2016 09:33 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 8/31/2016 7:45 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> when I use a body font size other than the standard, issuing \vfill will move the content off the grid.  MWE is below.  How do I fix this?
>>
>> that's how vfill works, you can try \vskip30\lineheight with a value you like
>
> Hm.  Then I'd like to reformulate my question:  How do I flush content to the bottom of the page when grid is enabled without having to specific how many lines to clear.

trial and error:

\vfilll \strut World \par \removedepth \page

@ 2016-09-01 12:18       ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-09-01 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/01/2016 01:53 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 9/1/2016 1:22 PM, Henri Menke wrote:

>>> that's how vfill works, you can try \vskip30\lineheight with a value you like
>>
>> Hm.  Then I'd like to reformulate my question:  How do I flush content to the bottom of the page when grid is enabled without having to specific how many lines to clear.
>
> trial and error:
>
> \vfilll \strut World \par \removedepth \page

This is not very satisfactory because it does not work unconditionally.  For instance with lucidaot it is still shifted off the grid.

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot,9pt]
\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\showgrid
\starttext
Hello

\vfill

World\strut\par\removedepth
\stoptext

I have come up with this other really hackish solution.  I just put the text on a layer and align this to the last line of the grid which I previously computed in Lua (Brrr).  Also, this has the disadvantage that text might flow into the layer (it's in the background).

\setupbodyfont[9pt]
\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\showgrid

\definelayer [flushbottom]
\setupbackgrounds [text] [background=flushbottom]
\edef\numberoflines{%
  \ctxlua{context(math.round(tex.dimen.textheight / tex.dimen.lineheight))}}

\starttext
Hello

\setlayer
  [flushbottom]
  [line=\numberoflines,location=grid]
  {World}
\stoptext

Is there really no way to have grid-consistent \vfill?  If there isn't please consider this a feature request.

@ 2016-09-01 12:59         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-09-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/1/2016 2:18 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
> On 09/01/2016 01:53 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> Hm.  Then I'd like to reformulate my question:  How do I flush content to the bottom of the page when grid is enabled without having to specific how many lines to clear.
>>
>> trial and error:
>>
>> \vfilll \strut World \par \removedepth \page
>
> This is not very satisfactory because it does not work unconditionally.  For instance with lucidaot it is still shifted off the grid.
>
> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot,9pt]
> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
> \showgrid
> \starttext
> Hello
>
> \vfill
>
> World\strut\par\removedepth
> \stoptext
>
> I have come up with this other really hackish solution.  I just put the text on a layer and align this to the last line of the grid which I previously computed in Lua (Brrr).  Also, this has the disadvantage that text might flow into the layer (it's in the background).
>
> \setupbodyfont[9pt]
> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
> \showgrid
>
> \definelayer [flushbottom]
> \setupbackgrounds [text] [background=flushbottom]
> \edef\numberoflines{%
>   \ctxlua{context(math.round(tex.dimen.textheight / tex.dimen.lineheight))}}
>
> \starttext
> Hello
>
> \setlayer
>   [flushbottom]
>   [line=\numberoflines,location=grid]
>   {World}
> \stoptext
>
> Is there really no way to have grid-consistent \vfill?  If there isn't please consider this a feature request.

not without some explicit support for it which currently is not there

     \startstandardmakeup[top=,bottom=]
         \strut Hello
         \vss
         \dontleavehmode\raise3\lineheight\hbox{\strut World}
     \stopstandardmakeup

@ 2016-09-04  9:25 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-09-04  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)