* Nested itemize horizontal/column problem
@ 2016-09-18  8:54 Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-09-18  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

1) the following code

\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item
\startitemize[a,horizontal,three]
\startitem First \stopitem
\startitem Second \stopitem
\startitem Third \stopitem
\startitem Fourth \stopitem
\stopitemize
\item On the outer level
\stopitemize
\stoptext

generates the error

tex error       > tex error on line 9 in file
/home/mickep/tmp/ctx-listexample14.tex: ! You can't use `\prevdepth'
in restricted horizontal mode

Isn't it possible to have nested itemize with key horizontal?

2) If I change the horizontal key to columns, then there is an extra
line (the extra line in nested itemization has been discussed before,
but not with these keys given, as far as I could see). I.e. the file

\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item
\startitemize[a,columns,three]
\startitem First \stopitem
\startitem Second \stopitem
\startitem Third \stopitem
\startitem Fourth \stopitem
\stopitemize
\item On the outer level
\stopitemize
\stoptext

gives the attached pdf file, where I would have exptected the first a.
in the inner itemize to be on the same line as the 1. in the outer
itemize.

Anyone has an idea on what is going on here?

Best regards, Mikael

[-- Attachment #2: ctx-listexample14.pdf --]

* Re: Nested itemize horizontal/column problem
@ 2016-09-18 19:56 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-09-18 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can start itemize only in vertical mode.  To switch to vertical mode use \blank.  To kill the empty line which is inserted use \blank[-line].

\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item \blank[-line]

@ 2016-09-19 11:27   ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-09-19 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Henri Menke <henrimenke@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can start itemize only in vertical mode.  To switch to vertical mode use \blank.  To kill the empty line which is inserted use \blank[-line].
>
> \starttext
> \startitemize[n]
> \item \blank[-line]
> \startitemize[a,horizontal,three]
> \startitem First \stopitem
> \startitem Second \stopitem
> \startitem Third \stopitem
> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
> \stopitemize
> \item On the outer level
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext
>
> On 09/18/2016 10:54 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 1) the following code
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startitemize[n]
>> \item
>> \startitemize[a,horizontal,three]
>> \startitem First \stopitem
>> \startitem Second \stopitem
>> \startitem Third \stopitem
>> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
>> \stopitemize
>> \item On the outer level
>> \stopitemize
>> \stoptext
>>
>> generates the error
>>
>> tex error       > tex error on line 9 in file
>> /home/mickep/tmp/ctx-listexample14.tex: ! You can't use `\prevdepth'
>> in restricted horizontal mode
>>
>> Isn't it possible to have nested itemize with key horizontal?
>>
>> 2) If I change the horizontal key to columns, then there is an extra
>> line (the extra line in nested itemization has been discussed before,
>> but not with these keys given, as far as I could see). I.e. the file
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startitemize[n]
>> \item
>> \startitemize[a,columns,three]
>> \startitem First \stopitem
>> \startitem Second \stopitem
>> \startitem Third \stopitem
>> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
>> \stopitemize
>> \item On the outer level
>> \stopitemize
>> \stoptext
>>
>> gives the attached pdf file, where I would have exptected the first a.
>> in the inner itemize to be on the same line as the 1. in the outer
>> itemize.
>>
>> Anyone has an idea on what is going on here?
>>
>> Best regards, Mikael

Thank you Henri, that works, and I can live with adding \blank[-line]
in these cases.

I still wonder if there is an automatic way, since it seems to only
happen when one has the inner itemize in columns. For example, with

\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item
\startitemize[a]
\startitem First \stopitem
\startitem Second \stopitem
\startitem Third \stopitem
\startitem Fourth \stopitem
\stopitemize
\item On the outer level
\stopitemize
\stoptext

there is no extra line (result is attached).

@ 2016-09-19 11:32   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-09-19 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Henri Menke <mailto:henrimenke@gmail.com>
> 18. September 2016 um 21:56
> You can start itemize only in vertical mode. To switch to vertical
> mode use \blank. To kill the empty line which is inserted use
> \blank[-line].
Or use \blank[overlay].

Wolfgang

* Re: Nested itemize horizontal/column problem
@ 2016-09-19 13:37     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2016-09-19 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mikael,

The explanation and the solution given by Henri works fine here. The code below gives the attached PDF (with ConTeXt 2016.09.12 18:27 MKIV beta). The point is that an empty \item does not allow to begin a new level of itemization.

Best regards: OK
%%% begin
\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item \blank[-line]
\startitemize[a,horizontal,two]
\startitem First \stopitem
\startitem Second \stopitem
\startitem Third \stopitem
\startitem Fourth \stopitem
\stopitemize
\item % Here with a blank line
\blank[small]
\startitemize[a,horizontal,two]
\startitem First \stopitem
\startitem Second \stopitem
\startitem Third \stopitem
\startitem Fourth \stopitem
\stopitemize
\item On the outer level

\stopitemize
\stoptext
%%% end

[-- Attachment #2: itemize-horizontal.pdf --]

@ 2016-09-19 13:50       ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-09-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> The explanation and the solution given by Henri works fine here. The code below gives the attached PDF (with ConTeXt 2016.09.12 18:27 MKIV beta). The point is that an empty \item does not allow to begin a new level of itemization.
>
> Best regards: OK
> %%% begin
> \starttext
> \startitemize[n]
> \item \blank[-line]
> \startitemize[a,horizontal,two]
> \startitem First \stopitem
> \startitem Second \stopitem
> \startitem Third \stopitem
> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
> \stopitemize
> \item % Here with a blank line
> \blank[small]
> \startitemize[a,horizontal,two]
> \startitem First \stopitem
> \startitem Second \stopitem
> \startitem Third \stopitem
> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
> \stopitemize
> \item On the outer level
>
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext
> %%% end
>

>> On 19 Sep 2016, at 13:27, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Henri Menke <henrimenke@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You can start itemize only in vertical mode.  To switch to vertical mode use \blank.  To kill the empty line which is inserted use \blank[-line].
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \startitemize[n]
>>> \item \blank[-line]
>>> \startitemize[a,horizontal,three]
>>> \startitem First \stopitem
>>> \startitem Second \stopitem
>>> \startitem Third \stopitem
>>> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
>>> \stopitemize
>>> \item On the outer level
>>> \stopitemize
>>> \stoptext

>> Thank you Henri, that works, and I can live with adding \blank[-line]
>> in these cases.
>>
>> I still wonder if there is an automatic way, since it seems to only
>> happen when one has the inner itemize in columns. For example, with
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startitemize[n]
>> \item
>> \startitemize[a]
>> \startitem First \stopitem
>> \startitem Second \stopitem
>> \startitem Third \stopitem
>> \startitem Fourth \stopitem
>> \stopitemize
>> \item On the outer level
>> \stopitemize
>> \stoptext
>>
>> there is no extra line (result is attached).
>>
>> /Mikael

>> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

Thank you Otared, and thank you Wolfgang.

This problem is solved. If anyone knows about the spacing between
items and around itemizations in the case of horizontal key (mentioned
in the other thread I started a day ago), then I be all ear (it is
then better to answer in that thread).

/Mikael