* next upload
@ 2021-04-21  9:12 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-04-21  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

The *next* upload will have the following change.

For a long time in mkiv and also lmtx, the tex habit of turning -- and
--- into endash and emdash has been handled at the font level by a
injecting a font feature. This works okay.

This tlig feature is currently part of the defaults but that will
change. If you want to retain that, you can add this to a cont-loc.mkxl
file

\definefontfeature
   [default]
   [default]
   [tlig=yes,
    trep=yes]

but it should not be needed (and only introduces overhead). When it's a
font feature it kicks in after hyphenation but because we're in the
process of enhancing that, this traditional -- and --- replacement now
kicks in before hyphenation.

It can be disabled by \nohyphencollapsing, which actually happens in for
instance verbatim and it can be applied locally if needed. There might
be places where you expect this to happen so let me know if I missed
these. The (intended) effect is that

     somefirst- and secondpart\blank
     firstpart\char"002D secondpart\blank
     firstpart---secondpart\blank
     firstpart\char"002D\char"002D secondpart\blank
     firstpart\char"002D\char"002D\char"002D secondpart\blank
     firstpart\char"2010 secondpart\blank
     firstpart\char"2013 secondpart\blank
     firstpart\char"2014 secondpart
     \type{firstpart---secondpart}

all work as I expect (both words get hyphenated).

The trep feature was already stripped to only ' replacment but in these
unicode times that artifact has no place. We anyway expect users to use
\quote and \quotation as it's a language dependent feature. You can of
course enable it any time, but it will no longer be default, just like "
already gives an upright double quote, and `` was never enabled in mkiv,
  from now on ' will give a single upright quote.

So, when this is uploaded, keep an eye on it and let me know where
things misbehave, you're warned,

Hans

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-04-21  9:12 UTC | newest]