* Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-02 10:00 Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2017-08-02 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to print chapter and section titles in the margins, and it
works fine, except that the chapter title is also printed on the same
page as the chapter starts, which I find unnecessary.

1) Can I somehow (probably via the right \setuphead trick) disable
this overlay only on chapter pages?

2) If I want to disable it on another page, is there some smart way of
doint it, or should I just set it blank and then enable it when I know
I'm on next page again?

/Mikael

PS The code I have right now is given below. It compiles, but the
chapter title is shown on the first page...

\defineoverlay[mymargin][{\framed[frame=off,width=0.8in,height=0.8\textheight,offset=overlay,align={top}]{\doifrightpageelse{{\startalignment[flushleft]\getmarking[chapter]\stopalignment}}{{\startalignment[flushright]\getmarking[section]\stopalignment}}}}]

\setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=mymargin]

\starttext

\chapter{Foo}
\dorecurse{15}{\section{Bar}\input ward\par}

\stoptext

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-02 17:21 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/02/2017 12:00 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to print chapter and section titles in the margins, and it
> works fine, except that the chapter title is also printed on the same
> page as the chapter starts, which I find unnecessary.

Hi Mikael,

margintext as alternative for \setuphead may be a better approach:

    \showframe

    \definemargindata[margintext:chapter]
        [margintext]
        [width=\rightmarginwidth, location=outer, align=flushleft]

    \defineheadalternative
        [margintext:chapter]
        [margintext]
        [margintext=margintext:chapter]

    \definemargindata[margintext:section]
        [margintext]
        [width=\leftmarginwidth, location=inner]

    \defineheadalternative
        [margintext:section]
        [margintext]
        [margintext=margintext:section]

    \setuphead[chapter]
        [alternative=margintext:chapter, style=\tf, number=no]
    \setuphead[section]
        [alternative=margintext, style=\tf, number=no]

    \starttext

    \chapter{Foo}
    \dorecurse{15}{\section{Bar}\input ward\par}

    \stoptext

All this comes from Hans replying to a question of mine some days ago
and from the last lines from typo-mar.mkiv.

I hope I got it right ;-),

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-02 17:28   ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2017-08-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
> On 08/02/2017 12:00 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to print chapter and section titles in the margins, and it
>> works fine, except that the chapter title is also printed on the same
>> page as the chapter starts, which I find unnecessary.
>
> Hi Mikael,
>
> margintext as alternative for \setuphead may be a better approach:
>
>     \showframe
>     \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
>     \definemargindata[margintext:chapter]
>         [margintext]
>         [width=\rightmarginwidth, location=outer, align=flushleft]
>
>     \defineheadalternative
>         [margintext:chapter]
>         [margintext]
>         [margintext=margintext:chapter]
>
>     \definemargindata[margintext:section]
>         [margintext]
>         [width=\leftmarginwidth, location=inner]
>
>     \defineheadalternative
>         [margintext:section]
>         [margintext]
>         [margintext=margintext:section]
>
>     \setuphead[chapter]
>         [alternative=margintext:chapter, style=\tf, number=no]
>     \setuphead[section]
>         [alternative=margintext, style=\tf, number=no]
>
>     \starttext
>
>     \chapter{Foo}
>     \dorecurse{15}{\section{Bar}\input ward\par}
>
>     \stoptext
>
> All this comes from Hans replying to a question of mine some days ago
> and from the last lines from typo-mar.mkiv.
>
> I hope I got it right ;-),
>
> Pablo
>
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

Hi Pablo,

many thanks for your answer! I think I might have described my issue a
bit vague. Just to clarify:

I do not want to change the output of the chapters/sections themself.

I want to have a "running header", but in the margin rather than in
the header. I get that with the code I gave, but I want to disable it
for new chapters _on the page where the chapter begins_.

If you have a copy of Bringhursts book, you know what I mean.

If it is still not clear what I mean please ask me to clarify it further.

/Mikael

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-02 19:29     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-02 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/02/2017 07:28 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> many thanks for your answer! I think I might have described my issue a
> bit vague. Just to clarify:
>
> I do not want to change the output of the chapters/sections themself.
>
> I want to have a "running header", but in the margin rather than in
> the header. I get that with the code I gave, but I want to disable it
> for new chapters _on the page where the chapter begins_.

Sorry, Mikael, I misunderstood what you needed.

I’m afraid I don’t know how to check whether you are in the chapter page
or not.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-02 20:23     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-08-02 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2017-08-02 um 19:28 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>:

> I do not want to change the output of the chapters/sections themself.
>
> I want to have a "running header", but in the margin rather than in
> the header. I get that with the code I gave, but I want to disable it
> for new chapters _on the page where the chapter begins_.

I guess this is a case for setups.

\startsetups[chapterpage]
\setupheadertexts[][][][]
\stopsetups

\setuphead[chapter][setup=chapterpage]

Something like this, I didn’t check.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-02 20:33       ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2017-08-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
> Am 2017-08-02 um 19:28 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>:
>
>> I do not want to change the output of the chapters/sections themself.
>>
>> I want to have a "running header", but in the margin rather than in
>> the header. I get that with the code I gave, but I want to disable it
>> for new chapters _on the page where the chapter begins_.
>
> I guess this is a case for setups.
>
> \startsetups[chapterpage]
> \setupheadertexts[][][][]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setuphead[chapter][setup=chapterpage]
>
> Something like this, I didn’t check.
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

Thank you for your answer, Henning.

I am sorry, but it does not work. The problem is that I don't have the
marking text in the header, but in overlays in the margins. I tried to
replace your

\setupheadertexts[][][][]

inside the setup with

\setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=]

but with no luck. But maybe you are right that one should use setups.

/Mikael

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-03  8:35         ` Jean-Pierre Delange
From: Jean-Pierre Delange @ 2017-08-03  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

Dealing with the sample you has given to Mikael I find a difficulty on page 2 : if you replace 'Foo' and 'Bar' (three letters), by 'Introduction' and 'section', see what happen to 'section', page 2.

Here is your MWE :

 \showframe

    \definemargindata[margintext:chapter]
        [margintext]
        [width=\rightmarginwidth, location=outer, align=flushleft]

    \defineheadalternative
        [margintext:chapter]
        [margintext]
        [margintext=margintext:chapter]

    \definemargindata[margintext:section]
        [margintext]
        [width=\leftmarginwidth, location=inner]

    \defineheadalternative
        [margintext:section]
        [margintext]
        [margintext=margintext:section]

    \setuphead[chapter]
        [alternative=margintext:chapter, style=\tf, number=no]
    \setuphead[section]
        [alternative=margintext, style=\tf, number=no]

    \starttext

    \chapter{Introduction}
    \dorecurse{15}{\section{Section}\input ward\par}

    \stoptext

@ 2017-08-03 16:03           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-08-03 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/3/2017 10:35 AM, Jean-Pierre Delange wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> Dealing with the sample you has given to Mikael I find a difficulty on page 2 : if you replace 'Foo' and 'Bar' (three letters), by 'Introduction' and 'section', see what happen to 'section', page 2.
>
> Here is your MWE :
>

>   \showframe
>      \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
>      \definemargindata[margintext:chapter]
>          [margintext]
>          [width=\rightmarginwidth, location=outer, align=flushleft]
>
>      \defineheadalternative
>          [margintext:chapter]
>          [margintext]
>          [margintext=margintext:chapter]
>
>      \definemargindata[margintext:section]
>          [margintext]
>          [width=\leftmarginwidth, location=inner]
>
>      \defineheadalternative
>          [margintext:section]
>          [margintext]
>          [margintext=margintext:section]
>
>      \setuphead[chapter]
>          [alternative=margintext:chapter, style=\tf, number=no]
>      \setuphead[section]
>          [alternative=margintext, style=\tf, number=no]
>
>      \starttext
>
>      \chapter{Introduction}
>      \dorecurse{15}{\section{Section}\input ward\par}
>
>      \stoptext

\setuplayout
   [backspace=3cm,
    margin=2cm,
    width=middle]

\setuppagenumbering
   [alternative=doublesided]

\definemargindata
   [margintext:chapter]
   [margintext]
   [width=\outermarginwidth,
    location=outer,
    align=flushouter]

\defineheadalternative
   [margintext:chapter]
   [margintext]
   [margintext=margintext:chapter]

\definemargindata[margintext:section]
   [margintext]
   [width=\innermarginwidth,
    location=inner,
    align=flushinner]

@ 2017-08-03 17:29             ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-03 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/03/2017 06:03 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
> \definemargindata
>    [margintext:chapter]
>    [margintext]
>    [width=\outermarginwidth,
>     location=outer,
>     align=flushouter]
> [...]
> \definemargindata[margintext:section]
>    [margintext]
>    [width=\innermarginwidth,
>     location=inner,
>     align=flushinner]

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

I didn’t know that these margin widths and aligments even existed.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-03 18:11               ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2017-08-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
> On 08/03/2017 06:03 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> \definemargindata
>>    [margintext:chapter]
>>    [margintext]
>>    [width=\outermarginwidth,
>>     location=outer,
>>     align=flushouter]
>> [...]
>> \definemargindata[margintext:section]
>>    [margintext]
>>    [width=\innermarginwidth,
>>     location=inner,
>>     align=flushinner]
>
> Many thanks for your reply, Hans.
>
> I didn’t know that these margin widths and aligments even existed.
>
> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

that solves the other problem that appeared. What about the one I
originally posted in this thread? Is it possible to pause backgrounds
on chapter pages?

/Mikael

* Re: Disable overlay on chapter pages
@ 2017-08-04  7:53                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-08-04  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/3/2017 8:11 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:

> that solves the other problem that appeared. What about the one I
> originally posted in this thread? Is it possible to pause backgrounds
> on chapter pages?
one of the many ways ...

\definelayer
   [chapter]
   [width=\paperwidth,
    height=\paperheight]

\defineoverlay
   [pagebackground]
   [\directsetup{pagebackground}]

\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=pagebackground]

\startsetups pagebackground
     \doifelsemode {chapterpage} {
         \setlayer
           [chapter]
           [preset=middle]
           {\scale[width=\textwidth]{CHAPTER}}
         \globaldisablemode[chapterpage]
     } {
         \setlayer
           [chapter]
           [preset=middle]
           {\scale[width=\textwidth]{WHATEVER}}
     }
     \placelayer[chapter]
\stopsetups

\startsetups chapter:before
     \globalenablemode[chapterpage]
\stopsetups

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [before=\setup{chapter:before}]

\starttext
     \chapter{foo} test \page test
     \chapter{bar} test \page test

@ 2017-08-04 12:06                   ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2017-08-04 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 8/3/2017 8:11 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>
>> that solves the other problem that appeared. What about the one I
>> originally posted in this thread? Is it possible to pause backgrounds
>> on chapter pages?
>
> one of the many ways ...
>
> \definelayer
>   [chapter]
>   [width=\paperwidth,
>    height=\paperheight]
>
> \defineoverlay
>   [pagebackground]
>   [\directsetup{pagebackground}]
>
> \setupbackgrounds
>   [page]
>   [background=pagebackground]
>
> \startsetups pagebackground
>     \doifelsemode {chapterpage} {
>         \setlayer
>           [chapter]
>           [preset=middle]
>           {\scale[width=\textwidth]{CHAPTER}}
>         \globaldisablemode[chapterpage]
>     } {
>         \setlayer
>           [chapter]
>           [preset=middle]
>           {\scale[width=\textwidth]{WHATEVER}}
>     }
>     \placelayer[chapter]
> \stopsetups
>
> \startsetups chapter:before
>     \globalenablemode[chapterpage]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setuphead
>   [chapter]
>   [before=\setup{chapter:before}]
>
> \starttext
>     \chapter{foo} test \page test
>     \chapter{bar} test \page test
> \stoptext

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Many thanks! It now works as expected. Just if someone finds this
thread in the future, to get the texts into the margin, I ended up
with something like the code below.

/Mikael

\showframe

\setuplayout[
%alternative=doublesided,
location=middle,
width=10cm,
backspace=2in,
]

\definelayer
  [chapter]
  [width=\paperwidth,
   height=\paperheight,
   location=right]

\defineoverlay
  [pagebackground]
  [\directsetup{pagebackground}]

\setupbackgrounds
  [page]
  [background=pagebackground]

\startsetups pagebackground
    \doifelsemode {chapterpage} {
        \setlayer
          [chapter]
          [x=\dimexpr\backspace+\textwidth+\rightmargindistance\relax,
           y=3in,
           location={right,bottom}]
          {\getmarking[chapternumber]}
        \globaldisablemode[chapterpage]
    } {
        \setlayer
          [chapter]
           [x=\dimexpr\backspace+\textwidth+\rightmargindistance\relax,
           y=3in,
           location={right,bottom}]
          {\doifrightpageelse{\getmarking[chapter]}{}}
    }
    \placelayer[chapter]
\stopsetups

\startsetups chapter:before
    \globalenablemode[chapterpage]
\stopsetups

\define[2]\mychaptercommand{\midaligned{#2}}

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [align=middle,style=\tfa,align=middle,command=\mychaptercommand,before=\setup{chapter:before}]

\starttext
    \chapter{foo} test \page test \page test \page test
    \chapter{bar} test \page test \page test \page test

\stoptext