* Rif: Re: dotted line for \framed ?
@ 2005-04-24 15:45 Luigi Scarso
From: Luigi Scarso @ 2005-04-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

With Metapost you can put in background almost anything you want, so it's
not complex make a dotted line for frame; Metafun is a great tutorial for
these things.

A nice solution should be dotted line for \framed WITHOUT use metapost,
something like
\framed[rulestyle={dot},...]

[OT] Can XYpic be used under Context ? I will try .

luigi

* Rif: Re: dotted line for \framed ?
@ 2005-04-26 15:35 ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-04-26 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luigi Scarso wrote:

>[OT] Can XYpic be used under Context ? I will try .

At least for  me this works:
\input xy
\xyoption{frame}
\starttext
\framed[offset=10pt]{%
\xy
(0,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{--} ;
(50,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{..} ;
(100,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{=} ;
\endxy}
\stoptext

It can be a way to add some frame style without using metapost.

luigi

* XYpic (was: dotted line for \framed ?)
@ 2005-04-26 18:24   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-04-26 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.04.2005 um 17:35 schrieb luigi.scarso:
>> [OT] Can XYpic be used under Context ? I will try .
> At least for  me this works:
> \input xy
> \xyoption{frame}
> \starttext
> \framed[offset=10pt]{%
> \xy
> (0,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{--} ;
> (50,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{..} ;
> (100,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{=} ;
> \endxy}
> \stoptext
> It can be a way to add some frame style without using metapost.

I don't know XYpic, but it looks interesting.
Would you write a wiki page about it?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-27 10:18     ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-27 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 26.04.2005 um 17:35 schrieb luigi.scarso:
>
>>> [OT] Can XYpic be used under Context ? I will try .
>>
>> At least for  me this works:
>> \input xy
>> \xyoption{frame}
>> \starttext
>> \framed[offset=10pt]{%
>> \xy
>> (0,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{--} ;
>> (50,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{..} ;
>> (100,0) *++=\hbox{text} *\frm{=} ;
>> \endxy}
>> \stoptext
>> It can be a way to add some frame style without using metapost.
>

> I don't know XYpic, but it looks interesting.
> Would you write a wiki page about it?

Dear Henning,

before I started to use context I had prepared some diagrams in xypic.
It was the only way I knew for creating vector graphics for both tex and
pdftex with text and graphics interaction possibility.

For that experience I strongly discourage for using it with context:
1) Xypic has the most obscure syntax I have ever seen.
2) Nobody knows if there are not some name-space problems (redefinitions).
3) Metapost is naturaly incorporated to context, strongly supported,
higher possibilities and (my opinion) much more intuitive.

So I think that such a contextgarden xypic page would be only confusing.

vit

P.S. If you are still interesting google for xypic manual.

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-28  8:01       ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-04-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> before I started to use context I had prepared some diagrams in xypic.

Me too, for some notes on a course  on commutative algebra when I was
student at university.

> It was the only way I knew for creating vector graphics for both tex
> and pdftex with text and graphics interaction possibility.

I try xfig with poor results.

> For that experience I strongly discourage for using it with context:
> 1) Xypic has the most obscure syntax I have ever seen.

After writing some commutative algebra exercises, xy code is not so
obscure :)

> 2) Nobody knows if there are not some name-space problems
> (redefinitions).

Big problem not only with xypic.
(after grep-ing xp package and context base I found some possibles names
collisions
in  core-pos.tex,page-lyr.tex,xtag-ini.tex)

> 3) Metapost is naturaly incorporated to context, strongly supported,
> higher possibilities and (my opinion) much more intuitive.

Yes, I love metafun.
But a mp graphic must be preprocessed by mpost for inclusion, and I can
do it only
if I can execute sysytems commands; this open a security and performance
issues.

So:
"Can I typeset a framedbox with a rulestyle WITHOUT using MetaPost ?"
I have posted an idea with XYPic; but \leaders can be used too.

> So I think that such a contextgarden xypic page would be only confusing.

ok, I follow your suggestion.

> P.S. If you are still interesting google for xypic manual.

Better:
http://www.tug.org/applications/Xy-pic/

luigi

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-28 10:42         ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-28 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi.scarso wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>>
>> before I started to use context I had prepared some diagrams in xypic.
>
> Me too, for some notes on a course  on commutative algebra when I was
> student at university.
>
>> It was the only way I knew for creating vector graphics for both tex
>> and pdftex with text and graphics interaction possibility.
>>
> I try xfig with poor results.

With 'interaction possibilitity' I meant e.g. text labeling with the
same fonts and possibilities as in the main text (math...), length
parametrization. It is not possile in xfig.

>> 3) Metapost is naturaly incorporated to context, strongly supported,
>> higher possibilities and (my opinion) much more intuitive.
>>
> Yes, I love metafun.
> But a mp graphic must be preprocessed by mpost for inclusion, and I can
> do it only
> if I can execute sysytems commands; this open a security and performance
> issues.

It is true only for very advanced features like text along line, AFAIK.
For framed text it is possible to run mpost manually with several passes
of tex.

> So:
> "Can I typeset a framedbox with a rulestyle WITHOUT using MetaPost ?"

(Rulestyle?) Frames with only plain \hrule and \vrule is of course
possible even with plain TeX. But it is probably not what you mean.

vit

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-28 11:02           ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-04-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

>> But a mp graphic must be preprocessed by mpost for inclusion, and I
>> can do it only
>> if I can execute sysytems commands; this open a security and
>> performance issues.
>

> It is true only for very advanced features like text along line,
> AFAIK. For framed text it is possible to run mpost manually with
> several passes of tex.

Ok, it seem I've missed something important because I don't understand
when you say
"For framed text it is possible to run mpost manually with several
passes of tex. ".
This seem in contrast with preprocessing as I write before.

Can you give me a simple example ?

Thanks
luigi

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-28 22:05             ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-28 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi.scarso wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>>> But a mp graphic must be preprocessed by mpost for inclusion, and I
>>> can do it only
>>> if I can execute sysytems commands; this open a security and
>>> performance issues.
>>
>> It is true only for very advanced features like text along line,
>> AFAIK. For framed text it is possible to run mpost manually with
>> several passes of tex.
>
> Ok, it seem I've missed something important because I don't understand
> when you say
> "For framed text it is possible to run mpost manually with several
> passes of tex. ".
> This seem in contrast with preprocessing as I write before.
>
> Can you give me a simple example ?

Of course.

1. For a moment I set
   shell_escape =			f
in `kpsewhich texmf.cnf'

2. Input file f.tex:
\startuseMPgraphic{A}
   draw unitcircle scaled\overlaywidth;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay
   [B]
   [\uniqueMPgraphic{A}]

\starttext
   \framed[background=B]{Hallo frame!}
\stoptext

3a. classical run
   texexec --pdf f

3b. step by step
   texexec --pdf --nomp f
   mpost f-mpgraph
   texexec --pdf --nomp f

vit

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-29  7:08               ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-04-29  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit, many thanks for your answer.

Vit Zyka wrote:

> 1. For a moment I set
>   shell_escape =            f
> in `kpsewhich texmf.cnf'

ok, done

> 2. Input file f.tex:
> \startuseMPgraphic{A}
>   draw unitcircle scaled\overlaywidth;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
>
> \defineoverlay
>   [B]
>   [\uniqueMPgraphic{A}]
>
> \starttext
>   \framed[background=B]{Hallo frame!}
> \stoptext
>
> 3a. classical run
>   texexec --pdf f

No circle under frame,  right? If not, I have a bad installation; please
discard the rest
(and some hints to repair will be really appreciate :)  ).

> 3b. step by step
>   texexec --pdf --nomp f
>   mpost f-mpgraph
>   texexec --pdf --nomp f

A circle appear under the frame. But I   have 3  runs ( texexec, mpost,
texexec).

Now, what is my goal ?
To achieve a circle under the frame  as quick as possible.

For 3.a, in f.log I find

  mpost  -progname=mpost -mem=metafun f-mpgraph
  system()...disabled.

An attempt to run mpost failed: no circle, goal unsatisfied.

For 3.b, I run manually mpost (and then again texexec): goal satisfied.

With shell_export=t, 3.a) is ok, but f.log says
system(mpost  -progname=mpost -mem=metafun f-mpgraph)...executed.

So it seems that my goal can be achieved only with  a run of mpost.

With XYPic, a similar result can be achieved without mpost:
%%
%% WARNING:: deprecated example
%% Don't use it !
%%
\input xy
\xyoption{frame}
\starttext
\xy
(0,0) *++=\hbox{\framed{Hallo frame}} *\frm{o} ;
\endxy
\stoptext

Of course this doesn't mean that XY is better/worse than mpost, nor that
using mpost coupled with context will be always slow than others ways;
but sometimes a faster alternative may be required.

Sure for XYPic, name spaces collisions, cpu/memory required, syntax are
(some) items
to consider: but it also comes with a bunch of features and may be
faster than mpost
in some circumstances.

[OT] XFIG: fig2dev can be export to metapost and in multi-metapost.
Hence, from the moon, I see that xfig can be used with context.

luigi

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-29  8:21                 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-04-29  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi.scarso wrote:
> Vit, many thanks for your answer.
>
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>> 1. For a moment I set
>>   shell_escape =            f
>> in `kpsewhich texmf.cnf'
>>
> ok, done
>
>> 2. Input file f.tex:
>> \startuseMPgraphic{A}
>>   draw unitcircle scaled\overlaywidth;
>> \stopuseMPgraphic
>>
>> \defineoverlay
>>   [B]
>>   [\uniqueMPgraphic{A}]
>>
>> \starttext
>>   \framed[background=B]{Hallo frame!}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> 3a. classical run
>>   texexec --pdf f
>>
> No circle under frame,  right? If not, I have a bad installation; please
> discard the rest
> (and some hints to repair will be really appreciate :)  ).

?? I obtained both a frame and a circle.

>> 3b. step by step
>>   texexec --pdf --nomp f
>>   mpost f-mpgraph
>>   texexec --pdf --nomp f
>>
> A circle appear under the frame. But I   have 3  runs ( texexec, mpost,
> texexec).

Yes, the cases 3a = 3b should have at least 3 runs. With shell_escape=t
only 2 are needed. You are right.

> With XYPic, a similar result can be achieved without mpost:
> %%
> %% WARNING:: deprecated example
> %% Don't use it !
> %%
> \input xy
> \xyoption{frame}
> \starttext
> \xy
> (0,0) *++=\hbox{\framed{Hallo frame}} *\frm{o} ;
> \endxy
> \stoptext
>
> Of course this doesn't mean that XY is better/worse than mpost, nor that
> using mpost coupled with context will be always slow than others ways;
> but sometimes a faster alternative may be required.

All right, I agree for somebody and sometimes xypic might be use with
advantage. I was thinkink about general recommendation.

> Sure for XYPic, name spaces collisions, cpu/memory required, syntax are

+ limitation by substance: drawing is mostly done via fonts

> (some) items
> to consider: but it also comes with a bunch of features and may be
> faster than mpost
> in some circumstances.
>
> [OT] XFIG: fig2dev can be export to metapost and in multi-metapost.
> Hence, from the moon, I see that xfig can be used with context.

Export to context is good news. But still no parametrization possible :-(

vit

* Re: XYpic
@ 2005-04-29 10:27                   ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-04-29 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit, the last things.
After that I consider this topic closed.

 >>+ limitation by substance: drawing is mostly done via fonts
Yes, I forget to write it.
 >>[XFIG]..Export to context is good news. But still no parametrization
possible :-(
..maybe something to play this summer...

Now for metapost:

shell_escape= f
in texmf.cnf
so \write18 is disabled.

$>texexec --pdf f
No circle; it seems right, because f.log says
systems        : randomizer starts with 797065300
mpost  -progname=mpost -mem=metafun f-mpgraph
system()...disabled.

$> shell_escape=x ; texutil --purgeall; texexec --pdf f
As before.

$> shell_escape= ; texutil --purgeall; texexec --pdf f
As before.

$> shell_escape=t ; texutil --purgeall; texexec --pdf f
Circle ok; again it's right, f.log says
systems        : randomizer starts with 800565448
system(mpost  -progname=mpost -mem=metafun f-mpgraph)...executed.

$> shell_escape=f ; texutil --purgeall; texexec --pdf f
Strange:circle again.
I found into texexec.pl
if (($ENV{shell_escape} eq 'f') || ($ENV{SHELL_ESCAPE} eq 'f')) {
    $AutoMPRun = 1 ;
}
Hence texexec/texutil has called mpost instead of \write18; it's like
shell_escape=t
(for this task, not in general sense, of course)
Hmm, it's not crystal clear:
shell_escape=f  means "shell_escape is  False"
shell_escape=t  means "shell_escape is  True"
but for processing f.tex 'True and False are the same'

$>shell_escape=; texutil --purge; texexec --pdf --automprun f
Circle ok; it seems right, because I force execution of mpost.

Again, many thanks
luigi