* Examples for letters, articles, books?
@ 2003-11-20 15:10 Ralph Pöllath
From: Ralph Pöllath @ 2003-11-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please forgive me if this is a FAQ, but since I just subscribed and the
archives aren't searchable, I thought I'd ask.

I've been a casual LaTeX user for a couple of years, and now I'd like
to give ConTeXt a try. The one thing I'm missing in the docs is a set
of examples for common documents, such as letters, articles, books and
so on. Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
-Ralph.

* Re: Examples for letters, articles, books?
@ 2003-11-20 16:33 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-11-20 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ralph,

For beginners this looks like a need. However I woudl suggest you take the
"Context an excursion". Look for the file mp-cb-en.pdf on the Pragma site
(www.pragma-ade.com). - Working with this document will let you build your
first document ...

Kind regards Willi

@ 2003-11-20 16:53   ` Ralph Pöllath
From: Ralph Pöllath @ 2003-11-20 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20.11.2003, at 17:33, Willi Egger wrote:
> For beginners this looks like a need. However I woudl suggest you take
> the "Context an excursion". Look for the file mp-cb-en.pdf on the
> Pragma site (www.pragma-ade.com). - Working with this document will
> let you build your first document ...

Thanks, Willi. I had skimmed "Context an excursion" already, but I
guess I'll take a closer look.

But that leads me to another question: What's with the naming scheme?
It sure doesn't make it easier to memorize which of the many
documentation PDFs covers what - unless there is in fact a reason
behind it, in which case I'd like to know :-)

Thanks,
-Ralph.

* Re: docs naming scheme (was: Examples...)
@ 2003-11-20 18:28     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-11-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 20.11.03, um 17:53 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Ralph
Pöllath:

> But that leads me to another question: What's with the naming scheme?
> It sure doesn't make it easier to memorize which of the many
> documentation PDFs covers what - unless there is in fact a reason
> behind it, in which case I'd like to know :-)

What starts with "m" ist mostly a manual (except e.g. magazines, that
start with "mag");
an "i" oder "s" means an interactive/screen version, if there's also an
"p" (paper or print) version; sometimes there are language versions, so
"eni" is english interactive, while "nlp" is nederlandse print.
What starts with "pre" has to do with presentations. What starts with
"x" is about XML.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Examples for letters, articles, books?
@ 2003-11-20 18:42     ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2003-11-20 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Ralph Pöllath <lists@poellath.org> writes:

> But that leads me to another question: What's with the naming scheme?
> It sure doesn't make it easier to memorize which of the many
> documentation PDFs covers what - unless there is in fact a reason
> behind it, in which case I'd like to know :-)

A lot of TeX-philes still use 8-character name + 3-character extension
filenames.  I think it's for compatibility with DOS.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/