* Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09  9:22 ^Nitram^
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: ^Nitram^ @ 2003-09-09  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
 For windows unfortunately...

 TeXnicCenter looks good, but there is support only for LaTeX...

--
Best regards
Martin

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09  9:55 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:22 09/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>  For windows unfortunately...
>
>  TeXnicCenter looks good, but there is support only for LaTeX...

i'm currently using SciTE, some day soon i'll post the new tex/mp lexer i
wrote which does proper tex syntax highlighting and knows the
tex/etex/pdftex/context commands and  has setups for running/viewing files
from the editor (tex/xml); since we'll use it here, i'll add the support
files to the distribution -)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09 12:22   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-09-09 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 05:55, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 11:22 09/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
> >  For windows unfortunately...
> >
> >  TeXnicCenter looks good, but there is support only for LaTeX...

Vim/Gvim has syntax highlighting for TeX/Latex. It is my understanding
thast one can add to or modify the syntax files. I find the generic TeX
highlighting sufficient for my needs.

With some work one can put expanding and collapsing outlines in Vim as
well.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/

* Re[2]: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09 12:44     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-09 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, September 9, 2003 John Culleton wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2003 05:55, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> At 11:22 09/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>> >  For windows unfortunately...
>> >
>> >  TeXnicCenter looks good, but there is support only for LaTeX...
>>
> Vim/Gvim has syntax highlighting for TeX/Latex. It is my understanding
> thast one can add to or modify the syntax files. I find the generic TeX
> highlighting sufficient for my needs.

> With some work one can put expanding and collapsing outlines in Vim as
> well.

In fact I use gVim with all my ConTeXt files. I also put some
extra stuff (not much) specific for ConTeXt, and enabled
folding. I *even* tried to use the Perl integration to pop up
context-sensitive keyword help with TeXShow, but failed
miserably :\

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09 12:50 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2003-09-09 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, ^Nitram^ wrote:
>  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>  For windows unfortunately...

I use NTEmacs. My flavor of (Con)TeX(t) comes on the TeXLive CD that also
has NTEmacs, so I can install the editor at the same time with the rest of
the system. This far I've managed to fairly successfully use the
combination in Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP (otherwise perfect,
getting fonts to work takes some time - now I have a cheat sheet for this,
if needed).

NTEmacs turns ConTeXt compatible with Berend Boer's ConTeXt mode, see
<http://www.berendboer.net/emacs/>. With the changes suggested by Berend's
ConTeXt readme (except it still has a typo in it... my .emacs is available
at request), I can do all my ConTeXt work in NTEmacs, including pdf
compilation and viewing.

I'd assume that NTEmacs with its reasonably good mouse compatibility and
everything would be fairly suitable even to a Windows person, assuming
(s)he knows what an editor is for (>< not word processor).

I might add here, that I first tried WinEdt, but its ConTeXt compatibility
wasn't very good at the point (over a year back), so I opted for Emacs
instead, having been an Emacs person earlier, albeit in Unix.

Cheers,

	Mari

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09 15:32 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-09-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

^Nitram^ wrote:

>  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>  For windows unfortunately...

If u're stuck with Windows, I don't think anything is better than
WinEdt. It's awesome and easy to use. For ConTeXt, I just redefined the
pdfTeX batch file to call texexec, and made another batch file for
Omega. I also designed a couple of buttons for special purposes and
added them to the menu.

The only drawback I know of is that it's windows-only and if u switch to
a better;-) operating system u will have 2 learn an entirely new editor.

Best
Idris

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-09 17:44 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-09 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Martin,

>  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>  For windows unfortunately...

there is of course the one and only true editor called emacs. It is
available for the windows operationg system. As Mari already wrote,
you can download context.el from Berend somewhere.

There is also ConTeXt support in the current AUCTeX distribution,
available via cvs. See https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/auctex/ for
details. There is also a ConTeXt help system for emacs at
http://levana.de/emacs/  (look for etexshow).

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-09 18:42   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-09-09 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 09.09.03, um 14:50 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Mari Voipio:
> NTEmacs turns ConTeXt compatible with Berend Boer's ConTeXt mode, see
> <http://www.berendboer.net/emacs/>. With the changes suggested by
> Berend's

The link is really: http://www.berenddeboer.net/emacs/

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-23 16:51   ` Steve Grathwohl
From: Steve Grathwohl @ 2003-09-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:55 AM 9/9/2003 +0200, Hans wrote:
>At 11:22 09/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>>  For windows unfortunately...
>>
>>  TeXnicCenter looks good, but there is support only for LaTeX...
>
>i'm currently using SciTE, some day soon i'll post the new tex/mp lexer i
>wrote which does proper tex syntax highlighting and knows the
>tex/etex/pdftex/context commands and  has setups for running/viewing files
>from the editor (tex/xml); since we'll use it here, i'll add the support
>files to the distribution -)
>
>Hans

I, too, have been using SciTE of late. Hans, are you still planning on
adding your SciTE modifications to the distribution, or zipped up separately?

Steve

--
Steve Grathwohl * grath@duke.edu
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

* Re: Editor for ConTeXt ?...
@ 2003-09-25 17:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-25 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:51 23/09/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>At 11:55 AM 9/9/2003 +0200, Hans wrote:
>>At 11:22 09/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>  Anybody know about any editor with ConTeXt support ?...
>>>  For windows unfortunately...
>>>
>>>  TeXnicCenter looks good, but there is support only for LaTeX...
>>
>>i'm currently using SciTE, some day soon i'll post the new tex/mp lexer i
>>wrote which does proper tex syntax highlighting and knows the
>>tex/etex/pdftex/context commands and  has setups for running/viewing
>>files from the editor (tex/xml); since we'll use it here, i'll add the
>>support files to the distribution -)
>>
>>Hans
>
>I, too, have been using SciTE of late. Hans, are you still planning on
>adding your SciTE modifications to the distribution, or zipped up separately?

sure, as it happens, scite 1.55 is out so i need to work my patches in
there, then i'll post them so that you can test 'm (will see what i can do
tonight)