From: Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>
Subject: Re: New installation setup (was: Cannot build plain format)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:44:43 +0200	[thread overview]

> Am 19.04.2020 um 11:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> As a side note: a while ago mojca and i discussed the future repository and installation setup which will use github repositories
>
> (1) - context (including luametatex sources)
> (2) - binaries (for a subset of platforms)
> (3) - resources (like fonts and such)
> (4) - modules (stable ones pushed from the main garden repos)
>
> but we simply didn't find time to follow up on that. We have to adapt installers too and we want to do it right from the start.
>
> Now, we're not in a particular hurry, but in playing with all this it can happen that the current distributions get flaws.
>
> (As a side effect the more or less official release of luametatex has been postponed a few times because it depends on (1) which in turn depends on pushing older context distributions etc. But then, due to the current health crisis, time has slowed down anyway.)

Sounds good. Is documentation part of (3) or can it be another section?

While I want to install "everything" on my work machine, it would make sense to restrict a server installation (or a beta version for tests) to the bare minimum (without docs, but maybe with fonts).

I also would very much appreciate to be able to install older versions (like "in the old times") to check when some changes happened. Git repositories serve the same purpose, probably even better.

I’d suggest to keep those sections in separate repositories and install them as texmf-context, texmf-fonts, texmf-docs or the like (similar to the current state, but selectable). Git submodules *should* work to combine several repos, but the implementation has flaws (e.g. "git submodule update" tries to access all submodules at once, and if you must enter credentials, the prompts get mixed up).

Best, Hraban