* setupinmargin, setupmargindata ; page numbers ; fonts
@ 2014-11-25  2:47 Richard Sherman
From: Richard Sherman @ 2014-11-25  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I am having trouble with the control of fonts in \inmargin{} and in page
numbers. I'm also having trouble with the alignment in \inmargin{}, and with
font sizes generally.

I've used what I know about \setupmargindata and \setupinmargin(and
\setuppagenumbering).

Below is an example that (almost) does what I want.

The two or three problems I've tried and failed to solve are

1. control over the font size of the marginal note (rather than just \small; I
want to choose a point-size)

2. control over the font and size of the page number. At first I used
\setuppagenumbering[location={header, right, inmargin}] (yes, one of 'right' and
'inmargin' seems to be redundant).  Getting a sans-serif page number, I assumed
that \setupmargindata was controlling that, so I just switched to 'right', but
my page number is still sans-serif. I've tried such things as [location={header,
right}, style={normal, small}], as well as variants {\small}, {normal},
{\normal}, serif, \serif, etc. with not luck

3. in \setupmargindata and \setupinmargin, none of the 'align=' options seems to
have any effect.

More generally, I have trouble understanding how to specify font sizes in
ConTeXt, how to set up the font and font-size of page elements, how to include
comma-separated lists following 'style=', where even within braces all but the
first option seems to be ignored (at least in my margin setup commands).

I also can't figure out why, though the default (location) for
\setuppagenumbering is {header, center} (and (font style) normal?), my page
numbers default to sans, and when 'location=right' is specified without
'header', the page number is on the right in the ... footer (?!)

Thanks for any help. -Richard

\setuplayout[width=5in, header=.5in, footer=.5in, backspace=2in, location=right]
\setupwhitespace[big] \setupindenting[none] \setupmargindata[location=left,
align=outer, style={\ss \small}] \setuppagenumbering[location={header, right}]

\definefontfamily [myfamily] [serif] [baskervaldx] \definefontfamily [myfamily]
[italic] [baskervaldxita] \definefontfamily [myfamily] [bold] [baskervaldxbol]
\definefontfamily [myfamily] [sans] [gillsansstd] \definefontfamily [myfamily]
[mono] [CourierNew] \setupbodyfont [myfamily]

\starttext

ConTeXt is software\inmargin{A brief description of \ConTeXt} for typesetting
high-quality documents. Unlike familiar word processors where the
\emph{formatting} of the final document is crafted while writing the content,
ConTeXt documents are written \bold{without} formatting, in \mono{plain text},
using a macro language. This means that the document's content can change
independently of its formatting and vice versa.

ConTeXt is software for typesetting high-quality documents.\inmargin{This
repeats the brief description above} Unlike familiar word processors where the
formatting of the final document is crafted while writing the content, ConTeXt
documents are written without formatting, in plain text, using a macro language.
This means that the document's content can change independently of its
formatting and vice versa.

\stoptext