From: Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Simpleton bibliography
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 13:21:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On 26 Jan 2014, at 12:00 ,  john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote

> Question 1: What are the other options for
> \setupbtxrendering and what do they do? (In my
> world Bibliographies are seldom numbered.)
>
> Question 2: Suppose I want to follow a different
> standard, other than APA, such as harvard or
> Chicago or whatever: where do I code that
> choice and how? Are bst files still in play?
>
> Question 3: url is mentioned. Does that mean that
> url can actually used as a data field name?

Hi,
I have struggled with Bibliographies and almost gave up, because of the non-standard, and changing, style requirements (like apa but different in details, with, moreover, three different styles for citations in footnotes: full data, a shorter version and a still shorter version, the latter probably (authoryear), but I'm still not sure).

In the end I used for everything the category "booklet", which is less of a  straitjacket than the other categories. It gives you the freedom to put some extra details (if needed) in the title and also to style the "author" the way you want (for example Last name, First name  or Last name, initials, or Initials Last name or whatever you want.)
You can also use urls there, as far as I know.

For consistency you would still need a bibl style file, for which I used a tweaked version of bibl-apa.tex. (which is in ~/<context-minimal>/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/bib)

And a last thing: I input not the BibTeX database but  the .bbl which I generate separately. I can tweak that if necessary or to add specific features, like horizontal lines in the Bibliography for repeated author names. (Another requirement which I personally don't like).

Maybe all this is rather unworthy of ConTeXt but it is comparatively easy to accomplish and it works.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone