* Re: Simpleton bibliography
       [not found] <mailman.3.1390734002.29008.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-01-26 12:21 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-01-26 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 26 Jan 2014, at 12:00 ,  john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote

> Question 1: What are the other options for
> \setupbtxrendering and what do they do? (In my
> world Bibliographies are seldom numbered.)
>
> Question 2: Suppose I want to follow a different
> standard, other than APA, such as harvard or
> Chicago or whatever: where do I code that
> choice and how? Are bst files still in play?
>
> Question 3: url is mentioned. Does that mean that
> url can actually used as a data field name?

Hi,
I have struggled with Bibliographies and almost gave up, because of the non-standard, and changing, style requirements (like apa but different in details, with, moreover, three different styles for citations in footnotes: full data, a shorter version and a still shorter version, the latter probably (authoryear), but I'm still not sure).

In the end I used for everything the category "booklet", which is less of a  straitjacket than the other categories. It gives you the freedom to put some extra details (if needed) in the title and also to style the "author" the way you want (for example Last name, First name  or Last name, initials, or Initials Last name or whatever you want.)
You can also use urls there, as far as I know.

For consistency you would still need a bibl style file, for which I used a tweaked version of bibl-apa.tex. (which is in ~/<context-minimal>/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/bib)

And a last thing: I input not the BibTeX database but  the .bbl which I generate separately. I can tweak that if necessary or to add specific features, like horizontal lines in the Bibliography for repeated author names. (Another requirement which I personally don't like).

Maybe all this is rather unworthy of ConTeXt but it is comparatively easy to accomplish and it works.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: Simpleton bibliography
@ 2014-01-26 10:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-26 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/26/2014 1:01 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> A very recent (Jan 21) wiki article lists this
> example for a simple bibliography:
> -----------------------------
> \usebtxdataset
>    [mybibfile.bib]
> \setupbtxrendering
>    [numbering=yes]
> ---------------------------------
> Now that is simple enough for starters.
>
> Question 1: What are the other options for
> \setupbtxrendering and what do they do? (In my
> world Bibliographies are seldom numbered.)
>
> Question 2: Suppose I want to follow a different
> standard, other than APA, such as harvard or
> Chicago or whatever: where do I code that
> choice and how? Are bst files still in play?
>
> Question 3: url is mentioned. Does that mean that
> url can actually used as a data field name?
>
> I am of the KISS persuasion (Keep It Simple
> Silly). All of furbelows and feathers that
> fascinate real experts are not my cup of code.
> Bless the real experts, without them there would
> be no TeX or Context, but I am not of their clan.
>
> All I want to do is:
>
> A: Create a list of books properly encoded in
> bibtex or similar style. Probably all the entries
> will be @book types.
>
> B: print items out of that list as I choose them
> with \cite or \nocite in a backmatter chapter
> called "references" or "bibliography".

this new bib interface is still in development and should not be used in
production at all ... it's in the beta because that makes testing for
Alan, Thomas, Luigi and me easier. It will take a few month before it's
ready. The wiki has some info but again, that's an experiment where
luigi creates pages from the export of the manual-in-flux.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Simpleton bibliography

[...]