* typesetting serial letters in Context
@ 2017-06-13  7:40 r.ermers
From: r.ermers @ 2017-06-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have been using Context mkii with the x-corres.mkii module for a number of years now, for many different purposes (mailings, certificates, etc). The module works with an xml (actually rng) file with the following structure:

<contacts>
	<contact label=“pietjanssen">
		<formalname>Janssen</formalname>
		<informalname>Piet</informalname>
	</contact>
</contacts>

The contents of each item is grabbed and put in the document by means of the command \XMLflush{formalname}.

I would like to shift to mkiv now with all its possibilities.

Yet there is no x-corres.mkiv. Who can help me out?

Regards,

Robert

* Re: typesetting serial letters in Context
@ 2017-06-13  7:53 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2017-06-13  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 9:40 AM,  <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been using Context mkii with the x-corres.mkii module for a number of years now, for many different purposes (mailings, certificates, etc). The module works with an xml (actually rng) file with the following structure:
>
> <contacts>
>         <contact label=“pietjanssen">
>                 <formalname>Janssen</formalname>
>                 <informalname>Piet</informalname>
>         </contact>
> </contacts>
>
> The contents of each item is grabbed and put in the document by means of the command \XMLflush{formalname}.
>
> I would like to shift to mkiv now with all its possibilities.
>
> Yet there is no x-corres.mkiv. Who can help me out?

I don't remember x-corres.mkiv, but
mkiv has a guide
tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/xml-mkiv.pdf

--
luigi

* Re: typesetting serial letters in Context
@ 2017-06-13  8:31   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2017-06-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 13. Jun 2017, at 09:53, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yet there is no x-corres.mkiv. Who can help me out?
>>
> I don't remember x-corres.mkiv, but
> mkiv has a guide
> tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/xml-mkiv.pdf

Yes, typesetting xml in mkiv is a completely different beast from mkii. It is vastly superior and very powerful, but you will have to relearn and recode. There is the manual Luigi mentioned, there are also some pages on the wiki to facilitate the transition.

Thomas

* Re: typesetting serial letters in Context
@ 2017-06-13 10:46     ` r.ermers
From: r.ermers @ 2017-06-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem is that I am not a programmer: I do not know where to start …

Robert

@ 2017-06-13 13:59   ` r.ermers
From: r.ermers @ 2017-06-13 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can take the information out of the nodes. The main problem is to use them in a layout and in a sequences other the one they appear in the xml data file.

In the current (mkii) file I have something like this: \midaligned{\XMLflush{formalname}, \XMLflush{informalname}}.

Another point on my wishlist is to change the background of the certificate depending on the type of certificate. In mkii I manage to do this as follows:

File: participants.xml
<contacts>
<contact>
<formalname>Janssen</formalname>
<informalname>Piet</informalname>
<courselevel>levelA</courselevel>
</contact>
</contacts>

certificates.tex:
\resetlayer[module]{}
\setlayer[module][][]{\externalfigure[\XMLflush{courselevel}[width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}

\useexternalfigure[levelA][sjablonen/backgroundlevelA.pdf]

Help is very much appreciated!

Robert

@ 2017-06-15  8:51     ` r.ermers
       [not found]       ` <7fb67473-c59c-9fd5-5ff5-f9648d7d3d89@uni-bonn.de>
From: r.ermers @ 2017-06-15  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I still cannot generate letters from my xml database, although there is apparently a solution to use csv files through lua code (https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/72735/how-to-create-form-letters-from-spreadsheet-data-in-context <https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/72735/how-to-create-form-letters-from-spreadsheet-data-in-context>).

Your help is much appreciated!

Yet I found out how to generate certificates with backgrounds changing according to the candidate's course level, which I would like to share with you:

%%%%%

participants.xml

<contacts>
<contact>
<formalname>Janssen</formalname>
<informalname>Piet</informalname>
<initials>P.</initials>
<courselevel>levelA</courselevel>
<coursedate>1 june 2017</coursedate>
<city>Nijmegen</city>
</contact>
</contacts>

%%%%

certificates.tex

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
\setuplayout[width=170mm,topspace=60mm,rightmargindistance=2.5mm]
\definelayer[module][width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,preset=middle]
\useexternalfigure[levelA][sjablonen/CourseLevelA.pdf]
\resetlayer[level]{}

\setupbackgrounds[page][background={level}]

\startxmlsetups xml:setups
	\xmlsetsetup{#1}{contacts}{xml:contacts}
	\xmlsetsetup{#1}{contact}{xml:contacts:contact}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:setups}

\startxmlsetups xml:contacts
     \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:contacts:contact
	\setlayer[module][][]{\externalfigure[\xmltext{#1}{/courselevel}][factor=550]}

	\startalignment [middle]
	\color[red]{{\tfd \xmltext{#1}{/initials}} {\tfd \xmltext{#1}{/formalname}}\par

	\blank[10mm]

	{\ss \xmltext{#1}{/city}, \xmltext{#1}{/coursedate}}

	\stopalignment
	\page[yes]
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
\xmlprocessfile{main}{./participants.xml}{}

\stoptext

Kind regards,

Robert

@ 2017-06-15 21:58         ` r.ermers
       [not found]           ` <0cabd384-96af-bbb2-82b1-37eb64f28221@uni-bonn.de>
From: r.ermers @ 2017-06-15 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your advice.

I would like to have a system with which I can send letters to people in my database.

It would be nice to be able to make selections according to labels (probably with xmlatt), but that can be done later.

I am not a programmer - when I read the documentation, I do not understand enough of it to the extent to port it to a new program, but I can adapt and try existing code.

Thusfar I have been trying to use the letter module with the xmltext and xmlflush commands. What can be done to make this work?

Thanks!

Robert

\usemodule[letter]
\startbuffer[participants]

<contacts>
  <contact class='participant' label='Hendriks'>
    <formalname>Hendriks</formalname>
    <informalname>Karel</informalname>
    <prefix>mr.</prefix>
    <initials>K.</initials>
    <courselevel>levelA</courselevel>
    <coursedate>1 june 2017</coursedate>
    <city>Arnhem</city>
    <address>
    </address>
  </contact>

  <contact class='participant' label='Janssen'>
    <formalname>Janssen</formalname>
    <informalname>Piet</informalname>
    <initials>P.</initials>
    <prefix>mr.</prefix>
    <courselevel>levelA</courselevel>
    <coursedate>1 june 2017</coursedate>
    <city>Nijmegen</city>
    <address>
    </address>
  </contact>
</contacts>

\stopbuffer

\startxmlsetups xml:setups
\xmlsetsetup{#1}{contacts|contact|address|prefix}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:setups}

\startxmlsetups xml:contacts
\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:contact

%\setupletter[
%  name={Sender},
%  email={},
%  signature={X}]

\startletter
  [opening={Dear \xmltext{#1}{/prefix} \xmltext{#1}{/formalname},},
   closing={Kind regards,},
   signature={X},
   toaddress={\xmltext{#1}{/address}},
   subject={Interesting offer}]

\input knuth

%\xmltext{#1}{/informalname}
%Without the letter instructions, the code yields the names in informalname.

\stopletter
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
\xmlprocessbuffer{main}{participants}{}
\stoptext

tex error on line 17 in file /Users/mac/Documents/doc/moperspectief/brieven/brieven2mkiv.tex: ! Use of \correspondence_start_parameters doesn't match its definition

\doifelsenextoptional ...\def \m_syst_action_yes {
                                                  #1}\def \m_syst_action_nop...
\setupletter ...bleargument \correspondence_setup
                                                  [\v!letter ]
\14>:xml:contact #1->\setupletter
                                  [name={Sender},email={},signature={X}]\def...
l.17 }

\14>:xml:contacts #1->\xmlflush {#1}

l.7 }

'