* LuaTeX beta-0.60.0 on Mac OS X Tiger (was: Latest beta...)
@ 2010-04-17 16:41 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-17 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mac users,

according to the latest findings it seems that natively compiled
LuaTeX still works on Mac OS X Tiger, but the cross-compiled one
(compiled on 64-bit Mac OS X Snow Leopard) won't work on Tiger since
the version beta-0.60.0. However, users report that it still runs
perfectly fine on Leopard.

Michael has sent me a new binary compiled on PPC; any user of Tiger on
Intel (Willi?) that would like to use the new beta should sent me his
own binary.

But in any case it would be great if somebody would figure out the
reason why the new LuaTeX fails to work on older macs. Before we were
first able to cross-compile, Arthur had to suggest quite some changes
in LuaTeX source, so maybe some of newly added libraries or some
configuration started messing up things recently.

Based on some assumptions:
- there are not too many Mac OS X 10.4 machines around
- there are not too many testers of the latest-and-greatest LuaTeX
version (apart from ConTeXt community)
- if there appears to be a combination of both, users will either
stick to some older TeX or at least they will compile luatex on their
own (again, apart from ConTeXt community)
I expect that there will probably not be much more feedback about the
problem, but it would be really really great to fix it. I have no
access to Tiger at the moment. I hope that Dick will be able to
provide some more feedback once he comes to it. Until that is
resolved: if osx-intel/osx-ppc users want to have a working version of
minimals, you'll have to provide luatex version on your own.

Mojca

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:40, Michael Green wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 21:24, Willi Egger wrote:
>> > I just updated the latest beta in a completely new tree:
>> >
>> > I get now the following message:
>> >
>> > .../lua60/tex/texmf-osx-intel/bin/context: line 2:  1634 Bus error
>> >     mtxrun --script context "$@"
>> [snip]
>> This might as well be a mac-intel-only luatex-related problem
>> (something for Taco in any case), but I cannot reproduce it yet.
>>
>> Mojca

> I hit a similar problem on a ppc mac. So it's probably not an intel-only
> thing.
> The .firstsetup script crashes. It worked fine through at least March 23,
> for what it's worth.
> Here's a transcript
> I have a crash log too, if that would help.
> sudo ./first-setup.sh
> receiving file list ... done
> bin/
> bin/mtx-update.lua
> bin/mtxrun
> bin/texlua
> wrote 18489 bytes  read 4918220 bytes  229614.37 bytes/sec
> total size is 6550101  speedup is 1.33
> MTXrun | fileio: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to
> '/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context/bin'
> MTXrun | fileio: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to
> '/Users/michaelgreen/Applications/context'
> MTXrun | fileio: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to
> '/Users/michaelgreen/Applications'
> MTXrun | fileio: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to
> '{$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/texmf{-
> local,.local,}/web2c}'
> MTXrun | fileio: no cnf files found (TEXMFCNF may not be set/known)
> MTXrun | using script: ./bin/mtx-update.lua
> MTXrun | state: loaded
> MTXrun | update: start
> ./first-setup.sh: line 69:  5194 Bus error               mtxrun --verbose
> --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --
> update --make --force --engine=all --context=beta --texroot=$PWD/tex $@

* Re: LuaTeX beta-0.60.0 on Mac OS X Tiger (was: Latest beta...)
@ 2010-04-19 21:17 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

sorry for my slow responding rate.

I just compiled luatex 0.60.0 native on Tiger 10.11. - After
installing and updating it looks like that it works!.
i send the binary to Mojca offline.

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2010-04-20 10:48 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-20 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Tiger users of ConTeXt minimals,

I have another tiny request for you. Can you please download luatex
version 3520 and 3559 for your platform from
    http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/luatex/
rename it into luatex and do
    chmod +x luatex
to make sure that it's executable. Then replace that version of luatex
with the one in your ConTeXt distribution.

It would be nice to know which versions fail to work to make it easier to debug.

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

PS for Dick: this is the promissed version of cross-compiled LuaTeX -
the version 3590 is the one equivalent to the latest beta that
certainly fails to work (Bus error).

* Re: LuaTeX beta-0.60.0 on Mac OS X Tiger (was: Latest beta...)
@ 2010-04-20 14:29   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-04-20 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Hi Mojca,

I downloaded as asked.

Version 3520:
	luatools --generate does generate the database.
	context --make all results in a bus error.
	mtxrun results in a bus error.

Version 3559:
	luatools --generate results in a bus error.
	mtxrun results in a bus error.

:-( So we are not yet further I am afraid.

Kind regards

Willi