* contextref.pdf unsearchable?
@ 2014-08-17 18:33 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2014-08-17 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have two  manuals, cont-enp.pdf (2001) and contextref.pdf (2013). I often have to go to cont-enp.pdf because contextref.pdf is unsearchable. Is it indeed unsearchable? Or is something wrong at my end?

* Re: contextref.pdf unsearchable?
@ 2014-08-17 18:44 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-08-17 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
> I have two  manuals, cont-enp.pdf (2001) and contextref.pdf (2013). I often have to go to cont-enp.pdf because contextref.pdf is unsearchable. Is it indeed unsearchable? Or is something wrong at my end?

contextref.pdf is searchable here.

/Mikael

* Re: contextref.pdf unsearchable?
@ 2014-08-17 18:46   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2014-08-17 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Aug 2014, at 20:44, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
>> I have two  manuals, cont-enp.pdf (2001) and contextref.pdf (2013). I often have to go to cont-enp.pdf because contextref.pdf is unsearchable. Is it indeed unsearchable? Or is something wrong at my end?

> contextref.pdf is searchable here.

Where did you download your version? I'd like to test with exactly the same.

@ 2014-08-17 18:57     ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-08-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2014, at 20:44, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
>>> I have two  manuals, cont-enp.pdf (2001) and contextref.pdf (2013). I often have to go to cont-enp.pdf because contextref.pdf is unsearchable. Is it indeed unsearchable? Or is something wrong at my end?

>> contextref.pdf is searchable here.
>
> Where did you download your version? I'd like to test with exactly the same.

Google gave me (among the first hits):

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~hansm/docs/context/contextref.pdf
and
http://pmrb.free.fr/contextref.pdf

Both searchable.

/Mikael

* Re: contextref.pdf unsearchable?
@ 2014-08-17 20:15       ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2014-08-17 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don’t know where I got it but the one I had (MacTeX?) was unsearchable and had not working links. But yours is OK. Thanks.

@ 2014-08-18  8:43         ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2014-08-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

It turns out my version of Mac OS X is to blame. When you open a PDF in Safari and you want to save it, you need to open it in Preview first. But when you then save it somewhere from Preview, searching and other stuff is damaged. It apparently is not saved ‘as is’.

On 17 Aug 2014, at 22:15, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:

> I don’t know where I got it but the one I had (MacTeX?) was unsearchable and had not working links. But yours is OK. Thanks.

> On 17 Aug 2014, at 20:57, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Where did you download your version? I'd like to test with exactly the same.
>>
>> Google gave me (among the first hits):
>>
>> http://staff.science.uva.nl/~hansm/docs/context/contextref.pdf
>> and
>> http://pmrb.free.fr/contextref.pdf
>>
>> Both searchable.
>>
>> /Mikael

* Re: contextref.pdf unsearchable? (OT)
@ 2014-08-18 18:03           ` Keith Schultz
From: Keith Schultz @ 2014-08-18 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gerben,

You do not need to use Preview. If you move your cursor to bottom middle of the
PDF in Safari among otherthings a save button shows up! If you click it,
your PDF is saved to the standard download location.
If you want to save the PDF somewhere else then you can do it from the page
where the link is and right-click it to get a pop up menu and you can the
download the pdf to where you want it and even rename it.

regards
	Keith.

@ 2014-08-19 13:46             ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2014-08-19 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)