* makeupwidth in columns
@ 2013-02-24 15:36 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2013-02-24 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 864 bytes --]

The contextrefmanual tells me in table 3.2 the following on the behaviour of the variables denoting the width of texts:

[cid:D468CE47-C987-414C-84B0-47652AC59361@fritz.box]

But the claim that \textwidth gives the width of a column is false. See the following minimal example, the first picture is set with 0.45\makeupwidth, the second with 0.9\textwidth.
It is clear that \textwidth does not follow the claim.

Hans van der Meer

ConTeXt  ver: 2013.01.27 21:24 MKIV  fmt: 2013.1.28  int: english/english

\setupcolumns[rule=on,n=2]
\starttext
\startcolumns
\input tufte
\placefigure{Test picture}{\externalfigure[test.jpg][width=0.45\makeupwidth]}
\placefigure{Test picture}{\externalfigure[test.jpg][width=0.9\textwidth]}
\input tufte
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

[cid:EB7A4C53-E754-481F-AB87-D6DE646347FD@fritz.box]

Hans van der Meer

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2237 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: Untitled.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 25455 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: Untitled.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpg, Size: 20086 bytes --]

* Re: makeupwidth in columns
@ 2013-02-24 22:04 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-02-24 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.02.2013 um 16:36 schrieb "Meer, H. van der" <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:

> The contextrefmanual tells me in table 3.2 the following on the behaviour of the variables denoting the width of texts:
>
> <Untitled.jpg>
>
> But the claim that \textwidth gives the width of a column is false. See the following minimal example, the first picture is set with 0.45\makeupwidth, the second with 0.9\textwidth.
> It is clear that \textwidth does not follow the claim.

There is a local setting for the text width missing in the mliv version of the code.

% page-mul.mkiv

\unexpanded\def\page_mul_command_set_hsize % beware, this one is available for use in macros
  {\setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\page_mul_between_columns}%
   \d_page_mul_distance\wd\scratchbox
   \d_page_mul_available_width\dimexpr
      \makeupwidth
     -\d_page_mul_leftskip
     -\d_page_mul_rightskip
     -\nofcolumns\d_page_mul_distance
     +\d_page_mul_distance
   \relax
   \d_page_mul_used_width\dimexpr
      \d_page_mul_available_width/\nofcolumns
     -\d_page_mul_offset*\plustwo
   \relax
+  \textwidth\d_page_mul_used_width
   \hsize\d_page_mul_used_width}

% page-mix.mkiv

\unexpanded\def\page_mix_command_set_hsize
- {\hsize\d_page_mix_column_width}
+ {\textwidth\d_page_mix_column_width
+  \hsize\d_page_mix_column_width}

Wolfgang