* pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-23 14:34 Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

is there a way for margintext to 'respect' the lower border of the page and push the margintext up, pushing other margintexts upwards while doing so?

example:

\definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
\setuppapersize [wissenschaft]

\setuplayout
 [topspace=40pt,
  header=0pt,
  headerdistance=0pt,
  backspace=42pt,
  leftmargin=0pt,
  width=280pt,
  height=560pt,
  rightmargindistance=20pt,
  rightmargin=100pt,
  footer=0pt]

\setupmargindata [margintext]
    [location=outer,
    width=100pt,
    align=flushouter]

\starttext \showframe

\input tufte
\input tufte
\input tufte\margintext{This is too low, if there are many words in this note.}

\stoptext

Kind of hard to explain, I hope the example makes everything clear.

Andy

* Re: pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-27 15:57 ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

could someone point out to me, where in the standalone installation the 'margin float placement' algorithm lives.

Thanks,
Andy

On May 23, 2012, at 4:34 PM, Andy Thomas wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> is there a way for margintext to 'respect' the lower border of the page and push the margintext up, pushing other margintexts upwards while doing so?
>
> example:
>
> \definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
> \setuppapersize [wissenschaft]
>
> \setuplayout
> [topspace=40pt,
>  header=0pt,
>  headerdistance=0pt,
>  backspace=42pt,
>  leftmargin=0pt,
>  width=280pt,
>  height=560pt,
>  rightmargindistance=20pt,
>  rightmargin=100pt,
>  footer=0pt]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setupmargindata [margintext]
>    [location=outer,
>    width=100pt,
>    align=flushouter]
>
> \starttext \showframe
>
> \input tufte
> \input tufte
> \input tufte\margintext{This is too low, if there are many words in this note.}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Kind of hard to explain, I hope the example makes everything clear.
>
> Andy

* Re: pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-28 16:44   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-05-28 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andy,

On 2012-05-27 17:57, Andy Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> could someone point out to me, where in the standalone
> installation the 'margin float placement' algorithm lives.

it depends:
  Floats: strc-flt.mkvi
  Side floats: page-sid.mkiv
  Margin data (as in your example): typo-mar.mkiv

and their respective .lua companions. I suspect you will be
interested in the function „inject()“ (part of the finalizer) in
typo-mar.lua.

> > is there a way for margintext to 'respect' the lower border
> > of the page and push the margintext up, pushing other margintexts
> > upwards while doing so?

+1, I’m curious too whether this can be done.

Regards
Philipp

> > example:
> >
> > \definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
> > \setuppapersize [wissenschaft]
> >
> > \setuplayout
> > [topspace=40pt,
> >  header=0pt,
> >  headerdistance=0pt,
> >  backspace=42pt,
> >  leftmargin=0pt,
> >  width=280pt,
> >  height=560pt,
> >  rightmargindistance=20pt,
> >  rightmargin=100pt,
> >  footer=0pt]
> >
> > \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> >
> > \setupmargindata [margintext]
> >    [location=outer,
> >    width=100pt,
> >    align=flushouter]
> >
> > \starttext \showframe
> >
> > \input tufte
> > \input tufte
> > \input tufte\margintext{This is too low, if there are many words in this note.}
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Kind of hard to explain, I hope the example makes everything clear.
> >
> > Andy

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-28 17:02     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-28 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-5-2012 18:44, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On 2012-05-27 17:57, Andy Thomas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> could someone point out to me, where in the standalone
>> installation the 'margin float placement' algorithm lives.
>
> it depends:
>    Floats: strc-flt.mkvi
>    Side floats: page-sid.mkiv
>    Margin data (as in your example): typo-mar.mkiv
>
> and their respective .lua companions. I suspect you will be
> interested in the function „inject()“ (part of the finalizer) in
> typo-mar.lua.

keep in mind that this is not finished yet i.e. there is no api at the
lua end yet

>>> is there a way for margintext to 'respect' the lower border
>>> of the page and push the margintext up, pushing other margintexts
>>> upwards while doing so?
>
> +1, I’m curious too whether this can be done.

maybe some day when I'm looking into the page builder code

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-29  9:37       ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-29  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28.05.2012, at 19:02, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 28-5-2012 18:44, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> On 2012-05-27 17:57, Andy Thomas wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> could someone point out to me, where in the standalone
>>> installation the 'margin float placement' algorithm lives.
>>
>> it depends:
>>   Floats: strc-flt.mkvi
>>   Side floats: page-sid.mkiv
>>   Margin data (as in your example): typo-mar.mkiv
>>
>> and their respective .lua companions. I suspect you will be
>> interested in the function „inject()“ (part of the finalizer) in
>> typo-mar.lua.
>
> keep in mind that this is not finished yet i.e. there is no api at the lua end yet

>> +1, I’m curious too whether this can be done.
>
> maybe some day when I'm looking into the page builder code
>
> Hans

Is it possible, as a workaround for now, to make every \margintext call to virtually occur at the first line of the page? Then, they are stacked in sequence in the margin from the top of the page down, but on the page they occur.

Thank you for help,
Andy

>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-29  9:44         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-29  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-5-2012 11:37, Andy Thomas wrote:
> On 28.05.2012, at 19:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 28-5-2012 18:44, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,

>>> it depends:
>>>    Floats: strc-flt.mkvi
>>>    Side floats: page-sid.mkiv
>>>    Margin data (as in your example): typo-mar.mkiv
>>>
>>> and their respective .lua companions. I suspect you will be
>>> interested in the function „inject()“ (part of the finalizer) in
>>> typo-mar.lua.
>>
>> keep in mind that this is not finished yet i.e. there is no api at the lua end yet

>>> +1, I’m curious too whether this can be done.
>>
>> maybe some day when I'm looking into the page builder code
>>
>> Hans
>
> Is it possible, as a workaround for now, to make every \margintext call to virtually occur at the first line of the page? Then, they are stacked in sequence in the margin from the top of the page down, but on the page they occur.

not in the next few weeks as we don't change anything fundamental while
in tex live code freeze / going current .. only fixes now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pushing margintext up
@ 2012-05-29  9:58         ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-05-29  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-05-29 11:37, Andy Thomas wrote:
> On 28.05.2012, at 19:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > On 28-5-2012 18:44, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >> Hi Andy,

> >> it depends:
> >>   Floats: strc-flt.mkvi
> >>   Side floats: page-sid.mkiv
> >>   Margin data (as in your example): typo-mar.mkiv
> >>
> >> and their respective .lua companions. I suspect you will be
> >> interested in the function „inject()“ (part of the finalizer) in
> >> typo-mar.lua.
> >
> > keep in mind that this is not finished yet i.e. there is no api at the lua end yet

> >> +1, I’m curious too whether this can be done.
> >
> > maybe some day when I'm looking into the page builder code
> >
> > Hans
>
> Is it possible, as a workaround for now, to make every
> \margintext call to virtually occur at the first line of the
> page? Then, they are stacked in sequence in the margin from the
> top of the page down, but on the page they occur.

Don’t marginblocks behave like that?

···································································>8···
\definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
\setuppapersize [wissenschaft]

\setuplayout
[topspace=40pt,
 header=0pt,
 headerdistance=0pt,
 backspace=42pt,
 leftmargin=0pt,
 width=280pt,
 height=560pt,
 rightmargindistance=20pt,
 rightmargin=100pt,
 footer=0pt]

%% Margin block setup.
\setupmarginblock[
  style=bold,
  align=outer,
]

\startbuffer [mblock_demo]
  This is too low, if there are many words in this note.
\stopbuffer

\starttext \showframe

\input tufte
\input tufte %% first one’s at top of first page
\input tufte\startmarginblock\getbuffer[mblock_demo]\stopmarginblock

\page %% next one at top of second, third one immediately below
\input tufte\startmarginblock\getbuffer[mblock_demo]\stopmarginblock
\input tufte\startmarginblock\getbuffer[mblock_demo]\stopmarginblock
\input tufte

\stoptext

Regards,
Philipp