* Re: How does \setupfloat work?
       [not found] <mailman.119.1417258171.2379.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-11-29 12:38 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-11-29 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 29 Nov 2014, at 11:49 ,  Mark Szepieniec <mszepien@gmail.com> wrote
> Sorry, I should have mentioned I was able to work around it by doing
> exactly that, but I'd rather not have to edit all the \placefigure
> instances if I decide to change the width.
>
> Also I'd like to use a different default width for graphics, so
> \setupexternalfigures[width=XXXcm] wouldn't work well either.
>
> I realize I could define my own macros or something to solve this, but I'm
> just puzzled that setting width in \setupfloat[figure] doesn't work. Am I
> reading the manual wrong, or is is just not implemented yet or something?
> (honest question)

Hi Mark,
What I would probably do (again) is:

1 leave out the float dimension from the setup and use something like
\definefloat[figure][figures]
\setupfloat[figure][location=,spacebefore=,spaceafter=,sidespacebefore=,sidespaceafter=] or whatever you want in this respect

2 collect in a separate .tex-file, to be input in your document .tex-file, all figure-data in the form
\useexternalfigure[Fig1][YourFigure1.png][width=.x\textwidth]%  etc

If you want a different uniform figure width you can then easily replace ijn this file all width=.x\textwidth by width=.y\textwidth.

3 In your document .tex-file use
\placefigure[here][Fig1]{Title}
{\externalfigure[Fig1]}

This will probably give you optimal flexibility.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: How does \setupfloat work?
@ 2014-11-30  0:06     ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-11-30  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
>
>  So I guess my problem is resolved, but I'd still like to understand better
>> why my earlier solution of doing
>>
>> \setupfloat[figure][width=2cm]
>>
>> didn't set a default for later instances of \placefigure. I feel like I
>> might be missing some aspect of the ConTeXt philosophy, or I'm misreading
>> the manual, or it's just a bug...?
>>

> \setupfloat[figure] sets the values of \startplacefigure (and
> \placefigure), and not for \externalfigure. The width value for
> startplacefigure is not used anywhere.
>
> The default value of \setupfloats[width=...] is used when the float box is
> empty. So, the only scenario where the value of \setupfloats[width=...]
> will matter is the following:
>
> \starttext
> \setupfloats[width=2cm]
> \placefloat{}{}
>
> \setupfloats[width=10cm]
> \placefloat{}{}
> \stoptext
>
> Aditya

Thanks Aditya, that's very helpful and things make more sense now. Is this
stuff documented somewhere or did you consult the source code?

* Re: How does \setupfloat work?
@ 2014-11-29 23:48   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2014-11-29 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-11-29 20:46 ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-11-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM, Christoph Reller <
christoph.reller@gmail.com> wrote:

>> However,

>> > just
>> >
>> > \placefigure{}{\externalfigure[picture.png][width=2cm]}

>> Sorry, I should have mentioned I was able to work around it by doing
>> exactly that, but I'd rather not have to edit all the \placefigure
>> instances if I decide to change the width.
>>
>> Also I'd like to use a different default width for graphics, so
>> \setupexternalfigures[width=XXXcm] wouldn't work well either.
>>
>> I realize I could define my own macros or something to solve this, but I'm
>> just puzzled that setting width in \setupfloat[figure] doesn't work. Am I
>> reading the manual wrong, or is is just not implemented yet or something?
>> (honest question)
>>
>> Thanks for your response,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Hi Mark,
> You can use \defineexternalfigure as in the following example.
>
> \defineexternalfigure[whatever][width=2cm]
> \starttext
> \placefigure{}{\externalfigure[picture.png][whatever]}
> \stoptext
>
> See also http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Floating_Objects
>
> Christoph

Thanks all for your responses.

\defineexternalfigure looks like it does something very close to what I
wanted. Googling it brought me to a mailing list thread where a question
similar to mine was asked, so for future reference:
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2012/069446.html.

@ 2014-11-29 19:22 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2014-11-29 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2014-11-29 10:21   ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-11-29 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-11-29 10:03 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-11-29 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/29/2014 10:49 AM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
> I'm trying to set a default width for figures with \setupfloat. However,
> the command doesn't seem to be picking up the width specification, even
> though the manual indicates it accepts a width= argument:
>
> \setupfloat[figure][width=2cm]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placefigure{}{\externalfigure[picture.png]}
>

> \stoptext

just

\placefigure{}{\externalfigure[picture.png][width=2cm]}

> picture.png just gets inserted at its native size, rather than scaled to
> have the specified width. What am I doing wrong? (setting minwidth
> and/or maxwidth doesn't seem to work either)
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Mark

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl