* beta
@ 2009-03-30 16:40 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

i uploaded a beta ... this one matches the latest check-in of luatex

this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the cont-xp
code into th emain version now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2009-03-30 19:52 ` Aditya Mahajan
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-03-30 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i uploaded a beta ... this one matches the latest check-in of luatex
>
> this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the cont-xp code
> into th emain version now

Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said that
it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to work with xp.

A few weeks back Taco said that a lua based bib module is at least a few
months away
(http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090312.084338.8be52e4c.en.html).
Is that still the case? Without the bib module, I will not be able to use
MKIV in real projects, and would basically be stuck at the current beta.

Aditya

* New bib module (was: beta)
@ 2009-03-30 20:27   ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-30 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.03.2009 um 21:52 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the cont-
>> xp code into th emain version now
>
> Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said
> that it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to
> work with xp.

Will this new module also provide BibX support?

Wolfgang

* Re: beta
@ 2009-03-30 20:40   ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2009-03-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i uploaded a beta ... this one matches the latest check-in of luatex
>>
>> this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the
>> cont-xp code into th emain version now
>
> Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said
> that it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to work
> with xp.
>
> A few weeks back Taco said that a lua based bib module is at least a
> few months away
> (http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090312.084338.8be52e4c.en.html). Is
> that still the case? Without the bib module, I will not be able to use
> MKIV in real projects, and would basically be stuck at the current
> beta.

+1 (I'm currently wrapping up my dissertation using mkiv.)

That said, a lua version of the bib module would, of course, be welcome.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: beta
@ 2009-03-30 21:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-30 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i uploaded a beta ... this one matches the latest check-in of luatex
>>
>> this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the cont-xp
>> code into th emain version now
>
> Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said that
> it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to work with xp.
>
> A few weeks back Taco said that a lua based bib module is at least a few
> months away
> (http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090312.084338.8be52e4c.en.html).
> Is that still the case? Without the bib module, I will not be able to
> use MKIV in real projects, and would basically be stuck at the current
> beta.

hm, can you check what fails?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* New bib module (was: beta)
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-30 22:11   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-30 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.03.2009 um 21:52 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the cont-
>> xp code into th emain version now
>
> Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said
> that it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to
> work with xp.

Will this new module also provide BibX support?

Wolfgang

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-03-31  7:27     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-03-31  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 30.03.2009 um 21:52 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> this is also the last non-xp version as i'm going to merge the
>>> cont-xp code into th emain version now
>>
>> Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said
>> that it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to work
>> with xp.
>
> Will this new module also provide BibX support?

Perhaps ;)

On the input side, the new module will load bibliographies from disk
into an internal XML structure and then use lpath queries to fetch
bibliographic data. It will use separate loaders to do so, so in
the end, anything can be plugged in as long as it can be converted
to the internal structure.

I have not decided yet how to handle the output (layout) side.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: beta
@ 2009-03-31  7:35     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-03-31  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>> A few weeks back Taco said that a lua based bib module is at least a
>> few months away
>> (http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090312.084338.8be52e4c.en.html).
>> Is that still the case? Without the bib module, I will not be able to
>> use MKIV in real projects, and would basically be stuck at the current
>> beta.
>
> hm, can you check what fails?

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \alltoclevels

That is because the publication list is a <list> and it has to redefine
some of the internal filtering routines so you can say

  \placepublicationlist[criterium=]

There are two big bad macros. First, there is this redefinition
of \dosetfilterlevel  (that became needed after some point due to
changes in context).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%5
\def\patcheddosetfilterlevel#1#2% beware: this one is \let
  {\bgroup
   \ignoresectionconversion % this is vital for bib !
   \edef\askedlevel{#1}%
   \edef\askedfilter{#2}%
   \ifx\askedlevel\v!current
     \dosetcurrentlevel\askedlevel
   \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!previous
     \dosetpreviouslevel\askedlevel
   \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!all
     \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
   \else\ifx\askedlevel\v!text
     \global\chardef\alltoclevels\plusone
   \else
     \edef\byaskedlevel{\csname\??by\askedlevel\endcsname}%
     \ifx\byaskedlevel\v!text
       \dosettextlevel\askedlevel
     \else
       \dosetotherlevel\askedlevel
     \fi
   \fi\fi\fi\fi
   \ifx\askedfilter\empty \else
     \xdef\currentlevel
        {\currentlevel\sectionseparator\askedfilter}%
   \fi
   \egroup}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The second is this macro, which does the actual filtering:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\def\filllocalpublist%
  {\let\dosetfilterlevel\patcheddosetfilterlevel
   \dosettoclevel\??li{pubs}%
   \let\dosetfilterlevel\normaldosetfilterlevel
   \global\let\glocalpublist\empty
   \doloop
     {\doifdefinedelse
        {\r!cross cite-\jobname-\recurselevel}
        {\doifreferencefoundelse
           {cite-\jobname-\recurselevel}
           {\@EA\doifreglevelelse\@EA[\currentlocationreference]
              {\@EA\doglobal\@EA\addtocommalist\@EA
                {\currenttextreference}\glocalpublist}{}}
           {}}%
        {\exitloop}}%
    \let\localpublist\glocalpublist}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-03-31  7:40       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-31  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> Currently, the bib module does not work with cont-xp. Taco has said
>>> that it is easier to redo the bib module in lua than to get it to work
>>> with xp.
>> Will this new module also provide BibX support?
>
> Perhaps ;)
>
> On the input side, the new module will load bibliographies from disk
> into an internal XML structure and then use lpath queries to fetch
> bibliographic data. It will use separate loaders to do so, so in
> the end, anything can be plugged in as long as it can be converted
> to the internal structure.
>
> I have not decided yet how to handle the output (layout) side.

easiest is to use setups

\startxmlsetups bibtex:somename
   ... fetch this ...
   ... fetch that ...

and then have something

\setupbibtex[setups=bibtex:somename]

with someplace

\xmlsetup{\bibtexparameter{setups}}{#1}

etc etc

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2009-03-31  9:02       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-31  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> A few weeks back Taco said that a lua based bib module is at least a
>>> few months away
>>> (http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090312.084338.8be52e4c.en.html).
>>> Is that still the case? Without the bib module, I will not be able to
>>> use MKIV in real projects, and would basically be stuck at the current
>>> beta.
>> hm, can you check what fails?
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \alltoclevels

if someone prepares a small test set that shows the problem we can look
into it (and cook up a temp mkiv hack)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-03-31 10:25       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-31 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.03.2009 um 09:27 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

>> Will this new module also provide BibX support?
>
> Perhaps ;)
>
> On the input side, the new module will load bibliographies from disk
> into an internal XML structure and then use lpath queries to fetch
> bibliographic data. It will use separate loaders to do so, so in
> the end, anything can be plugged in as long as it can be converted
> to the internal structure.

Why not just a lua table to save the data?

Wolfgang

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-04-01  2:06         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2009-04-01  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 31.03.2009 um 09:27 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>
> >> Will this new module also provide BibX support?
> >
> > Perhaps ;)
> >
> > On the input side, the new module will load bibliographies from disk
> > into an internal XML structure and then use lpath queries to fetch
> > bibliographic data. It will use separate loaders to do so, so in
> > the end, anything can be plugged in as long as it can be converted
> > to the internal structure.
>
> Why not just a lua table to save the data?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. This is typically how the various CSL
implementations work; parse the input data (XML, RDF, BibTeX, etc.) into some
internal structure.

Bruce

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-04-01  6:20           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-04-01  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

>>> Perhaps ;)
>>>
>>> On the input side, the new module will load bibliographies from disk
>>> into an internal XML structure and then use lpath queries to fetch
>>> bibliographic data. It will use separate loaders to do so, so in
>>> the end, anything can be plugged in as long as it can be converted
>>> to the internal structure.
>> Why not just a lua table to save the data?
>
> Yes, I was wondering the same thing. This is typically how the various CSL
> implementations work; parse the input data (XML, RDF, BibTeX, etc.) into some
> internal structure.

I was't clear enough. "internal XML structure" actually is a lua
table structure. It just follows a bunch of special rules that
make lpath queries work.

Best wisehes,
Taco

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-04-01  7:39           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-01  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

>>> Perhaps ;)
>>>
>>> On the input side, the new module will load bibliographies from disk
>>> into an internal XML structure and then use lpath queries to fetch
>>> bibliographic data. It will use separate loaders to do so, so in
>>> the end, anything can be plugged in as long as it can be converted
>>> to the internal structure.
>> Why not just a lua table to save the data?
>
> Yes, I was wondering the same thing. This is typically how the various CSL
> implementations work; parse the input data (XML, RDF, BibTeX, etc.) into some
> internal structure.

just because the xml subsystem has some nice filtering and fetching
built in (kind of xpath); internally the xml tree is of course a table,
so it's no big deal to directly build that table without having xml, but
ther ei sno need to invent yet another interface to such a datastructure

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New bib module
@ 2009-04-01 14:07             ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2009-04-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater <taco <at> elvenkind.com> writes:

> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> > Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> >> Why not just a lua table to save the data?
> >
> > Yes, I was wondering the same thing. This is typically how the various CSL
> > implementations work; parse the input data (XML, RDF, BibTeX, etc.) into some
> > internal structure.
>
> I was't clear enough. "internal XML structure" actually is a lua
> table structure. It just follows a bunch of special rules that
> make lpath queries work.

So it's a native Lua mapping of an XML model? E.g. something like, say, element
tree provides for Python?

Does that suggest that the input data is always XML?

Bruce

PS - Frank Bennett has been doing a lot of promising work on a rewrite of
Zotero's javscript-based CSL processor:
<http://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xbiblio/citeproc-js/trunk/>.