* Problems with columns and grid
@ 2013-06-03 18:30 Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2013-06-03 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

Hello list,

in the following minimal working example (using Mark IV), the \column
command is ignored. It works if the grid is disabled or balance=no is
set. I need the grid, and regarding the balance: without balance, the
columns use the whole type area height, but I want additional text to
appear underneath the columns. The height parameter doesn't seem to
control the columns' height. So my question is: How can I make \column to
work or how can I at least set the column height as a workaround?

\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\starttext
\startcolumns%[balance=no]
left
\column
right 1\\right 2
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

Kind regards,
Joshua

* Re: Problems with columns and grid
@ 2013-06-03 19:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-03 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.06.2013 um 20:30 schrieb Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com>:

> Hello list,
>
> in the following minimal working example (using Mark IV), the \column
> command is ignored. It works if the grid is disabled or balance=no is
> set. I need the grid, and regarding the balance: without balance, the
> columns use the whole type area height, but I want additional text to
> appear underneath the columns. The height parameter doesn't seem to
> control the columns' height. So my question is: How can I make \column to
> work or how can I at least set the column height as a workaround?
>
> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
> \starttext
> \startcolumns%[balance=no]
> left
> \column
> right 1\\right 2
> \stopcolumns
> \stoptext

Use mixed columns:

\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\starttext
\startmixedcolumns
left
\column
right 1\\right 2
\stopmixedcolumns
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Problems with columns and grid
@ 2013-06-03 19:45   ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2013-06-03 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 21:00:49 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster has written:
> Use mixed columns:
>
> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
> \starttext \startmixedcolumns left \column right 1\\right 2
> \stopmixedcolumns \stoptext

Thank you very much, this works!  Now I wonder what the difference
between regular and mixed columns is.  I have not found any information
about it; mixed columns aren't even mentioned in the manual.  Can you
tell me where to find a description?

I have an additional problem with columns:  If I set distance=
\baselineskip, it is bigger then \baselineskip.  Even with distance=0pt,
there is still a gap, maybe because of some minimum distance value.  How
can I get a smaller distance?

@ 2013-06-03 20:04     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.06.2013 um 21:45 schrieb Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 21:00:49 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster has written:
>> Use mixed columns:
>>
>> \setuplayout[grid=yes]
>> \starttext \startmixedcolumns left \column right 1\\right 2
>> \stopmixedcolumns \stoptext
>
> Thank you very much, this works!  Now I wonder what the difference
> between regular and mixed columns is.  I have not found any information
> about it; mixed columns aren't even mentioned in the manual.  Can you
> tell me where to find a description?

Mixed columns are a rewrite of the old columns mechanism.

It would ha been possible to use the new code for \startcolumns
but Hans restrained himself from doing this because the new code
produces a different output and ou have to force the new mechanism
with \startmixedcolumns to use it.

A advantage of the new environment is that you can use
it in \startframedtext (with a few restrictions) where the old mechanism
has failed.

> I have an additional problem with columns:  If I set distance=
> \baselineskip, it is bigger then \baselineskip.  Even with distance=0pt,
> there is still a gap, maybe because of some minimum distance value.  How
> can I get a smaller distance?

Do you have a example because there isn’t an space between the columns
when you use “distance=0pt”.

\starttext
\startmixedcolumns[distance=0pt,separator=rule]
\dorecurse{1000}{i }
\stopmixedcolumns
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Problems with columns and grid
@ 2013-06-03 20:34       ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2013-06-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:04:36 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster has written:

> Mixed columns are a rewrite of the old columns mechanism.
> [...]
Thanks for the explanation, I will from now on use mixedcolumns instead
of the old column commands.

> Do you have a example because there isn’t an space between the columns
> when you use “distance=0pt”.
Your example works, it only doesn't work with the old \startcolumn.
After having changed everything to mixed columns everything is fine now.
Thanks again.

@ 2013-06-03 22:35         ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2013-06-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

One other problem has appeared:  \startmixedcolumns[align=right] doesn't
work (align=... works with \startcolumns).  How can I change the
alignment?

@ 2013-06-04  2:57           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-04  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.06.2013 um 00:35 schrieb Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com>:

> One other problem has appeared:  \startmixedcolumns[align=right] doesn't
> work (align=... works with \startcolumns).  How can I change the
> alignment?

The mixedcolumns doesn’t have a option for this yet but (tolerance and blank
options are missing as well) but they can be added.

In the meantime you can add \setupalign[flushleft] at the begin of the environment.

Wolfgang