From: Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: \triangledown placed too low in Palatino
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:13:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

The \triangle operator is used for instance in the « symmetric difference » of two subsets: if $E$ is a set and $A \subset E$, and $B \susbet E$, then one defines
\startformula
A \triangle B := (A \cup B) \setminus (A \cap B).
\stopformula
Then the mapping $(A,B) \mapsto A \triangle B$ is a commutative, associative binary operator on the subsets of $E$.

Some people use instead $A \Delta B$, but this is not the traditional, nor the correct way, to write this « symmetric difference » of two sets. This is why, I guess, in TeX \triangle is an operator.
I have seen also \triangledown as an operator, but I don’t recall the context in which it was used…

Regarding the notation \nabla to denote the gradient, and \Delta, to denote the Laplace operator (which by the way can be defined as $\Delta u := \nabla \cdot (\nabla u)$), Mikael Sundqvist gave the correct observations.

Best regards: OK