* Issue with text running into footnotes
@ 2019-11-04 19:30 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-11-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have a lecture note in which a few footnotes are given, but in some cases the text runs into the footnote, and it has been impossible for me to exhibit a minimal example where the issue appears. In the link
	https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9h0j6i21emyw2v/footnote-issue.pdf?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9h0j6i21emyw2v/footnote-issue.pdf?dl=0>
the issue is shown in the real case. If I remove a few lines of text before the last paragraph on th tepage shown in the above link, the issue disappears, but of course this is not a solution.

I am aware that overuse of footnotes is not recommended, but in my lecture notes I have very few of them.
Is there a way to prevent such conflicts between footnotes and the last lines of text on a page?

Many thanks in advance: OK

* Re: Issue with text running into footnotes
@ 2019-11-04 20:49 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-11-04 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian schrieb am 04.11.2019 um 20:30:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a lecture note in which a few footnotes are given, but in some
> cases the text runs into the footnote, and it has been impossible for
> me to exhibit a minimal example where the issue appears. In the link
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9h0j6i21emyw2v/footnote-issue.pdf?dl=0
> the issue is shown in the real case. If I remove a few lines of text
> before the last paragraph on th tepage shown in the above link, the
> issue disappears, but of course this is not a solution.
>
> I am aware that overuse of footnotes is not recommended, but in my
> lecture notes I have very few of them.
> Is there a way to prevent such conflicts between footnotes and the
> last lines of text on a page?

You can increase the vertical tolerance, e.g.

     \setuptolerance[vertical,verytolerant]

change the penalty settings or use a bigger whitespace between the
paragraphs.

Wolfgang

* Re: Issue with text running into footnotes
@ 2019-11-09 10:04   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2019-11-09 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Otared Kavian schrieb am 04.11.2019 um 20:30:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a lecture note in which a few footnotes are given, but in some
>> cases the text runs into the footnote, and it has been impossible for
>> me to exhibit a minimal example where the issue appears. In the link
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9h0j6i21emyw2v/footnote-issue.pdf?dl=0
>> the issue is shown in the real case.
>> [...]
>
> You can increase the vertical tolerance, e.g.
>
>     \setuptolerance[vertical,verytolerant]

Hi Wolfgang,

I have a much worse sample (text runs totally into foonote space as
there were no footnotes).

Setting tolerance makes no difference, setting a higher spacebefore or
before makes no difference.

Hi Otared,

I wonder whether you could fix your problem.

> change the penalty settings or use a bigger whitespace between the
> paragraphs.

Which would be those penalty settings?

Sorry, but I don’t understand why ConTeXt has this kind of problems with
notes. Why is so difficult to keep the space before notes?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Issue with text running into footnotes
@ 2019-11-09 17:22     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-11-09 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

By setting

\setupwhitespace[big]

the specific issue could be solved, but then the number of pages became too big as a consequence.
However, cutting the text into one more paragraph, without changing the whitespace, solved the issue of the text running into the footnote.

I don't know how to setup a different penalty, nor what would be its influence in some other parts of my text.

Best regards: OK

@ 2019-11-09 20:55       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2019-11-09 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/9/19 6:22 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> By setting
>
> \setupwhitespace[big]
>
> the specific issue could be solved, but then the number of pages became too big as a consequence.
> However, cutting the text into one more paragraph, without changing the whitespace, solved the issue of the text running into the footnote.

Hi Otared,

I’m afraid that I have to add two more paragraphs to get rid of text
running into the footnote space.

But notes are my most problematic field in ConTeXt (I hate to admit).

Many thanks for your reply,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk