* font switching commands
@ 2019-07-18 23:45 Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-18 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all
"Manuals-ConTeXt wiki" provides us very important and useful
information and we find cont-eni.pdf in "overview".  In the manual,
font switching commands \vi, \vii, \viii, \ix, \x, \xi, \xii are
explained in p.113 but it seems they don't work except \vi and \xi.
From my simple test with ConTeXt, \xi produces a greek letter "ξ"
as in traditional TeX and \vi seems to do nothing.
Is the above explanation obsolete or is additional setup necessary?
I'd like to know what is the real situation of these commands.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

* Re: font switching commands
@ 2019-07-18 23:56 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-07-18 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 19/07/19 11:45 AM, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> Hi all
> "Manuals-ConTeXt wiki" provides us very important and useful
> information and we find cont-eni.pdf in "overview".  In the manual,
> font switching commands \vi, \vii, \viii, \ix, \x, \xi, \xii are
> explained in p.113 but it seems they don't work except \vi and \xi.
> From my simple test with ConTeXt, \xi produces a greek letter "ξ"
> as in traditional TeX and \vi seems to do nothing.

This manual is for MKII (it is dated 2001).  The new font size switches
are \tfa, \tfb, \tfc, and so on (or \bfa for bold etc.).  Generally, you
want to use them very sparingly and only in setup code.  Your document
content should not contain any explicit size switches.

Cheers, Henri

> Is the above explanation obsolete or is additional setup necessary?
> I'd like to know what is the real situation of these commands.
> Thanks in advance.
> Best regards,
> Atsuhito Kohda

* Re: font switching commands
@ 2019-07-19 12:06   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-07-19 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henri Menke schrieb am 19.07.2019 um 01:56:
> On 19/07/19 11:45 AM, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
>> Hi all
>> "Manuals-ConTeXt wiki" provides us very important and useful
>> information and we find cont-eni.pdf in "overview".  In the manual,
>> font switching commands \vi, \vii, \viii, \ix, \x, \xi, \xii are
>> explained in p.113 but it seems they don't work except \vi and \xi.
>>  From my simple test with ConTeXt, \xi produces a greek letter "ξ"
>> as in traditional TeX and \vi seems to do nothing.
> This manual is for MKII (it is dated 2001).  The new font size switches
> are \tfa, \tfb, \tfc, and so on (or \bfa for bold etc.).  Generally, you
> want to use them very sparingly and only in setup code.  Your document
> content should not contain any explicit size switches.
\vi, \ix etc. and \tfa, \tfx etc. are two different types of font switches.

The no longer available commands \vi etc. change the global size and one
could replace them with \switchtobodyfont[6pt]. The other switches are local
changes of the font size which produce smaller or larger which depends on
the global size.

Wolfgang

* Re: font switching commands
@ 2019-07-19 23:18   ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-19 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Henri, thanks for your clarification.

2019年7月19日(金) 8:57 Henri Menke:
> This manual is for MKII (it is dated 2001).  The new font size switches
> are \tfa, \tfb, \tfc, and so on (or \bfa for bold etc.).

OK, so now they are obsolete already.
I've found \tfa etc. before the post because they were explained
in the next page p.114 of cont-eni.pdf

Then I'd like to know what is \vi ?  I defined \vi personally
in my tex file and when I compiled it with context, then I got
a message "command '\vi' is already defined" so I began to search
\vi command.  This is the origin of my question.

Best regards
Atsuhito Kohda

* Re: font switching commands
@ 2019-07-19 23:36     ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-19 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang, thanks for your information.

It is a bit difficult for me to understand the difference among
\switchtobodyfont,
\vii etc. and \tfa etc. with the explanation of cont-eni.pdf precisely and
unfortunately
\vii etc. are no more available.
Thanks again.

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

* Re: font switching commands
@ 2019-07-21  8:50       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-07-21  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Atsuhito Kohda schrieb am 20.07.2019 um 01:36:
> Hi Wolfgang, thanks for your information.
>
> It is a bit difficult for me to understand the difference among
> \switchtobodyfont,
> \vii etc. and \tfa etc. with the explanation of cont-eni.pdf precisely
> and unfortunately
> \vii etc. are no more available.
> Thanks again.

In the example below I make a global change of the font size at the begin
with \setupbodyfont which changes the size of the running text (and also
of the header and footer texts) to 10pt.

With the \tfa and \tfx commands bigger and smaller text but the size of it
depends on the global size. The default scaling for \tfa is 1.2 and for \tfx
is 0.8, this means \tfa results in 12pt and \tfx in 8pt.

In the next line I change the global font size with the \switchtobodyfont
command to 14.4pt. The difference between \setupbodyfont and
\switchtobodyfont is that \setupodyfont changes the header and footer
while \switchtobodyfont doesn't.

Now I use again the \tfa and \tfx commands to change the font size which
use again the scaling factors mentioned above but here they use the new
global size of 14.4pt which result in 17.28pt for \tfa and 11.52pt for \tfx
(the actual size for \tfx is 12pt because ConTeXt uses fixed sizes for
a global font size of 8pt, 9pt, ..., 12pt, 14.4pt which presets for the
smaller
and larger sizes).

The \vi, \ix etc. commands you mentioned are just shortcuts for
\switchtobodyfont[6pt], \switchtobodyfont[9pt] etc. and have been removed.

%%%% begin example
\setupbodyfont[10pt]

\starttext

text {\tfa text} {\tfx text}