* maybe OT? ConTeXt on an EEEPC
@ 2008-04-19  9:42 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear all,

maybe this is off-topic, but I just wanted to tell you about my
experiences (and sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, it isn't!).
Since I have a fairly long commute to work, I spend a lot of time on
the train and like/need to do serious work there. When you have to
schlepp it almost every day, a normal laptop seems pretty heavy after
a while, that's why I got me one of those eeepc thingies. Its tiny
screen and small keyboard scream "I'm just a mobile device, not a
replacement for a real computer," and it's not the fastest machine
around. However, my joy is great whenever I stuff the little thing in
my bag and lift it.

I got the 8GB variant. To do work, I always want all my documents with
me (so I can easily sync my entire Documents directory between work,
home, and laptop) and, of course, my TeX installation. My texlive-
texmf tree now is 1.6 G, so I needed a bit more space than the 4G
model offers (models with larger screens and hard disks will be
available soonish). It has a SDHC card reader, so I copied my
Documents and the TeX installation to the internal disk (a SSD) and
have my linux installation on a card from which I boot. With a shell
script, I set the $PATH so I can mount the internal disk and run
ConTeXt off of it. Everything works wonderfully. As I said, it's a
slow machine, so you don't want to compile very long documents too
often, but it does run every flavor of ConTeXt. I often prepare my
presentations on the train, and this works great: I have the
environment to which I'm used for editing the source files (emacs +
ConTeXt) and a pdf viewer open in another workspace. This setup is one
of the reasons why I prefer a texlive installation to a minimal
ConTeXt tree: that way, I have to maintain it only once and can sync
it between my computers. So whoever has to travel a lot: I find it
wonderful to have such a small and light computer on the road.

All best, have a nice weekend

Thomas