* Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-15 18:52 John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2008-07-15 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

Is there a way to automatically "highlight changes" to a document,
such that the resulting PDF has markers showing changed areas? Bars in
the margin or some such. Or more generally some other way to easily
communicate what has been changed (other than a diff on the source).

--

John Devereux

* Re: Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-15 19:55 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-07-15 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 15 2008, John Devereux wrote:

> Is there a way to automatically "highlight changes" to a document,
> such that the resulting PDF has markers showing changed areas? Bars in
> the margin or some such. Or more generally some other way to easily
> communicate what has been changed (other than a diff on the source).

I'm sorry, this _is_ a diff on the source:

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060806.143457.47021821.en.html

But the result can be quite nice.

I've also a module, that makes a table to communicate some changes to the
reader. It's attached. Typeset it with "texexec --mode=demo t-changes".

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

[-- Attachment #2: t-changes.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 1686 bytes --]

\ifx \iere  \undefined \def\iere  {\highordinalstr{re}}  \fi
\def\In[#1,#2]{\doifsomething{#1}{\in[#1]}\if\relax#2\else, \In[#2]\fi}
\enableregime[utf]

\unprotect
\newcount\RevC
\def\Changes[#1]{%
  \getgparameters[Changes@][date=, labels=, #1]% modif, labels, date
  \doifundefined{Changes@modif}{\gdef\Changes@modif{%
	  \translate[fr=1\iere\ version,en=First version,de=Erste Version]}}%
  \global\advance\RevC by 1 \bTR
  \expanded{\bTD \the\RevC \eTD}%
  \expanded{\bTD \Changes@date \eTD}\expanded{\bTD \Changes@modif \eTD}%
  \expandafter\bTD \expandafter\In\expandafter[\Changes@labels,\relax]\eTD
  \eTR}

\def\startChanges{%
  \bTABLE[option=stretch, textwidth=\textwidth]
  \bTR[background=screen]
  \bTD \translate[fr=Rév, en=Rev, de=Rev].\eTD
  \bTD \translate[fr=Date, en=Date, de=Datum]\eTD
  \bTD \translate[fr=Origine de la mise à jour, en=Reason for update,
    de=Grund der Änderung]\eTD
  \bTD \translate[fr=§ modifié, en=modified §, de=mod. §en]\eTD\eTR}
\def\stopChanges{\eTABLE}

\protect

\doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%D Usage example:

\usemodule[changes]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\title{The big title}

\startChanges
\Changes[date=1.1.2001]
\Changes[date=2.2.2002, labels=sec:a, modif=Added text from Tufte]
\Changes[date=3.3.2003, labels=sec:b, modif=Added text from Knuth]
\Changes[date=4.4.2004, labels={sec:a,sec:b}, modif=Added even more text]
\stopChanges

\subject{Contents}
\placecontent

\section[sec:a]{First section}
\input tufte
more text

\section[sec:b]{Second section}
\input knuth
more text
\stoptext

* Re: Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-16  9:25 ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-07-16  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/7/15 John Devereux <jdREMOVE@thisdevereux.me.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to automatically "highlight changes" to a document,
> such that the resulting PDF has markers showing changed areas? Bars in
> the margin or some such. Or more generally some other way to easily
> communicate what has been changed (other than a diff on the source).

In the same idear, i realy miss something to highlight the « overfull hbox »

Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* overfull hbox (was: Re:  Highlight changes)
@ 2008-07-16 10:49   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-07-16 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 16 2008, Olivier Guéry wrote:

> In the same idear, i realy miss something to highlight the « overfull hbox »

\version[temporary]
\starttext
\hsize1pt
abcd
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: overfull hbox (was: Re:  Highlight changes)
@ 2008-07-16 13:11     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-16 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16 2008, Olivier Guéry wrote:
>
>> In the same idear, i realy miss something to highlight the « overfull hbox »
>
> \version[temporary]
> \starttext
> \hsize1pt
> abcd
> \stoptext

Sometimes, you do not want \version[temporary]. In those cases, I usually
use

\overfullrule5\points

This can also be incorporated in the \version command,

\unprotect
\def\doversion[#1]%
   {\chardef\conceptmode\zerocount
    \overfullrule\zeropoint
    \processaction % \v!final=>
      [#1]
      [  \v!concept=>\chardef\conceptmode\plusone,  % simple banner
            \v!file=>\chardef\conceptmode\plustwo,  % full banner
       \v!temporary=>\chardef\conceptmode\plusthree % full banner plus
                     \overfullrule5\points,         % info in the margin
              draft=>%\chardef\conceptmode\plusfour
                     \overfullrule5\points]}

\protect

and then one can use \version[draft].

Aditya

* Re: overfull hbox (was: Re: Highlight changes)
@ 2008-07-16 13:15       ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-07-16 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank's both of you.
Exactly what I was looking for.

Olivier.

--

@ 2008-07-18 20:51   ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2008-07-18 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 15 2008, John Devereux wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to automatically "highlight changes" to a document,
>> such that the resulting PDF has markers showing changed areas? Bars in
>> the margin or some such. Or more generally some other way to easily
>> communicate what has been changed (other than a diff on the source).
>
> I'm sorry, this _is_ a diff on the source:
>
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060806.143457.47021821.en.html
>
> But the result can be quite nice.

Thanks, but this (your shell script) did not work well for me - there
seem to be too many cases where the diff produces invalid tex
code. Did you ever make an extended one?

> I've also a module, that makes a table to communicate some changes to the
> reader. It's attached. Typeset it with "texexec --mode=demo t-changes".

OK, thanks!

--

John Devereux

* Re: Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-19 15:52     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-07-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18 2008, John Devereux wrote:

> Thanks, but this (your shell script) did not work well for me - there
> seem to be too many cases where the diff produces invalid tex
> code. Did you ever make an extended one?

Yes. It's attached.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

[-- Attachment #2: typeset-diff.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-shellscript, Size: 576 bytes --]

* Re: Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-19 17:54       ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2008-07-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 18 2008, John Devereux wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but this (your shell script) did not work well for me - there
>> seem to be too many cases where the diff produces invalid tex
>> code. Did you ever make an extended one?
>
> Yes. It's attached.
> Cheers, Peter

Thanks.

I am still finding errors in the result. Some of these are due to lines
"commented out" with a leading "%" sign. In others parameter bracket
nesting seems messed up.

I will play with it some more.

--

John Devereux

* Re: Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-19 18:40         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-07-19 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jul 19 2008, John Devereux wrote:

> I am still finding errors in the result. Some of these are due to lines
> "commented out" with a leading "%" sign. In others parameter bracket
> nesting seems messed up.

That's why there are these 2 lines:

echo Starting editor, so you can manually improve the ConTeXt source.
$EDITOR "$OUT.tex"

In the normal case, you have to adjust only a few problems by hand.

If you comment out normal text, because actually you want to delete it, but
you don't really want to lose it forever, then consider using a version
control system (subversion for example).

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Highlight changes
@ 2008-07-20  8:30           ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2008-07-20  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 19 2008, John Devereux wrote:
>
>> I am still finding errors in the result. Some of these are due to lines
>> "commented out" with a leading "%" sign. In others parameter bracket
>> nesting seems messed up.
>
> That's why there are these 2 lines:
>
> echo Starting editor, so you can manually improve the ConTeXt source.
> $EDITOR "$OUT.tex"
>
> In the normal case, you have to adjust only a few problems by hand.

OK, I will give it a go...

> If you comment out normal text, because actually you want to delete it, but
> you don't really want to lose it forever, then consider using a version
> control system (subversion for example).

Good point and I am already doing that anyway. The other reason is to
quickly enable or disable something.

Thanks,

--

John Devereux