From: Carlos via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Carlos <linguafalsa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: registered function call [1160]:...live/2023/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/mkiv/l-sandbox.lua:87: cannot open /.: Permission denied - Alpine Linux
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 05:28:28 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun, Apr 02, 2023 at 10:41:53AM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 4/1/2023 11:21 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> > > Font loading and processing time can be mosty neglected so these 16 seconds
> > > come from something else, maybe there are ways to trace file access. Another
> > > possibility is that your fonts are not cached in which case every run will
> > > involve parsing the otf / ttf and producing whatever resources needed
> > > (normally cached).
> >
> > interesting. Earlier as the output was showing
> >
> > > mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns: en::1, load time: 0.000
> > > mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 4 files: lucidabrightregular.otf, lucidasansregular.otf, latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman10-regular.otf
> >
> > you asked
> >
> > > so why not use lucida math fonts?
> >
> > which is a valid question but nevertheless unsettling in that lmodern-regular may nat have been called out. I fully understand the inclusion of a latinmodern-math in it as a lucidamath was not previously available but I ponder at the idea and involuntary implementation  of having lmroman along the pack. Why? If this is TeX doings, or misdoings (depending how one looks at it), it clearly shows to me that TeX also restricts my freedom to use whatever font I may deem necessary. Don't you think? You can probably disagree with me here, or anyone from the TeX community can, but the roman last was imposed deliberately upon. Someoe may also give a lengthy explanation but that would be just hogwash in thee very end .
>
> The fact that a file is loaded doesn't mean that it is used. In fact there
> is some fallback loading going on because explaining when nothing gets
> typeset or why \nullfont is used which results in missing chars messages is
> a waste of time.
>
> It has nothing to do with restrictions: tex will load any font you want it.
> But for instance when you turn on some tracing the macro package can load a
> font it needs. Indirectly you get what you ask for.

You're right about that. My mistake. Somehow monospaced had been previously defined and I hadn't even noticed it .

I think I got it (sort of) figured for what I want it so far.

The latest stats are

mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 5 files: latinmodern-math.otf, lucidabrightdemiitalic.otf, lucidabrightitalic.otf, lucidabrightregular.otf, lucidasansregular.otf
mkiv lua stats  > font engine: otf 3.133, afm 1.513, tfm 1.000, 17 instances, 10 shared in backend, 3 common vectors, 7 common hashes, load time 0.413 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > math tweaking time: 0.162 seconds, 24 math goodie tables

which is pretty much what I was looking for, except the math font issue. Thank you!

While I was trying to play with it a bit, I noticed a problem with the tfb and tfc resizing  in math mode

The only mention of anything similar happened back in 2009 (but then again this was with mkii). There may be more similar issues in the list. I just didn't have the time to look for it.

https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg40224.html

But anyhow, the following did the trick , which I found it convenient really. But I don't use math mode, although someone else might, it's intuitive, and does the job

\startmidaligned
$\tfc a + \overbracket{b + c} + \underbracket{d + e} + \doublebracket{f + g} + h$
\stopmidaligned

\startformula
	\int_{\infty}
\stopformula

> I bet you didn't explicitly ask for e.g. english hyphentation patterns
> either but still got them, but tex will happily let you use polish ones
> instead.
>
> Of course the best remedy against any automatism is to just start with
> initex and implement from scratch.
>
> In the above case: just add \type {foo} and you might see another font you
> didn't ask for / set up.

> > > These fonts are small (only huge cjk fonts with tens of thousands of glyphs
> > > or fonts with hundreds of accumulated features might have some impact but
> > > even then not in the final embedding stage).
> >
> > Yeah. I guess.
> >
> > I can also have
> >
> > mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns: en::1, load time: 0.000
> > mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 3 files: lucidabrightmathsymbol.ttf, lucidanewmathitalic.ttf, lucidabrightregular.otf
> > mkiv lua stats  > font engine: otf 3.133, afm 1.513, tfm 1.000, 6 instances, 3 shared in backend, 1 common vectors, 2 common hashes, load time 16.723 seconds
> >
> > but that loading time gets back at me as the culprit sweet reminder of not using cmr then.
>
> i won't comment because (i verified) that lucidabrightmathsymbol.ttf and
> lucidanewmathitalic.ttf are illegal copies (if created on someones machine
> from the typeone its all up to that user).
>  Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Remember the good old days, when CPU was singular?