* Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-25 17:23 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-10-25 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am creating an e-book following the example program d-en-all.tex as
found on the Context site. I have a question about the "exit" button.
This button shuts down the current document but leaves Acrobat Reader
still up and running. If the user is in full screen mode he has to do
an <alt><esc> to get back to normal mode (from fullscreen) and then
exit the Acrobat Reader using a menu. I am looking for a technique
that would exit everythig when the user pushes the "exit" button.

Here are some pertinent snippets from my file:
---------------------------------
\setupinteractionmenu
  [right]
  [background=color,
   backgroundcolor=LightGray,
   frame=off,
   state=start]

\startinteractionmenu[right]
  \but [content]       contents \\
  \but [NextPage]      next   \\
  \but [PreviousPage]  previous \\
  \but [sample]        sample   \\
  \but [PreviousJump]  back     \\
  \but [CloseDocument] exit     \\
  \vfill
\stopinteractionmenu
----------------------------------

And another question:

Some of the pdf examples on the Context site automatically open in
full screen mode. How is this accomplished?
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers

* Re: Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-25 19:40 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello John,

> And another question:
>
> Some of the pdf examples on the Context site automatically open in
> full screen mode. How is this accomplished?

\doPDFaddtocatalog{/PageMode\space/FullScreen}

I wonder if there is a high level command for it (\setupinteraction...)

Patrick

--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: Re: Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-25 20:06   ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2003-10-25 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I wonder if there is a high level command for it (\setupinteraction...)

\setupinteractionscreen
  [option=max]

should work.

Wang

* Re: Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-25 20:24     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

>> I wonder if there is a high level command for it (\setupinteraction...)
>
> \setupinteractionscreen
>   [option=max]
>
> should work.

I was looking at it for a few times this afternoon. But I wonder why
I didn't think of this solution? Thanks.

Patrick

--

@ 2003-10-26  3:05     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-10-26  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday 25 October 2003 16:06, Lei Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I wonder if there is a high level command for it
> > (\setupinteraction...)
>
> \setupinteractionscreen
>   [option=max]
>
> should work.

Yes it does, and when I hit the "exit" button the pdf file is erased
and Acrobat Reader goes back into its normal mode.  I still would
like the "exit" button to kill both the pdf file and the Acrobat
Reader. Is that possible?

BTW thanks to Wang for his elegant and simple answer. Now I am half
way home.
--

@ 2003-10-26  6:26       ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2003-10-26  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes it does, and when I hit the "exit" button the pdf file is erased
> and Acrobat Reader goes back into its normal mode.  I still would
> like the "exit" button to kill both the pdf file and the Acrobat
> Reader. Is that possible?

You can try

\but [ExitViewer] exit

instead of

\but[CloseDocument] exit

Wang

* Re: Re: Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-27 21:23         ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-10-27 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 26 October 2003 01:26, Lei Wang wrote:
> > Yes it does, and when I hit the "exit" button the pdf file is
> > erased and Acrobat Reader goes back into its normal mode.  I
> > still would like the "exit" button to kill both the pdf file and
> > the Acrobat Reader. Is that possible?
>
> You can try
>
> \but [ExitViewer] exit
>
> instead of
>
> \but[CloseDocument] exit
>
> Wang

That works just fine!

Thanks for your hint. There is an anomaly if I call Acrobat Reader
from within Gvim session but if I just call Acrobat
reader from a button or a command line everything works perfectly.
--

@ 2003-10-28  1:44           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-28  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Thanks for your hint. There is an anomaly if I call Acrobat Reader
> from within Gvim session but if I just call Acrobat
> reader from a button or a command line everything works perfectly.

what version of the Acrobat Reader are you using and what OS? I can't
make it work here. Perhaps the MacOS X Acroread does not support
this. "Don't you dare to quit Acrobat Reader" :)

Patrick

--

@ 2003-10-28 17:58             ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-10-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 27 October 2003 20:44, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Thanks for your hint. There is an anomaly if I call Acrobat
> > Reader from within Gvim session but if I just call Acrobat
> > reader from a button or a command line everything works
> > perfectly.

Just FYI the anomaly is that the full screen window is offset down and
to the right, and with no title bar to latch on to it is hard to move
the window  back to where it belongs.

> what version of the Acrobat Reader are you using and what OS? I
> can't make it work here. Perhaps the MacOS X Acroread does not
> support this. "Don't you dare to quit Acrobat Reader" :)
>
> Patrick

Well, it works on the same pdf file in two locations: on Linux using
Acrobat Reader 5.05, and on Win 98 SE using Acrobat Reader 5.1.

I guess I will have to ask some kind soul who has a newer Windows to
test the function  for me on Acrobat Reader 6x. Any volunteers?

Windows users are in the vast majority and hence the target market for
the e-book I am crafting.

(sidebar)
I tried to download Acrobat Reader 6.0 to the Win 98SE partition, but
then it said I needed to upgrade Internet Explorer and that got into
an endless loop and.... (I don't use Windows much!)

 So I downloaded Acrobat Reader 5.1 for Windows 98 via Linux (!) and
moved it over to the Desktop folder on the Win partition. It works
fine.
(end sidebar)
--

@ 2003-10-29  5:19               ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2003-10-29  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John, Hi all,

John Culleton schrieb:
> On Monday 27 October 2003 20:44, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>

>>>Thanks for your hint. There is an anomaly if I call Acrobat
>>>Reader from within Gvim session but if I just call Acrobat
>>>reader from a button or a command line everything works
>>>perfectly.
>>
> Just FYI the anomaly is that the full screen window is offset down and
> to the right, and with no title bar to latch on to it is hard to move
> the window  back to where it belongs.
>

>>what version of the Acrobat Reader are you using and what OS? I
>>can't make it work here. Perhaps the MacOS X Acroread does not
>>support this. "Don't you dare to quit Acrobat Reader" :)
>>
>>Patrick
>

> Well, it works on the same pdf file in two locations: on Linux using
> Acrobat Reader 5.05, and on Win 98 SE using Acrobat Reader 5.1.
>
> I guess I will have to ask some kind soul who has a newer Windows to
> test the function  for me on Acrobat Reader 6x. Any volunteers?

On my WinXP [ExitViewer] works on the Acrobat Reader 5.x but not
on 6.0.
I can do further tests for you. I can test on NT4, 2K and XP.

> Windows users are in the vast majority and hence the target market for
> the e-book I am crafting.
>

> I tried to download Acrobat Reader 6.0 to the Win 98SE partition, but
> then it said I needed to upgrade Internet Explorer and that got into
> an endless loop and.... (I don't use Windows much!)

There is a Download Option called "Do not use Adobe Download Manager."
If checked, you download the full Windows Installer, not the one
that needs the Internet Explorer.

>  So I downloaded Acrobat Reader 5.1 for Windows 98 via Linux (!) and
> moved it over to the Desktop folder on the Win partition. It works
> fine.

Greetings Lutz

* Re: Re: Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-29 17:54                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-29 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:19 29/10/2003, you wrote:
>Hi John, Hi all,
>
>John Culleton schrieb:
>>On Monday 27 October 2003 20:44, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,

>>Just FYI the anomaly is that the full screen window is offset down and to
>>the right, and with no title bar to latch on to it is hard to move the
>>window  back to where it belongs.
>>
>>>what version of the Acrobat Reader are you using and what OS? I
>>>can't make it work here. Perhaps the MacOS X Acroread does not
>>>support this. "Don't you dare to quit Acrobat Reader" :)
>>>
>>>Patrick
>>
>>Well, it works on the same pdf file in two locations: on Linux using
>>Acrobat Reader 5.05, and on Win 98 SE using Acrobat Reader 5.1.
>>
>>I guess I will have to ask some kind soul who has a newer Windows to test
>>the function  for me on Acrobat Reader 6x. Any volunteers?
>
>On my WinXP [ExitViewer] works on the Acrobat Reader 5.x but not
>on 6.0.
>I can do further tests for you. I can test on NT4, 2K and XP.

\setupinteraction
   [state=start]

\starttext

\button{Exit}[ExitViewer]

\stoptext

this works on acrobat professional 6

Hans

* Re: Re: Shutting down Acrobat Reader.
@ 2003-10-29 18:23                   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-10-29 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 18:54 29.10.2003, Hans Hagen wrote:
>At 06:19 29/10/2003, you wrote:
>>Hi John, Hi all,
>>
>>John Culleton schrieb:

>>>Just FYI the anomaly is that the full screen window is offset down and
>>>to the right, and with no title bar to latch on to it is hard to move
>>>the window  back to where it belongs.

>>>Well, it works on the same pdf file in two locations: on Linux using
>>>Acrobat Reader 5.05, and on Win 98 SE using Acrobat Reader 5.1.
>>>
>>>I guess I will have to ask some kind soul who has a newer Windows to
>>>test the function  for me on Acrobat Reader 6x. Any volunteers?
>>
>>On my WinXP [ExitViewer] works on the Acrobat Reader 5.x but not
>>on 6.0.
>>I can do further tests for you. I can test on NT4, 2K and XP.
>
>\setupinteraction
>   [state=start]
>
>\starttext
>
>\button{Exit}[ExitViewer]
>
>\stoptext
>
>this works on acrobat professional 6

I tried the sample code in Acrobat Reader 6  version 6.0.0.19.05.2003
downloaded yesterday 28 october 2003.

Acrobat Reader does not exit, only the document is closed.

Willi