* ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
@ 2003-10-01 17:09 Gour
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Gour @ 2003-10-01 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Is there any user here using ConTeXt within Gentoo distribution?

I'm interested regarding the update process since there is no separate ebuild
for ConTeXt package, how do you keep pace with the rapid development.

Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
@ 2003-10-01 18:46 ` Tobias Burnus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-10-01 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:09:41PM +0200, Gour wrote:
> Is there any user here using ConTeXt within Gentoo distribution?
I use Debian/Woody and SuSE/8.2/9.0

> I'm interested regarding the update process since there is no separate ebuild
> for ConTeXt package, how do you keep pace with the rapid development.

I do 'mkdir $HOME/temx; cd $HOME/texmf; unzip -La /tmp/cont-tmf.zip;
      texhash; mkdir web2c;
      fmtutil --fmtdir web2c; --byhyphen fmtutil --showhyphen cont-en`;
      cd web2c; mpost -ini metafun;  pdfetex -ini mptopdf; texhash'

which should work if `kpsewhich texmf.cnf` sets HOMETEXMF accordingly.
TeXExec etc. should work since /usr/bin/texexec uses kpsewhich to find
the script.

> Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?
Well, it depends: teTeX is nicely installed while TeXLive is contains
some goodies and is more up to date (but never as up to date as the
cont-tmf.zip file ...)  -- I prefer teTeX, but this is a matter of
taste.

Tobias

* Re: ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
@ 2003-10-01 18:55 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-01 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Gour <gour@mail.inet.hr> writes:

> Is there any user here using ConTeXt within Gentoo distribution?

This is a question I can't answer. I use MacOS X. Don't know of any
gentoo users.

> I'm interested regarding the update process since there is no separate ebuild
> for ConTeXt package, how do you keep pace with the rapid
> development.

See my updated page http://levana.de/context/ esp. the section about
installing ConTeXt.

> Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?

It is a matter of taste. None is really better I'd say.

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
@ 2003-10-01 19:12 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-10-01 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 13:09, Gour wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there any user here using ConTeXt within Gentoo distribution?
>
> I'm interested regarding the update process since there is no separate
> ebuild for ConTeXt package, how do you keep pace with the rapid
> development.
>
> Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour
Gentoo is marvelous but it doesn't keep up with the fast moving targets such
as Context and Scribus. You will have to use a separate update the old
fashioned way.

IMHO of course.

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers

* Re: ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
@ 2003-10-02  8:26   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-10-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus (tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de) wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

> > Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?
> Well, it depends: teTeX is nicely installed while TeXLive is contains
> some goodies and is more up to date (but never as up to date as the
> cont-tmf.zip file ...)  -- I prefer teTeX, but this is a matter of
> taste.

What about the fonts included in TeXLive?

Are the same as teTeX?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr
Registered Linux User #278493

* Re: Re: ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
@ 2003-10-02  8:28   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-10-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach (pg@levana.de) wrote:

> See my updated page http://levana.de/context/ esp. the section about
> installing ConTeXt.

Thanks for the pointer.

> > Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?
>
> It is a matter of taste. None is really better I'd say.

Since teTeX is already in the distro, it is convenient to stay with it, if
possible.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2003-10-02  8:35   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-10-02  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton (john@wexfordpress.com) wrote:

> Gentoo is marvelous but it doesn't keep up with the fast moving targets such
> as Context and Scribus. You will have to use a separate update the old
> fashioned way.
Yes, indeed. I like Gentoo very much (after switching from SuSE), and it would
be nice to make ConTeXt ebuild for Gentoo. Probably it is not too complicated
since there is already Patrick's installcontext.sh script.

When I find some time, I'll try something, since anyway there are some
packages that don't have ebuilds and I need them.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr
Registered Linux User #278493

* Re: ConTeXt updates & Gentoo
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-02  9:40 ` Boris Tschirschwitz
From: Boris Tschirschwitz @ 2003-10-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes,

I am using ConTeXt with Gentoo. Alas, I am just using the ConTeXt version
that gets installed with tetex.
I once tried updating and ran into some strange problems where texexec
kept running, producing lots of processes.
I tried getting help from the list, but, when posting from GMANE,  I had
to jump through so many loops until my request got posted, that I already
"solved" the problem by reinstalling tetex.
Still, thanks for the replies I eventually got.

What's the easiest way of finding out what new features are available
after texexec 3.1?

Boris.

@ 2003-10-02 14:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-02 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:26 02/10/2003, you wrote:
>Tobias Burnus (tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de) wrote:
>
>Thank you for your reply.
>
> > > Is it better to switch to TeX Live instead of teTeX?
> > Well, it depends: teTeX is nicely installed while TeXLive is contains
> > some goodies and is more up to date (but never as up to date as the
> > cont-tmf.zip file ...)  -- I prefer teTeX, but this is a matter of
> > taste.
>
>What about the fonts included in TeXLive?

tex live has a bit more if i'm right; also tex live is multi platform

beware: utopia has been removed due to the fact that it's free but a
protected design

on the coming tex live cd/dvd it will be in a separate texmf tree (along
with fourier)

Hans