* \combinepages with negative distance
@ 2003-11-18 15:18 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-11-18 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have a A5 document (as PDF file) which should be nx=2,ny=1 placed on a
landscape A4 paper.
The problem is that I want to have more whitespace on the left side for
stapleing/punching which can easiest be done by letting the included
pages overlap. I tried distance=-4cm but it didn't work as expected.

Desired result:

+---+-------------+------------+
|   |  first a5 . | second a5  |
|   |           . |            |
|   |           . |            |
|   |           . |            |
+---+-------------+------------+
 |              ^^^ - included pages overlap
 | extra wide margin

I tried:
  \setuppapersize[a5,landscape][a4,landscape]
  \combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=on,distance=-4cm]

Tobias

* Re: \combinepages with negative distance
@ 2003-11-18 20:15 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-11-18 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Tobias

At 16:18 18.11.2003, Tobias wrote:
>  \setuppapersize[a5,landscape][a4,landscape]
>   \combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=on,distance=-4cm]

After some puzzeling I can come up with the following solution:

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
\setuplayout
   [header=0pt,
    footer=1cm,
    backspace=6cm,
    topspace=3cm]

\starttext
     \combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=on,distance=2cm]
\stoptext

i.e. basically the layout of the lnadscape A4 has to be done first. Here
you can reserve some space at the left margin. After \starttext, the pages
can be combined. The distance option does tell the distance between the two
pages.

I hope that this is what you are looking for.

Kind regards Willi

* Re: \combinepages with negative distance
@ 2003-11-18 21:38   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-11-18 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:15:07PM +0100, Willi Egger wrote:
> At 16:18 18.11.2003, Tobias wrote:
> > \setuppapersize[a5,landscape][a4,landscape]
> >  \combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=on,distance=-4cm]
> After some puzzeling I can come up with the following solution:
> \setuplayout
>   [header=0pt,
>    footer=1cm,
>    backspace=6cm,
>    topspace=3cm]
> \starttext
>     \combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=on,distance=2cm]
> \stoptext
Hmm, this shrinks the size of the included image, but I want to have
two full A5 pages with overlap a bit ("negative" distance between the
two included pages) thus I get more whitespace on one side (and loose
some whitespace in the middle where the two included pages meet).

Or in otherwords: I want to have this, but with distance=-1cm:

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppapersize[a4,landscape][a4,landscape]
\setuplayout
  [topspace=0.3cm,
   backspace=1cm,
   header=0pt,
   footer=0cm,
   leftedge=0pt,
   width=297mm,
   height=210mm]

\starttext
\combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=off,distance=0pt]\page
\combinepages[out.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=off,distance=0pt]
\stoptext

@ 2003-11-18 22:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-11-18 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:18 18/11/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a A5 document (as PDF file) which should be nx=2,ny=1 placed on a
>landscape A4 paper.
>The problem is that I want to have more whitespace on the left side for
>stapleing/punching which can easiest be done by letting the included
>pages overlap. I tried distance=-4cm but it didn't work as expected.
>
>Desired result:
>
>+---+-------------+------------+
>|   |  first a5 . | second a5  |
>|   |           . |            |
>|   |           . |            |
>|   |           . |            |
>+---+-------------+------------+
>  |              ^^^ - included pages overlap
>  | extra wide margin
>
>I tried:
>   \setuppapersize[a5,landscape][a4,landscape]
>   \combinepages[main.pdf][nx=2,ny=1,frame=on,distance=-4cm]

How about ...

\setuppapersize
   [A4,landscape]
   [A4,landscape]

\setuplayout
   [height=middle,width=middle,
    header=0pt,footer=0pt,
    topspace=1cm,
    cutspace=1cm,backspace=3cm]

\newcounter\DirtyTrickCounter

\startsetups[verydirtytrick]

   \doglobal\increment\DirtyTrickCounter

   \ifodd\DirtyTrickCounter
      \hbox to \overlaywidth{\hskip1cm\foregroundbox}
   \fi

\stopsetups

\defineoverlay
   [verydirtytrick]