* footnote marker
@ 2003-12-06 23:09 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-12-06 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

while desperately working on footnote markers I found this email from 9 months ago.
Is there in the meanwhile some news for a kind of "\setupfootnotemarker"?

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 04:12 PM 2/14/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Hmm...maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me these commands have no effect on
> >the in-text footnote marker; that they only apply to the footnote per se.
> >
> >OK, I found two private messages from Hans from awhile back on this,
> >before I got back to dealing with this.  The relevant parts are this:

> >>\definefont[ChapterTitleFont][Frutiger-Ultra-Black]
> >>
> >>\setuphead[chapter][style=ChapterTitleFont]
> >>
> >>so, that's not for typescripts but for styles
> >
> >And this:
> >
> >>I'm not sure about hwo to deal with the footnote font; probably composing
> >>a dedicate typeface is the best; of if it's only used for symbols, it
> >>should be just a def and mapped onto a symbol (symb-*.tex)
> >
> >So, if there was a command to set the footnote marker, I'd need to do a
> >\definefont for a special "FootnoteFont."
> >
> >However, there is no such command; right?  Seems like it might be useful.
> >
> >I don't really understand the above comment, or how I operationalize
> >it.  Can someone (Hans?) explain?
>
> busy ....
>
> if you want, you can use the new footnote module (that i made for idris)
> which gives you footnote classes that are configurable; i can more easily
> add new features to that one, so let me know if you want to volunteer ..
>
> Hans

Thank you,

Steffen

* Re: footnote marker
@ 2003-12-07 14:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-07 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 00:09 07/12/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>while desperately working on footnote markers I found this email from 9
>months ago.
>Is there in the meanwhile some news for a kind of "\setupfootnotemarker"?

what exactly do you want to achieve? one can influence footnote markers
using the conversion key

\setupfootnotes[conversion=set 2]

and alike; one can create his/her own set if needed

Hans

* Re: footnote marker
@ 2003-12-07 23:46 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-12-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

now I have got a quite good working solution with all individual settings...

\setupbodyfont[4pt]\setupinterlinespace[line=55pt]
\defineconversion[HowAboutIt][\ss]
\setupfootnotes[style=italic,conversion=HowAboutIt,numbercommand=]
\def\setfootnotebodyfont
  {\let\setfootnotebodyfont\relax
   \restoreglobalbodyfont
   \switchtobodyfont[8.5pt]\setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]}

\starttext
\input tufte \input tufte  \footnote{\input knuth }
test {\bf bold test} {\it italic test}\footnote{normal footnote {\rm roman footnote} {\it italic footnote} {\bf bold footnote} normal footnote {\rm roman footnote} {\it italic footnote} {\bf bold footnote} normal footnote {\rm roman footnote} {\it italic footnote} {\bf bold footnote}}
\stoptext

... BUT really annoying is this -- endless error messages;

bodyfont  : bodyfont xxxpt is defined (can be better done global)
bodyfont  : bodyfont xxxpt is defined (can be better done global)
bodyfont  : bodyfont xxxpt is defined (can be better done global)
bodyfont  : bodyfont xxxpt is defined (can be better done global)
bodyfont  : bodyfont xxxpt is defined (can be better done global)

In documents with more than 1 page this is really horrible (thousands of error messages!!)

How to avoid it??

Thank you,

Steffen

* Re: footnote marker
@ 2003-12-07 17:02 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-12-07 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 00:09 07/12/2003, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >while desperately working on footnote markers I found this email from 9
> >months ago.
> >Is there in the meanwhile some news for a kind of "\setupfootnotemarker"?
>
> what exactly do you want to achieve? one can influence footnote markers
> using the conversion key
>
> \setupfootnotes[conversion=set 2]
>
> and alike; one can create his/her own set if needed
>
> Hans

For example I would like to have footnote marker SansSerif.

If I would do it with the conversion key like this...

\setupbodyfont[4pt]
\setupinterlinespace[line=45pt]

\definefont [FNfont][Sans at 10.5pt]\def\setfootnotebodyfont{\FNfont\setupinterlinespace[line=13pt]}
\definefont [FNXfont][Serif at 10.5pt]\setupfootnotedefinition[style=\FNXfont]

\defineconversion[HowAboutIt][\ss]
\setupfootnotes[conversion=HowAboutIt,numbercommand=]

\starttext
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\input tufte \footnote{\input knuth }
\stoptext

... then suddenly the number in front of the footnote text becomes 4pt.
If I do it without conversion...
\setupfootnotes[numbercommand=]
... then the number in front of the footnote text is 19.5 -- as defined in FNfont.

That's why I felt the conversion key is not so reliable in this case.

Steffen