* TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000]
@ 2003-12-05  9:43 Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-12-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When using Hans' adaptation for typesetting bold math in a small example
everything went fine.
But when using it in a somewhat larger text I ran into the error: ! TeX
capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].
I remember a discussion a few months ago about this problem in MikTeX.
Is there any solution in MikTeX available?

Thanks,

Sytse

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000]
@ 2003-12-06  7:08 ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-12-06  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When using Hans' adaptation for typesetting bold math in a small example
> everything went fine.
> But when using it in a somewhat larger text I ran into the error: ! TeX
> capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].

I'm not sure how it works on MikTeX, but hash_size variable is (probably)
configurable. Why don't enlarge it? I come across simmilar problems with TeX
quite often. Enlarging variables helps (not always of course :)

Regards, Pawe/l

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000]
@ 2003-12-09  9:15 ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-12-09  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I got no solutions to this problem, my conclusion is that it is not
possible to enlarge the hash size parameter in MikTeX.
For serious work with ConTeXt I should therefore drop MikTeX and take e.g.
the TeXLive distribution.
Is this a valid conclusion?

Sytse

@ 2003-12-09  9:55   ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2003-12-09  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Sytse Knypstra wrote:

> As I got no solutions to this problem, my conclusion is that it is not
> possible to enlarge the hash size parameter in MikTeX.

> Is this a valid conclusion?

No. I've successfully done this once, but then I switched over to TeXLive
for other reasons. Unfortunately I don't remember any more what I did, but
this old message by Hans might help (he's talking about miktex.ini file in
the message, that may not be clear):

http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg11458.html

[In case I made a mess of copying the address, the message was sent by
Hans Hagen on April 13, 2003, that should enable you to find it in the
archives.]

I know there's more useful information on the matter in the mailing list
archives, but I cannot get any of the searches to work (neither in the
above archives or gmane.org archives). Somebody, can this be fixed at some
point???

Greetings from Finland,
			Mari

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash  size=35000]
@ 2003-12-09  9:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-09  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:15 09/12/2003, you wrote:
>As I got no solutions to this problem, my conclusion is that it is not
>possible to enlarge the hash size parameter in MikTeX.
>For serious work with ConTeXt I should therefore drop MikTeX and take e.g.
>the TeXLive distribution.
>Is this a valid conclusion?

if the hash is indeed that small tex live is indeed the way to go, fo
rinstance, in extensive cross referenced docs one easily needs lots of
extra hash entries

Hans