* Help a newbie with the Context/tex.iso setup
@ 2004-03-27  8:51 Vivek Sharma
From: Vivek Sharma @ 2004-03-27  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote....
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2
ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the mom...
perl/ruby
I tried the above download and extracted the iso files into a
folder on a win xp machine. running cscite.bat opens the scite editor
and running ctrl-F12 opens adobe acrobat but then stops. I append the
output in exampler window and the buffer below. How can I get it
running? Have anyof you guys got the ISO image working on a CD in winXP
professional? Please help this newbie start on using context.

regards
Vivek

Output of exampler
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
exampler + program exampler
exampler + version 1.0
exampler + author PRAGMA POD
exampler + commandline "--continue"
exampler + using environment setuppath
c:/cygwin/contextiso/usr/local/context/
tex/texmf-local/context/ruby
exampler + loading
c:/cygwin/contextiso/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/cont
ext/ruby/../examplap/scripts/example.exa
exampler - sub environment file machine.exa not found
exampler + !! presetting texroot to the root of current texmf tree !!
exampler + !! checking if texroot is set to a valid path !!
exampler + !! setting texmf variables based on texroot !!
exampler - sub environment file paths.exa not found
exampler - sub environment file local.exa not found
exampler + gone to jobpath
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\texmf-var/exampl
ap/jobs
exampler + jobpath
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\texmf-var/examplap/jobs
exampler + resultpath
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\texmf-var/examplap/re
sults
exampler + server started on 127.0.0.1:8061
exampler + listening at 127.0.0.1:8061 in loop mode
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Output of the scite buffer
%%%%%%%%%%
texexec --autopdf --pdf readme.tex

TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003

executable : pdfetex
format : cont-en
inputfile : readme
output : pdftex
interface : en
current mode : none
TeX run : 1

pdfetex: unrecognized option `--alias=context'
Try `pdfetex --help' for more information.

return code : 256
run time : 0 seconds

total run time : 3 seconds
Exit code: 1
%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: Help a newbie with the Context/tex.iso setup
@ 2004-03-29 18:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-03-29 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:51 27/03/2004, you wrote:
>Hans wrote....
>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2
>ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the mom...
>perl/ruby
>I tried the above download and extracted the iso files into a
>folder on a win xp machine. running cscite.bat opens the scite editor
>and running ctrl-F12 opens adobe acrobat but then stops. I append the
>output in exampler window and the buffer below. How can I get it
>running? Have anyof you guys got the ISO image working on a CD in winXP
>professional? Please help this newbie start on using context.
>
>regards
>Vivek
>

>Output of exampler
>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>exampler + program exampler
>exampler + version 1.0
>exampler + author PRAGMA POD
>exampler + commandline "--continue"
>exampler + using environment setuppath
>c:/cygwin/contextiso/usr/local/context/
>tex/texmf-local/context/ruby
>exampler + loading
>c:/cygwin/contextiso/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/cont
>ext/ruby/../examplap/scripts/example.exa
>exampler - sub environment file machine.exa not found
>exampler + !! presetting texroot to the root of current texmf tree !!
>exampler + !! checking if texroot is set to a valid path !!
>exampler + !! setting texmf variables based on texroot !!
>exampler - sub environment file paths.exa not found
>exampler - sub environment file local.exa not found
>exampler + gone to jobpath
>C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\texmf-var/exampl
>ap/jobs
>exampler + jobpath
>C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\texmf-var/examplap/jobs
>exampler + resultpath
>C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\texmf-var/examplap/re
>sults
>exampler + server started on 127.0.0.1:8061
>exampler + listening at 127.0.0.1:8061 in loop mode

that's ok since it listening to requests (in the tools menu yoy will find
an entry for the interface)

btw, i'll upload a newer version of exampler later this week, one that does
multithreading (and also works ok on linux -)

>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>Output of the scite buffer
>%%%%%%%%%%
>texexec --autopdf --pdf readme.tex
>
>TeXExec 4.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2003
>
>executable : pdfetex
>format : cont-en
>inputfile : readme
>output : pdftex
>interface : en
>current mode : none
>TeX run : 1
>
>pdfetex: unrecognized option `--alias=context'
>Try `pdfetex --help' for more information.

smells like a scite config error

I will look into it

Hans

* Re: Help a newbie with the Context/tex.iso setup
@ 2004-03-29 19:18   ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2004-03-29 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Hans Hagen wrote (on behalf of Vivek):
> >running? Have anyof you guys got the ISO image working on a CD in winXP
> >professional?

I have done this once on my XP corporate edition (for the TeXLive
package), but it took some fiddling and a lot of cursing, so nowadays I
have a workaround.

The real problem: The native CD burning program on Windows XP does NOT
understand .iso.

The XP solution: Get a program that knows how to either burn ISOs on CD or
rip them open so that you can burn the contents on CD (at least TeXLive
easily survives through this). I had something simple, I don't even
remember the name of it any more, but for example
<http://www.newfreeware.com/search.php3?q=burn+iso+image> looks like it
could help. I'm sure similar freeware/shareware is available all over the
place... "burn iso image" or "open iso image" or "extract iso image" might
be good search words.
If you want to replace the XP dummy CD burner with something good, it
might be a good idea to invest ca 100 euros to Ahead Nero, for example.

My workaround: I downloaded TeXLive at work, opened the bz2 package and
burned the ISO image on CD with my Win2k that has compatible software
(Nero, I think). This was a lot faster (and also easier) than losing my
patience by trying to extract and copy the iso image on WindowsXP.

The latest TeXLive installed beautifully from the CD to XP (except I still
don't know why my TOC doesn't compile now), getting to as far as the
installation phase was the hard part. (I'm NOT amused with XP's built-in
CD burning software.)

One of the Windows people,

			  Mari

* Re: Help a newbie with the Context/tex.iso setup
@ 2004-03-29 19:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-03-29 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 21:18 29/03/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Hans Hagen wrote (on behalf of Vivek):
> > >running? Have anyof you guys got the ISO image working on a CD in winXP
> > >professional?
>
>I have done this once on my XP corporate edition (for the TeXLive
>package), but it took some fiddling and a lot of cursing, so nowadays I
>have a workaround.
>
>The real problem: The native CD burning program on Windows XP does NOT
>understand .iso.

download cdrecord and ...

makeiso.bat

@ echo off

if not exist "%1.iso" goto usage
if not "%2"=="r" goto write

:rewrite

cdrecord -v -v -v -blank=fast -dao -dev=0,1,0 %3 %4 %5 %1.iso
goto end

:write

cdrecord -v -v -V -V -dao -dev=0,1,0 %2 %3 %4 %5 %1.iso
goto end

:usage

echo usage name [r]

:end