* Font/UTF-8 input question
@ 2004-04-27 12:26 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-04-27 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'd like to use a Unicode font such as Linux Libertine [1]. Besides
things which should happen "automatically" like ligatures, I want to
enter all characters directly in the UTF-8 file (including those wierd
characters). I remember that there is some UTF-8 support in ConTeXt, but
I don't remember the details. Is it possible to simply enter a character
such as U+FB02 or do I have first to adapt both the input encoding and
the font encoding files?

Tobias

[1] http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/
I think this is (at least for some documents) a rather nice font. It
contains ~412 characters, including those required by MES-1 (Multilinual
European Subset
<http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/cwa13873.pdf> No. 1 [2])
and is available in normal and italic (unfortunally no bold or small
caps, yet).
Note that this font still requires some polishing, but the nice thing is
that the author reacts rather fast to feature requests (though I
probably redeemed all my free vouchers for a few IPA characters ;).
[2] http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/cwa13873.pdf

* Re: Font/UTF-8 input question
@ 2004-04-28 17:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-04-28 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:26 27/04/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'd like to use a Unicode font such as Linux Libertine [1]. Besides things
>which should happen "automatically" like ligatures, I want to enter all
>characters directly in the UTF-8 file (including those wierd characters).
>I remember that there is some UTF-8 support in ConTeXt, but I don't
>remember the details. Is it possible to simply enter a character such as
>U+FB02 or do I have first to adapt both the input encoding and the font
>encoding files?

in prinicple regime utf should work for the input; characters are mapped
onto their symbolic names so fonts should go ok

with regards to unicode fonts: you need to create a 255 char variant (i.e.
ttftoafm and alike); i'm sure that some of the open type font guru;s on
this list can tell you how to proceed there

Hans