* Re:: \filbreak OK--TOC again--dupes in index.
@ 2004-04-30  8:10 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-04-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taking the last question first, when I switched over to
eplain and makeindex the error of my ways became
apparent--- a spurious space in an \index statement which
in makeindex sorts that item ahead of the letter "A". The
Context reaction to the error was different. But it was
clearly user error.

 Since I have a job to get out the door this week, and
tomorrow is Friday, I will continue with makeindex. I will
also  use the eplain macro for the TOC. An answer to my
earlier question in re. spacing in the TOC would be
welcomed however for future reference.

I will try \filbreak and see if anything breaks.

To make the eplain macros coexist with Context requires
commenting out one line in eplain.tex:
%\def^^L{\par}%

What this line does I have no idea.
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers

* Re: Re:: \filbreak OK--TOC again--dupes in index.
@ 2004-05-01 18:21   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 20:24 01/05/2004, you wrote:
>On Thursday 29 April 2004 10:10 pm, John Culleton wrote:
>
> > To make the eplain macros coexist with Context requires
> > commenting out one line in eplain.tex:
> > %\def^^L{\par}%
> >
> > What this line does I have no idea.
>
>Now I am told that It converts end of page characters (^L)
>to \par statements, and the extra ^ has something to do
>with making the statement non-outer. The error when using
>eplain with Context involves a category code problem which
>I don't comprehend but accept as gospel from those who do.
>A patch has been suggested by Karl Berry and will be
>implemented in eplain.tex in due course.

hm, the ^^ just tells tex that it's a control character

the definition indeed makes the command non-outer (simply because no \outer
prefix is used) as well as makes sure that

some text
<formfeed>
some text

is treated as two paragraphs

Hans

* Re: Re:: \filbreak OK--TOC again--dupes in index.
@ 2004-05-01 18:24 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2004-05-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 29 April 2004 10:10 pm, John Culleton wrote:

> To make the eplain macros coexist with Context requires
> commenting out one line in eplain.tex:
> %\def^^L{\par}%
>
> What this line does I have no idea.

Now I am told that It converts end of page characters (^L)
to \par statements, and the extra ^ has something to do
with making the statement non-outer. The error when using
eplain with Context involves a category code problem which
I don't comprehend but accept as gospel from those who do.
A patch has been suggested by Karl Berry and will be
implemented in eplain.tex in due course.

Almost all of the functonality of eplain is also provided by
Context so the need to use both is rare. There are a few
circumstances where the combination makes sense, such as
indexing where eplain plus makeindex  offers some
additional formatting flexibility, at the cost of an extra
step or two.